PDA

View Full Version : 50s Bulgie Tok ammo

ks_wayward_son
September 30, 2011, 02:43 PM
Century has some tins of 800 for 180 bucks. Ive only shot the Polish through my Yugo. Been wanting to get some more rounds especially since the shortage. I know tok ammo will probably skyrocket further. What do you all think...maybe a case or two?

B. Lahey
September 30, 2011, 03:24 PM
The Bulgarian 7.62x25mm that I bought popped a lot of primers ("hey, lookey there, I didn't think hot gas was supposed to come out of that part of the gun!"), smelled like a dead animal on fire, and was packaged in decaying purple toilet paper wrappers (I'm still finding little bits of them). Worse than the 50s Czech I had, which is really saying something. Probably the worst ammunition I have ever purchased.

I still have a bunch, and have no idea what I'm going to do with it; I'm certainly not going to shoot any more of it.

ks_wayward_son
October 1, 2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think I'll be getting any of the Bulgarian stuff. Everybody probably knows or has heard about the bad lots with the "52" on the headstamp. There may be a good chance that there is a bunch of the 52s being mixed with other lots in the Century tins. I would probably have chanced it if it were a couple years ago...when ammo was 10 cents a round. However, when figuring shipping and what have you, the cost is now about a quarter/round. And, with the old stuff, there is bound to be cracks already in the brittle brass...definitely would want to discard them. I think I might wait for the Polish stuff again, maybe some other production...just not worth blasting apart my Yugo or my face. :rolleyes: Also, thanks for the warning, Lahey. Its what I sort of expected, but just wanted to see if there were some other opinions also.

viciouskitty
October 2, 2011, 02:13 PM
I shot about 800 rounds of the bulgarian 50's stuff. There was many cracked necks but i shot them all thru my yugo tokarev anyway and i had no problems didn't run across any popped primers either.

ks_wayward_son
October 8, 2011, 10:06 PM
Went ahead and ordered some of this ammo...although it was from Classic Arms. They had a much better deal. 120-something for 800 rounds, plus a couple more 100 round packs for 20 bucks. I haven't shot any yet, but the rounds I looked through had no blemishes/cracks. Also, the entire lot, if I noted correctly, was 1954 production. Centerfire Systems and SOG also has similar prices. Additionally, Centerfire has the Polish production ammo available...9.00 for 70 rounds. I believe now is THE time to stock up fellas. ;)

Whoops...just saw that the Polish is unavailable now.

B. Lahey
October 8, 2011, 10:56 PM
Ha! Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. :)

Be careful to avoid catching a lungful of the stank. Seriously, it will choke you out. Hopefully a pistol won't put out as many stank units in close proximity to the face as the carbine I shot mine out of.

retiredcoasty
October 11, 2011, 07:43 PM
I have never had any problems with Bulgarian ammo and have shot a couple cans of the stuff. The necks tend to crack but I never suffered a misfire. I just laid in over 850 rounds of Chinese ammo too and it seems to shoot okay. I guess we need to buy it while we can!

Webleymkv
October 14, 2011, 01:14 PM
If it's the stuff in 16-round paper packets, I've used it before in my CZ-52 without any complaints. The only problems I've ever had from surplus 7.62x25 ammo was misfires, the worst being Czech stuff on 8-round stripper clips (3-5 misfires per magazine).

The best ammo, next to S&B or Norinco commercial, is 80's manufacture Romanian, but it seems to have dried up.