PDA

View Full Version : Okay, maybe the Springfield, but...

TinyDee
October 6, 2011, 08:56 PM
I posted and now am convinced to look carefully at Springfield for 1911 needs. That makes me want to know which one is the choice to have and why? If you were going to get a Springfield 1911, which one would you choose and by the way, tell me why you chose that one. And thanks to all ahead of time!

big_genius29
October 6, 2011, 09:17 PM
TRP

Why, because that is what I just ordered:D

From my understanding the TRP is a little nicer fit and finish over the Loaded.

I wish I had money for a Pro, or something from their Custom Shop. But I dont, so the TRP will do for now, then in the future it might be taking a trip to the Custom Shop.

Don Glock
October 6, 2011, 09:18 PM
SA makes great 1911's. you didn't list a price point, so i can't recommend a specific one to you.

big_genius29
October 6, 2011, 09:29 PM
I like like telling someone how to spend their money.

Go with a Pro:D

Unless you don't have that much to spend...

joegator
October 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
I purchased a SA Loaded a couple years ago. I think SA makes an excellent 1911 and the Loaded had the best combination of price and features. My experience with SA customer services has always been good. A SA 1911 is never a bad choice.

halfcocked
October 6, 2011, 10:37 PM
I picked up the Range Officer a few months back and don't regret it a bit. Fit and finish are great. For about $750 you get an all steel pistol with adjustable target sites, match barrel and trigger, beavertail grip safety and extended safety. I've only shot a couple boxes of ammo out of it but no hiccups. I think I like it more than my Kimber Pro CDP based on fit and finish (and I prefer a steel frame).

scottl
October 6, 2011, 10:57 PM
Lightweight Champion Operator...Bought it stricktly off looks.

KyJim
October 6, 2011, 11:08 PM
Springfield makes different 1911s for different uses and/or different budgets. I have a Springfield Loaded and it's a good solid gun. If money wasn't a problem, I would buy the Pro.

HKFan9
October 6, 2011, 11:29 PM
Lightweight Champion Operator...Bought it stricktly off looks.

The looks are nice... but the fit and finish and performance is top notch as well!!

I CCW my Lightweight Champion operator.... kept with the light weight theme of the alloy frame and bought a set of VZ Carbon Fiber grips for it....

Sorry for the blurryness.. from my cellphone...

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm312/HKFan9/Picture088.jpg

MidwestRookie
October 7, 2011, 03:09 AM
I'd go with a TRP..unless you can afford a PRO and feel like waiting a year, or whatever it takes now, to get it.

Don Glock
October 7, 2011, 03:13 AM
since we're posting pics, here's my champ op:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/Champion%20Operator/Pic009.jpg

Kreyzhorse
October 7, 2011, 04:27 AM
Well, if you don't mind spending around $1,500 or so, I'd go with the Springfield TRP. I own one and the gun is excellent. Very accurate, very well made and 100% reliable regardless of ammo type or maker.

If that's a bit much, I'd look at the Springfield Loaded.

Shane Tuttle
October 7, 2011, 05:43 AM
Come on, Dee. You've been around here long enough to not leave out your criteria. We need more details in order to narrow your search. Otherwise, people are just going to rattle off models with no sense of direction...

horseman308
October 7, 2011, 05:56 AM
Thinking specifically about Springfield, for under $1000, I'd get the Range Officer and some extra mags and ammo. If you can swing a bit more than $1000, then the guys recommending the TRP or Operator are probably right.

Sevens
October 7, 2011, 07:20 AM
I like the Range Officer for features at that price point. My buddy has a stainless Loaded and it's a very nice shooting pistol but it has features that just simply annoy me.

It has the ambi-safety which I really don't like. It has the forward serrations which i actually HATE. It's got a bright stainless finish that I think would look much better if it were a brushed, matte stainless like the Ruger SR-1911. The lettering on it is very uninspired and unattractive, IMO. And the FLGR is an annoyance.

Certainly, some of these things are easy to change. It's a NM-prefix and it's got a very nice trigger right out of the box, and is a fine shooter. But sitting next to the SR-1911, I simply don't find it nearly as attractive in so many ways.

I'd like the Range Officer a bit better if it were stainless or available in stainless for a few bucks more. But for the money, I'd be looking hard at the SR-1911.

EAJ702
October 7, 2011, 11:00 AM
THe MC Operator is very nice if you can't afford a TRP. :)

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/sa1911_02.jpg

Champ LW Operator w/ OE grips.

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/saco1911_04.jpg

Hardcase
October 7, 2011, 11:11 AM
I bought a Mil-Spec because it reminded me the most of the sidearm that I carried in the Navy. But without all of the rattling. The only competition shooting that I do is Steel Plate Challenge and as long as I do my part, it's way more than adequate.

TinyDee
October 7, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well, not sure what to add because I did ask which and why and that has come. I expect I will try to get the most gun for the best money and that is the other tips maybe. Sorry if this was confusing but it is not to bad for me to read...

KyJim
October 7, 2011, 02:24 PM
I will try to get the most gun for the best money That's the way to narrow it down! :D

Andy Taylor
October 7, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have a Mil-Spec that is a wonderful, just a bit more than basic 1911A1. I can highly recommend it.
Currently in the market for a more upgraded 1911 for CCW purposes. I have narrowed it down to the PX9104LP- the full size lightweight bi-tone. Now just waiting for the $$$ that should be here by the end of the month. :eek:

Eagleks
October 7, 2011, 10:43 PM
I really should have avoided this thread ... those .45's are nice.

bikerbill
October 8, 2011, 09:46 AM
I've had a 4-inch Loaded for several years, it's my nightstand gun and I love it ... at the time the TRP wasn't available ... I got mine with the greenish finish, now has Esmeralda wood grips on ... I chose it on Springer's reputation and the gun has been absolutely perfect since the day I took it out of the box ... also got a great deal on it from my local gunshop; he said the distributor had several green units he couldn't sell ... BTW, the color does not affect the gun's accuracy, which is excellent, or its' reliability, which is perfect so far ... I like a ramped barrel, which the Loaded has ... also like the ease of takedown for cleaning ... a great gun ... get night sights if you plan on using it for SD ...

10-96
October 8, 2011, 10:20 AM
Tiny Dee,
I think what Shane was trying to get at was- are you going to tote the firearm to the range and range only? Are you going to conceal carry it? CC it some, range it a lot? Get into formal match shooting? Home defense mostly with some range time for familiarity?

The reason there are so many questions is because SA has so many different arms in their lineup. The Range Officer is a great range/competition firearm- but I wouldn't want to carry the thing full time CC. The Champion is a great CC/home defense- but I wouldn't want to try to win any matches with it. The GI and MIl-Spec are quality budget line models that are simple and make you work for your good scores and are well heeled for the guy who's carried one for Uncle Sam but can't afford a straight up government issued .45. The TRP's and Pro's are great combat pistols, but they're kinda big for every day CC if you're not built very big. Also, they may not be for you if you're on a Top Ramen and pinto bean 5x week budget.

Hope that helps ya help us a little.

Shane Tuttle
October 9, 2011, 12:54 AM
Thank you, 10-96. That's what I mean...

test drive
October 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
depends on its job. if range/HD only id get a 5 inch gun loaded or better. if its cc/range/HD id go champion. if cc only id co champion or maybe micro. i have a champ and a micro and i think they are the best production line 1911s you can get.