PDA

View Full Version : Do We Have Many CAS Shooters Here?

Shotgun693
October 3, 2011, 08:01 PM
I've been shooting SAS since 1997. I used to shoot 3 matches a month but only one a month now.

Crunchy Frog
October 3, 2011, 09:23 PM
I don't know how many there are but there are some.

I've been shooting cowboy almost two years in Greenville, SC. I shoot at my home club and visit other clubs from time to time.

If any other forum readers are interested, I'd say give it a try. Cowboy shooters are usually very friendly and like to help new shooters get started.

I visited a club match of a different shooting discipline recently and (with the exception of a couple of guys I already knew) nobody said a word to me. At the cowboy matches we not only welcome visitors, we RECRUIT them!

Fingers McGee
October 3, 2011, 10:55 PM
I've been shooting CAS since 1999. Member of 4 Missouri clubs & Founding member of one of them. I've traveled to matches in numerous other states & have only met friends I didn't know I had at each match.

Magnum Wheel Man
October 4, 2011, 06:30 AM
new CAS shooter here, SASS number in the 93,000's... I'm "Leadin MyGun" on the cowboy range... I've only been to 4 matches so far ( one of them the MN state championship )... no, I'm not that good, but was invited to come anyway... I currently shoot 49er... but am thinking of shooting classic cowboy next year

it's been really fun, the club I shoot with holds the state championships each year, & has a full old west town to shoot up to 12 stages... I'm still new enough, that I make major improvements each time... only had one miss last time out...

... trying to figure out how to get the Mrs. shooting... I shoot a pair of 45 Montados, but have one single six in 32 Mag, will need to find another for her, & I have a really sweet, but un-modified 38 / 357 lever I'm currently using, I'll probably pass down to her, & look for a 45 Colt for myself for next year... already have 2 antique hammer 21" double barrels, though she'd like one of those CZ coach guns since she has that heritage... trying to think of a good Czech name for her to be my mail order bride, for next year

Jbar4Ranch
October 4, 2011, 09:23 AM
Been doing it for a dozen years, but for the past two years my job has interfered and the only regular match I can attend is on the first Sunday of the month.

I just set a new personal record this past weekend with eleven misses and two procedurals in a single six stage match. :eek: I thought I'd try out my daughter's old set of 3 1/2" Model P Jr's and see just how fast I could shoot them Gunfighter style... they handle fast, but I had about 50% misses on the two stages I shot them. :D Now I remember why I bought her 5 1/2"ers instead!

Noz
October 4, 2011, 09:30 AM
I shoot all I can. the past year has been brutal as far as economics are concerned and I've cut back a bit. Next shoot up is Possum Trot (Smoke Out in the Hills)and then on to Comin At Cha.

I'm seeing next year as being a bit better. Already looking at LandRun and Bahalia, MS. Arkansas State at Hot Springs, maybe Hell on Wheels, Us Open?
Too many shoots, not enough time.

Tanker6
October 4, 2011, 12:30 PM
As I've posted here before, I'm "Chickahominy Charlie" (which usually ends up being shortened to "Chick") in the SASS world. I started shooting last December with my 13 y/o daughter -- who promptly showed me up by winning her category (Buckerette) at the Texas State Match last May. In June, we added my youngest (8 y/o boy) to our shooting posse. He shot pistols only (got him some Heritage .22's) for a couple of months until I was sure he could negotiate the stages safely, then got him a Henry .22 and a single shot 12 gauge (little H&R Topper) last month. It's really funny to watch the posse members line up behind him when he shoots shotgun and try to catch the flying shells from his shotgun.

We shoot twice a month at our local club in Orange, TX and occasionally at our other club in Lake Charles, LA (they both shoot twice a month on opposite weekends). We also try to make some of the "big shoots" when we can afford it. We did Bayou Blast (Lake Charles' Up the Creek Gang Annual Shoot -- where I met Noz and Fingers), the Texas State Championship and the Defense of Old Ft. Parker in Mexia, TX last weekend. I really wanted to go to Comin' Atcha this year, but my bank account says, "No."

ChuteTheMall
October 4, 2011, 02:17 PM
"...trying to think of a good Czech name for her to be my mail order bride, for next year"

Czech Zinnamail?

Czechs Innamail ?

See Zee Targetz?

