PDA

View Full Version : New Build Ideas...

4T4MAG
September 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
I am going to build a new rifle and have been looking at a few different barrels and actions. I am wanting to shoot 600 yds. I have never shot a 1000 yds but would like to. Cal. is still a little open. I am looking at .300WM .338Lapua. What Cal should I be looking at for this build?

For the barrel I am looking at Krieger or Lilja.

For the action I was thinking about going with a Surgeon. Any other recommends?

The stock I will be using a McMillan.

What trigger should I use?

saands
October 3, 2011, 05:41 PM
Before you pick your caliber, look at (study) what projectiles are available. I started off shooting in that 800-1000yd range with a .30 cal (both 308Win and 300WM) and quickly got frustrated by the scarcity of high BC bullets on the market. I made myself a 7mm-08 AckImp and had WAY more effective range (and fun) with that than I did with the 300WM. Plus it uses HALF of the powder that a WinMag does! I usually build on Mauser 98 actions, so when I wanted to step up another notch, I built a 330 Dakota because it was the biggest 338 that I could find to put on a Mauser. With it's 27" bbl. we hold our own with the bigger 338's but I do know that I could have done more if I had been willing to go all-in with the 338 LM or one of the Rem Ultra Mags in 338. Anyway, I do all my own machining so convenience, familiarity, and cost came into play.

Good luck,

Saands

mapsjanhere
October 3, 2011, 06:04 PM
If you're reloading, look into the RUM series, the brass is beltless and (IMO) easier to reload than the belted magnums. My 300 shoots well with Berger 210 VLD, and has a Lilja barrel in a defiance action.