PDA

View Full Version : Question for the '03 Springfield collectors out there.

LarryNTX
September 18, 2011, 02:07 PM
A local pawn shop has a Springfield 1903 Mark I.
It does not look like it has gone through a WWII arsenal rebuild. It has the original stock with the relief cut for the Pedersen device ejection port, correct magazine cut-off, and nested sears. Barrel is dated 1918 and the bore is clean and shiny. The metal finish is very good with no rust or pitting.
The bad news is the stock has obviously been sanded and refinished. The inspector's cartouche and circle P proof marks are barely visible.
Does anyone know what a fair price for one of these is. I've checked the auction sites like Gunbroker and Auctionarm, and the prices are all over the place, anywhere from $600 to over $3000.
Any help you can give in placing a value on this would be appreciated.

mkk41
September 18, 2011, 02:26 PM
Mark Is really didn't seem to make it into the rebuild stream like the standard '03. And since the Pederson device is so scarce and expensive , the rifles really don't generate much collector interest unless in tiptop shape. CMP was last selling them at $450 IIRC. If it's got a good bore with little throat erosion and muzzle wear , $500 would be a good start.

PetahW
September 18, 2011, 04:33 PM
FWIW, unsold/asking prices & unbid auction starting bids are not good indications of value.

Better, is to research only sold/closed gun auctions, to see how much someone has actually been recently willing to pay for one in like condition.

LarryNTX
September 18, 2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks, it looks like we're all in the same ballpark. It's listed for $575 and I had offered $500. The owner of the shop is usually willing to haggle a bit, but he said that he had just got that one in and couldn't come off the price any yet.
If it's still there in a couple of weeks, I might try again.

KBM1
September 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
With the original barrel, stock (even though refinished), and Mark I internal parts $575 is a good price. The internal Mark I parts are worth over $100 maybe more if you can find them.

Mike Irwin
September 20, 2011, 01:23 PM
"to over $3000."

Those had better come with Pedersen Devices for that kind of bling!

Jim Watson
September 20, 2011, 01:47 PM
I agree with KBM. These days, the $350-$450 CMP Springfields are being recycled by speculators at ever higher prices, although with some slowdown in the Great Recession.
A price of $575 for a Mk I with the original parts seems reasonable even with the stock refinished.

LarryNTX
September 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well, I bought it. Here's what it looks like.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/eightball44/SANY0851.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/eightball44/SANY0854.jpg

Jim Watson
September 20, 2011, 03:04 PM
Looks nicer than mine, and mine has standard parts and a stamped magazine follower. Good catch, sanded stock and all.

James K
September 20, 2011, 04:14 PM
Mike wrote:

""to over $3000." Those had better come with Pedersen Devices for that kind of bling!"

I think one with the Pedersen device would run just a tad over $3000. Like close to $100k. Certainly out of my ball park.

Jim

sgms
September 20, 2011, 07:45 PM
Larry NTX yours is one fine looking rifle good score. The Pedersen Devices is currently running from between $18,500.00 to $25,000.00 for the device by it self. Rifle not included and, most of the ones out there are not real or parted, new and remade parts. Those aren't worth a lot.