:D

oldmansbike
October 4, 2011, 02:20 PM
New CAS shooter here. Only shot in 3 matches so far. Wife and I are using same guns except shotgun. She uses Stoeger Coach gun I use a 97. First match wife was last with 22 misses and a procedural and I was 3rd from last with 12 misses and a procedural. Last match we shot last Sunday wife was third from last with 16 misses and I was 7th from last with 6 misses and NO proceduals. This is out of 40 shooters. We are slowly getting better.

Magnum Wheel Man
October 4, 2011, 02:21 PM
I think I have a really good name, but need to wait to post it until I get her a SASS number ;)

Magnum Wheel Man
October 4, 2011, 02:26 PM
OLDMANS... I did up a spread sheet, I figure I'm only competing against myself... you'll be suprised how fast you improve... my misses & proceaduals get cut in half every match I shoot, & I've been cutting my average stage time by 10 seconds each time ( obviously I can't keep that up much longer, before those numbers level off )... I was really wanting to shoot one clean match my 1st year... had one miss & 0 proceaduals last time ( my 4th shoot ) only one left this season... plenty of pressure this next & final match of the season...

Hawg
October 4, 2011, 04:36 PM
I gave up on it.

TXGunNut
October 4, 2011, 08:06 PM
If I could quit buying rifles & moulds & stuff I could probably afford to give it a try.

Hellgate
October 4, 2011, 11:27 PM
Been shootin' CAS since 1993 (SASS#3302). Shot "modern" the first year with a '61 Navy, flat top Blackhawk, brother's 20ga SXS and a borrowed lever gun. Went to Frontiersman (cap&ball) the next year and never looked back. Best folks in the world shoot cowboy.

Hardy
October 8, 2011, 07:02 PM
HG did you get my pm. Erased all my inbx [email protected]

WBH

Shotgun693
October 9, 2011, 08:35 AM
"...trying to think of a good Czech name for her to be my mail order bride, for next year"

Czech Zinnamail?

Czechs Innamail ?

See Zee Targetz?

Or 'Hot Czech'?

byronw999
October 9, 2011, 10:53 PM
I've been shooting about 5 years... Mostly at the home club, but do try and make other area clubs when it's not hotter than heck here.... Shoot mostly Frontier Cart Duelest... Fr Cart Gunfighter is also a lot of fun..

Hardy
October 13, 2011, 06:19 PM
Cruncy, did you get my PM. I am in Spartanburg.

WBH

Delmar
October 14, 2011, 07:24 PM
I tried it a couple of times with my cap and ball pistols and a borrowed riffle. It is fun, and I wish I could afford it, but I have simply decided that, unless I find a way to make more money, I can't justify buying a nice lever gun.

Crunchy Frog
October 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hello, Hardy. Yes, I did get your PM.

If you'd like to attend a match, you'd be welcome. Our next regular match is a week from Sunday. The following Sunday we are shooting a Wild Bunch match which is a different kind of fun.

I'll send you another PM.

SG29736
October 15, 2011, 01:02 PM
I've shot SASS matches for over 10 years. Blackpowder duelist (one handed). Now, I mostly shoot ICORE, IDPA some USPSA and occasional cowboy matches. Mark

Andy Griffith
October 15, 2011, 10:44 PM
I tried my first regulated cowboy match with 100% blackpowder shooting frontier class awhile back. They put some extra restrictions on me since they'd never had a fellow use blackpowder percussion revolvers in a match. :confused:

I think I was the only feller using blackpowder...I need mo' smoke. :D:D:D

Hardy
October 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
Cruncy--I did not get it please email me [email protected] 864 4157463-- I have good folks that want to join

WBH

Crunchy Frog
October 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
Sorry, Hardy. I've been sending PM replies but they come back to me with no actual reply.

I sent you an email with some information about our cowboy matches.

Hardy
October 18, 2011, 07:56 PM
Got It ! Printed it out and you will get some good honest and serious bp's over there --posting it on wall tomorrow THANKS!

SG29736
October 19, 2011, 02:33 AM
"I tried my first regulated cowboy match with 100% blackpowder shooting frontier class awhile back. They put some extra restrictions on me since they'd never had a fellow use blackpowder percussion revolvers in a match. "

Was it an actual SASS match? What kind of restrictions? Cap and ball revolvers are generally used in Frontiersman category. Also, was it a new club? Can't imagine they would have been around for long if they've never had a Frontiersman shoot there. Smokin Gator

Andy Griffith
October 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
Yes, it was a real regulated match- they just don't get a lot (any, really) of fellers out shooting percussion revolvers or frontier class- I think that several of the competitors were gaming for speed as their goal, rather than just having a good time. I did get a lot of questions on the percussion revolvers, and only had a single malfunction during the match, which I remedied quickly and continued. :cool:

Shotgun693
October 19, 2011, 06:30 PM
We, The South Texas Pistolaros, get several BP Shooters and at least one percussion Shooter a match. We are a small club.

