PDA

View Full Version : 1911 curse

TinyDee
October 5, 2011, 07:11 PM
I went through a few 1911's and then just stopped. Now I want back and am going to ask advice. I like the Ruger, tough to find, but still like the Sig, the SW and Colt of course. Which would you choose in a re-do?

curioso
October 5, 2011, 07:32 PM
Sr with my experience with the mentioned model my advice to you is Springfield A-1 gob

Adamantium
October 5, 2011, 07:35 PM
I bought my first 1911 earlier this year, a Dan Wesson PM7, which turned out to be a lemon and after a worthless trip to customer service I did some research and fixed it myself. It works now but if I could go back in time and warn myself I probably own a STI Trojan or Springfield Trophy Match.

As it though I'll just shoot my Dan Wesson till it wears out, then figure something else out.

NJgunowner
October 5, 2011, 07:39 PM
1. Colt
2. Springfield
3. Sig
4. STI
5. Dan Wesson

Springfield and Colt are real close. Guy at work has a Sig 1911 that is really nice too, but my springfield Fully loaded has a nicer trigger and feel to it.

Big Shrek
October 5, 2011, 07:43 PM
How about a Glock 1911?
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/m1911/42154d1310191788-glock-1911-glock-1911.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist...:D

I like NJ's list :)

RsqVet
October 5, 2011, 07:45 PM
S+w and colt are two good options from your list, I find very few who are unhappy with their S+w.

Colt is always a gun you want to see and feel in my opinion, I have never seen a horrific one, however I have seen plenty that just were not "it" for the price point they are offered at so I would never buy one online or order one special through a shop.

Many, many folks like Springfield and I think that they are a good choice among many, however personally I exclude them on the basis of offshore manufacture. That is just me, and if the question was should I buy any number of brands of 1911 or a springfield my response would be springfield for sure.

Sig if you have had good luck before with them and like em go for it, they have a diverse product offering and are tight / accurate guns. That being said they had a learning curve that may or may not have been 100% resolved with time, I had a 2nd generation GSR and it was tight and shot well but 2 issues with fit / build made me get rid of it in favor of other 1911's. Not sure where they are at build wise right now, have seen teething issues and upgrades on the 238 which makes me scratch my head since it's a direct copy of the colt pony. Also I don't like the extractor on the sig.

The Ruger I think will kick a lot of makers butts when they can crank up production, lots of good stuff in terms of 1911 features, all american and at a price point that will be hard to beat.

Good luck... in a lot of ways it's hard to pick a BAD 1911, if I had to do it all over I would get a Colt series 70 re-issue. No use for the series 80 stuff and it's great as is, or as a base gun.

Kreyzhorse
October 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
Do not overlook Springfield. However, it's really hard to go wrong with Colt, Ruger or S&W but it's really hard not to put Springfield at the top of my list.

curioso
October 5, 2011, 07:52 PM
Is good to be re:)ady I do so love my A-1 Springfield 45

rduckwor
October 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have two DW's and a Sig. All three run well.

curioso
October 5, 2011, 08:27 PM
Well good night to y'all got work tom..thanks God got one

ShaulWolf
October 5, 2011, 08:33 PM
USMC and FBI both go with Springfield if that tells you anything.

georgepittenger
October 5, 2011, 08:43 PM
I bought a S&W early this yr and would def buy one again .

Great shooting gun .

george

Aguila Blanca
October 5, 2011, 09:32 PM
Colt.

I also own a couple of Para-Ordnance. Many people give Para bad press but mine have been exemplary. The only problem with the Paras is that they don't say COLT on the slide.

riverwalker76
October 5, 2011, 09:33 PM
S&W and Kimber are at the top of my list. I've owned a few Colts, but haven't been impressed by them yet.

Does Colt still produce firearms for civilians? Last I heard .... they stopped several years back.

RsqVet
October 5, 2011, 09:57 PM
Yes colt still makes guns... Sells them.... To civilians......

