PDA

View Full Version : c&r pistols

woody wood
September 29, 2011, 08:45 AM
just orderd a romanian tokarev and a polish p64 from classic today-anything to keep an eye on once i get them.
i bought a yugo tokarev a few months ago and looked to be unissued/new.
have only put a 100 rd through it, but slide seems to jam on rounds when feeding.i think it is the magazines?anything that is common to modify on these guns to help.

doofus47
September 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
How is the tokarev (I am assuming) jamming?

Mine jammed in a way that the empty cartridge would be pinned to the slide by the incoming new, unfired cartridge. It didn't happen with all my mags, just some. To my discredit, I didn't sit down and ID any particular mag that was more problematic.

I assumed that overpowered mag springs and slow extraction were the tag-team culprit, since I had surplus mags from several different countries, but I never got around to changing them. I cleaned up the slide rails and greased them with dry bike chain wax lube and changed my recoil spring and 95% of the episodes went away.
If all else fails, get some standard strength springs from Wolff and see if I was right... :)

Other suspected culprits:
1. under-powered surplus ammo. No chrono/no data to test this theory.
2. bad extractor (but in my opinion if this were the cause, I would have seen this episode much more.)
3. bad ammo casings that split and were "fighting" a clean removal. I only found a few of the jammed cases were split very noticeably, so I doubted this. Again, cleaning the rails and replacing the springs wouldn't have helped this.
4. The Illuminati

How's the p64? I'm looking hard at those.

saands
October 3, 2011, 06:51 PM
The P64 is a GREAT little pistol. There is a forum that is dedicated to just that model and will have a wealth of info for you. You will notice that the DA pull is a real bear, but there are things you can easily do to help it.

http://www.p64resource.com/forum/

one thing to avoid with the P64 is the heavy (115-120gr) 9x18 ammo ... it is just a little too much for it. The good news is that there is hardly any of it out there any more. A stiffer recoil spring is also available from Wolff and really helps take some of the sting out of shooting the little guy.

Enjoy!

Saands

Rmasters3
October 4, 2011, 02:04 PM
I took my Yugo M57 and CZ-75 to the range and similar jams in both guns shooting some old MILSURP Yugoslav ammo. Don't have any other ammo for comparison, but the fact both guns jammed in the same manner tells me either I am doing something consistantly wrong or there are ammo issues. In both guns I got a FTF and couldn't retract the slide to eject. One unfired cartridge I eventually got to eject had a very small indent on the primer and some rough edges around the bullet, but I didn't see any split necks. I kept one unfired/jammed cartridge and reloaded another and it fired.

Don P
October 4, 2011, 03:21 PM
Rmaster3, I would say ammo related being both guns having the same issue with the same ammo. Save the spent brass and reload

Doyle
October 4, 2011, 03:26 PM
P-64 is one of the greatest values still available. Totally solid and reliable little pistol and great fun to shoot too (once you change out that blasted main spring). I can't think of a more accurate "little" pistol.