Crunchy Frog
October 19, 2011, 07:10 PM
I can think of three of our regular shooters who have used cap and ball revolvers in our monthly matches. There are several more who shoot "Frontier Cartridge" with black powder loads.

I don't shoot black powder at this point but I always get a kick out of watching those who shoot the "Holy Black". It's just fun to watch.

Lead Zeppelin
November 1, 2011, 06:59 PM
I would like to start shooting SASS - in fact I joined this forum because I saw this thread! :) There are some very active clubs in my area and I have visited a monthly shoot.

However - I do not currently own *any* of the required guns. My spreadsheet says it will cost me ~$2000 to get started with the cheapest outfit of pistols, lever gun, coach gun & leather. That's money I just don't have right now. I know what the SASS shooters will say - they'll say the SASS folks are all super friendly, and they will happily loan me gear to shoot - and I have no doubt that is true - but that's just not my style. It would make me uncomfortable to be dependent on other people - and I really don't want to shoot someone else's guns.

So... For now I'll be a SASS mall ninja & fanboi. I'll go to the monthly shoots, watch & listen to the veterans, volunteer to police brass, etc. At least I'll get to wear my boots a couple of times a month! :p

Crunchy Frog
November 1, 2011, 07:25 PM
LZ, I hear 'ya. When I stated I had not one SASS-legal guns, no clothing, nada. I tell people to start with a decent quality gunbelt (leather is hard to share). Revolvers are not difficult to share in a match-when your "donor" has finished a stage, join him (or her) at the unloading table and holster the wheelguns. I shared revolvers for probably 3-4 months while I saved up for my own.

Long guns are easier to share. I saved my quarters and watched for a deal on a shotgun, then saved some more until I was able to get a rifle. It took me about a year to get everything.

Now, I admit by that time I was really feeling like a mooch but no one ever grumbled. I supplied my own ammo except where people asked me to shoot their ammo in their guns. In those instances I offered to buy ammo or components-all the offers were refused. I have since provided ammo and loaned guns to other new shooters, kind of a "pay it forward" thing.

If, while you are borrowing, you show up and carry your end of the log by helping to set up and tear down, pick up brass and perform other posse duties, you will more than pay your way. Your club will be happy to have you.

Now, I think it is possible to get outfitted for less than two grand. A friend of mine bought a pair of .45 Colt revolvers for $500. Let people know you are a new shooter needing hardware and deals will come your way.

It does cost a bit of coin to get decent guns. Don't waste your money buying junk that doesn't work. I get a lot of use and enjoyment out of my cowboy guns; well worth the money spent.

I have met some folks who just can't get comfortable with borrowing. For my part, if someone is willing to show up and help out, they are an asset not a liability and I'm proud to help them out.

Shotgun693
November 1, 2011, 09:26 PM
I've shared guns plenty of times. In fact I recommend that you don't buy guns until you've tried out some and know what you want.

Lead Zeppelin
November 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks Crunchy Frog - it really helps to hear that there are ways to get started without needing a big bankroll. Maybe if I hang around the folks enough, I'll feel better about being a moocher. That's also really good advice about buying the leather first and then the shotgun - I think if I could save my pennies and do that I would at least feel like I was bringing something of my own to the game. :cool:

As to the cost - don't forget that I'm in the People's Republik of Kalifornia - where everything firearms related is harder and more expensive than it is for you folks in the Free States. :p

Jbar4Ranch
November 1, 2011, 11:04 PM
@ Lead Zeppelin

Watch the pawn shops and ask around at the clubs you go to.

A few of my better purchases the past couple years...
I bought a NIB 20" Rossi 1892 .45 Colt in September last year for $350, a 5 1/2" Uberti .45 revolver on closeout in a neighboring town for $227.49 in January last year, a used Marlin .357 1894C in August 2009 for $249 at a pawn shop, another 1894C in nearly new condition off the SASS wire in August 2010 for $374.25, a very nice JM Marlin 1895CB .45-70 (side match rifle) two weeks ago for $450 from a friend who wanted a guide gun instead, a 20" Rossi/Puma 1892 .357 as new w/o box in January 2009 for $300, a seemingly unfired 20" Uberti 1866 .45 Colt just over two years ago for $575 off the used rack at a local gun store, three 5 1/2" Uberti Model P .45's AND three 3 1/2" Model P Jr .38 spl's for $327.75 each on closeout less than 11 months ago (that was an expensive day!).
SxS shotguns can be found fairly easily for under $250. For that matter, I use a single shot once in awhile just to see how I can do with it - $120 brand new most anywhere around here.

