PDA

View Full Version : Savage 311c sxs with engraved wood and vented rib ... HELP?

gunmanmatt
October 7, 2011, 11:38 AM
I was recently given a Savage model 311C. It has engraved wood and a vented rib. I read that only the Fox model B version. This one plainly says Savage model 311c on the side. It has a double trigger also. What is going on? Also any help with determining a value would be nice. Im not expecting much but would love to know.

gunmanmatt
October 7, 2011, 11:47 AM
it also has a double trigger

gunmanmatt
October 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
what would be the value on this gun? im not expecting much but would love to know.

Scorch
October 7, 2011, 01:18 PM
Savage 311 side-by-side double shotguns are a utility/entry grade shotgun from days gone by, often fondly remembered by aging Baby Boomers (look up "nostalgia" for further info about that). This very solid shotgun was cheaply and plentifully made by the Savage Arms Company in numerous grades and sold under various names (Savage, Stevens, Springfield, Sears & Roebuck, etc, etc). The stamped checkering was artfully executed by a large machine in Massachusetts, then a coat of stain varnish was lovingly applied in a spray booth. After basking in the warmth of the artificial sunshine inside the drying booth, the wood was lovingly screwed to the metal parts with a large electric screwdriver. The vent rib is a clue to the late date of production of your shotgun, because by the 1970s it was virtually impossible to sell any shotgun without a gloss finish and a vent rib. These little gems generally sell for $350 to $600 or so.

oneounceload
October 7, 2011, 01:58 PM
What do you mean by "engraved wood"? That is has some checkering? Checkering is not for beauty (although some forms ARE artwork) - it is done to help you maintain a firm, non-slip grip on the gun

gunmanmatt
October 8, 2011, 09:07 AM
It is NOT checkering but detailed "designs" i have seen some with the checkering and this is completely different from checkering and does not look like it could have been stamped either.

oneounceload
October 8, 2011, 09:25 AM
How about some pics - be nice to see what this is

jaguarxk120
October 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
I thought the 311 was made by Stevens Gun Co. and Savage made the Fox.

OkieCruffler
October 8, 2011, 06:09 PM
They were one in the same. I've seen some later 311's that from a distance you wouldn't be able to tell from a Fox, my grandad had a .410 with a high rib and engraved reciever like I've never seen before, almost like a trap rib.

gunmanmatt
October 10, 2011, 11:40 AM
true that they are the same but doesnt the fox one say fox on it instead of stevens like this one does?

a7mmnut
October 10, 2011, 12:49 PM
Older 311's had walnut stocks(darker), vent. ribs, hand checkering, and the infamous "bird dog" engraving on the sideplates(thus the name). Your "C" model should only sport better wood:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=254026418

-7-

oneounceload
October 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
true that they are the same but doesnt the fox one say fox on it instead of stevens like this one does?

Mine is named as a Savage/Fox, it is the BSE, which is the Model B, Single trigger, Ejectors, not extractors - it also has nice walnut and cut checkering

OkieCruffler
October 10, 2011, 02:34 PM
I meant savage and stevens were pretty much one in the same. The Fox had mch different engraving on the reciever and a wider beavertail forend.

jmr40
October 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Mine is named as a Savage/Fox, it is the BSE, which is the Model B, Single trigger, Ejectors, not extractors - it also has nice walnut and cut checkering

Not disagreeing with you, but I've never seen one with real cut checkering unless it was done after leaving the factory. All have been stamped with the reverse checkering.

oneounceload
October 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
Usually, the stamped checkering had rounded edges on the outside portions of the checkering, this one does not. IF it the reverse you mentioned, then they did a great job with it, because it looks like cut. Of course, the case coloring looks genuine as well from the 70/80's