I think colts demise must be one of the most often mis predicted events in history

darkroommike
October 5, 2011, 10:29 PM
I have a Springfield GI, and a GSG 1911 .22, my next will be a .38 Super (probably a RIA), then maybe the Remington, then the SIG, a Dan Wesson, a Smith and Wesson, a Kimber, I just like them all.

KyJim
October 5, 2011, 10:40 PM
Colt, Ruger, Sig, SW, Dan Wesson are all good. A lot really depends on the options you want and your budget. The current Dan Wessons are outstanding pistols but are priced higher than most of the others mentioned (the Springfield Pro version used by the FBI is considerably higher).

I usually suggest you make a list of features and options you like with the most important at the top of the list. See which pistols have those options and then try to take a look at and handle each pistol. This will probably eliminate at least some choices.

horseman308
October 6, 2011, 06:09 AM
I just bought an STI Trojan in 9mm. It's a wonderful gun. I believe it's a bit more expensive than the Ruger, but it comes in a wider variety of chamberings. I love it and would buy it all over again FWIW.

Mrgunsngear
October 6, 2011, 09:41 AM
I have a S&W E series that runs flawlessly; it's an awesome gun. Springers are good 1911s too. I've had bad luck with Kimber though and I'd never buy another.

overkill0084
October 6, 2011, 10:01 AM
I have a SA Trophy Match. It's been fantastic. SA has something for everyone.
I also have a DW CCO. It seems a bit picky with magazines. It has been a pleasant surprise, once I found mags it likes. Easy to shoot well with great build quality.

EdInk
October 6, 2011, 10:12 AM
I would recommend a Springfield Armory 1911.

Whirlwind06
October 6, 2011, 10:43 AM
1911 = Colt
In my mind all else are copies. When I have the funds my next 1911 will be a Colt.

I have bought and sold a lot of low end 1911's RIA etc.
I had one Colt 1991 a1 that stupidly traded for an XD 9mm I just had to have. Don't have that anymore either, I was in that buy and sell/trade mode so I can try as many things as possible phase.

Sevens
October 6, 2011, 12:09 PM
This post above mine makes me chuckle.

We are talking about a handgun design that has been done by countless manufacturers... and Colt didn't invent a damn bit of it, they bought the design from the man we all know & love. The Govt issue pistols that made the handgun in to a legend were made by a whole run of different manufacturers, not just Colt.

To give an extra little laugh, the Colt 1991A1 is brought in to the conversation... it, all by itself, a cheapened copy of the design using inferior parts with a no-frills look and fit & finish, meant to hit a low price point. The 1991A1 is exactly that -- a copy. An ugly one at that.

The best 1911's that Colt ever made were long before the series-80 pistols and it created a whole new industry in our hobby -- serious pistolsmithing. It took very talented men to truly work the pistol over and make it a reliable and flexible platform. Back when Colt 1911's were at their best, real handgunners depended on revolvers for all that they did that a semi-auto wouldn't reliably do nearly as well.

1911 are fantastic pistols. The grand old Colt has a monumental place in history, especially in the arena of 1911 pistols. BUT if the "New Colt Holding Corp" implodes, the factory collapsed and the entire line and brand ceased production and closed their doors FOREVER, it wouldn't be but a tiny blip on the radar for TODAY'S shooters and lovers of the 1911 pistol.

Right now, Colt is relevant, and not much more than that.

WildBill45
October 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
I like the Ruger, tough to find, but still like the Sig, the SW and Colt

I do believe your question was in regard to the above bold name brands.

I have never had a good colt 1911, and I have had double eagles, 1911 SA, 10mm, and all have been problem children, but that was a while ago.

The Ruger is the least costly amongst the rest, otherwise they all ... the remaining choices ... should be selected by shooting them if you can find them in your local gun club or amongst friends and family. If it shoots good for you and is equal or better in the reliability area than the others, BUY IT!

WHAT MATTERS MOST IS THAT IT GOES BANG! WHAT DOESN'T MATTER, IS WHAT OTHERS OWN, YOUR GUN, YOUR LIFE, YOUR DECISION!

loose_holster_dan
October 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
wait. you want to go back? wth for?