I outfitted my daughter in '07 when she came to live with me with similar purchases, and paid a whopping total of $749.99 for two new Model P Jr .38's, a used and very slick *pre safety* Rossi 1892 .357 ($300), and a used Stevens 311 20g ($100). In all fairness, one of the Model P Jr's was won at a larger two day shoot with $20 worth of raffle tickets. :D

Lead Zeppelin
November 1, 2011, 11:42 PM
Well, there ya go again bragging about the world outside Kalifornia. For some weird reason, none of the pawn shops around here have firearms anymore. We are pretty much limited to local gun shops, a few scattered big chain stores like Turners (none near me) and Big 5. Other than that, we hunt through the buy/sell forum on CalGuns and other foums or work with out of state dealers or GunBroker sellers that are willing to ship to a local FFL in Kalifornia.

At least single action revolvers are exempt from the restrictions of the Kalifornia "Safe Gun List" - don't even get me started on that nightmare... :mad:

But the weather is nice... :)

Magnum Wheel Man
November 2, 2011, 08:46 AM
I'm going to try to get my wife set up for next years season... will be looking for a match for my stainless Single Six in 32 mag for her, already have an extra double barrel, & will likely get myself a new 45 Colt lever gun, since I shoot 45 Colt Montados, & pass down my engraved 38 for her to use... once we started, we were really suprised how many women shooters there are shooting at the club I shoot at...

some are fully outfitted, some partially & some share guns with their men... one gal I kinda feel sorry for, shoots 2 different caliber handguns, one in 38 & one in 45 Colt, even has different grips, birds head on one, & conventional on the other... not sure if that would be better than sharing or not... she does alright, but I want my wife shooting at least the same grip frame & caliber in the handguns... they don'y have to have matching finishes, but I want to give her at least the advantage of shooting the same grip frame shape, & caliber

once guns are taken care of... come the harder part of womens clothing... she can probably get started with just a pair of jeans & a button down shirt... but I'm sure by the time next years state championships come round ( they are shot are the range I shoot at ) my credit cards will take a hit in the womens clothing vendors, of which there were several at this last years match... ( I bought a nice set of spurs there as well )

Lead Zeppelin
November 3, 2011, 09:48 PM
LOL - clothing is the easy part for me. We have good thrift shops around here, and (apparently) quite a few wanna-be cowboys who support the local charities!

I'm not going to be a stickler on clothing at the beginning. After a week of visiting thrift shops, I found a well-used pair of roper boots ($8), a collarless long-sleeve western shirt ($4), a shiny black vest ($4), suspenders ($2) and a beat-up felt hat ($5) that after a good brushing and a little time over some steam, should work out quite well. For now, I'll just wear some black jeans I already own - but I'll keep looking for better pants. Total investment to date: $23 :D

duelist1954
November 4, 2011, 02:24 PM
I've been shooting CAS since 1995. Love it.

haley
November 5, 2011, 09:23 PM
I am very interested in CAS. I attended a new shooters orientation put on by the Tejas Caballeros near Johnson City Texas last weekend. It was a great experience. More clubs should do that. They have a great range and club. I live in Reno NV. We have a couple of clubs in the area. I am sure that soon I'll be a member of one of them along with SASS. I'm trying to get the gear squared away first. I'm modifing a button up levi shirt and a pair of levi button fly pants to suit me. I have the boots and a hat that will suffice for now. I bought a new vaquero in 45 colt and ordered another that will be in the store on weds or thurs. I also ordered a Uberti 1873 short rifle in 45 colt. I don't know when I'll see that. Hopefully by spring. I think it is coming by clipper ship and a freight wagon. I have 2 Stoeger SXS shotguns. One coach one full size. Looking at a local guy for leather. I already have one of his ccw holsters and like it. Anyways I'm looking forward to CAS when it warms up. I'm thinking about shooting double duelist. I like the idea of developing my off hand shooting. Trying to get as much information as possible. What sort of dry fire practice drills do any of you do? Thanks Haley