PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Advice - First Centerfire

WNY Tony
September 18, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, and have been searching the past threads for a bit. I have hunted almost exclusively with shotguns for whitetails and waterfowl in NY. I want to add a 30-06 rifle to my collection for hunting whitetail, elk, caribou, and some target shooting. My budget is the $500-$600. I know there have been several posts similar to this in the past, and I have read most of them, so I apologize if this looks like a repeat. I did have some specific questions about Weatherby Vanguard S2, Tikka T3, and Browning A-Bolt II. I don't know very much about Savages, but understand that they are in that range as well.

Criteria:

1. Most accurate I can buy in that price range. Would like to think that sub MOA is pretty standard for this range, but if one of the above is better than the others, please help.

2. Adjustable Trigger - I would like to dial down the trigger to 2-3 pounds. I did have questions about 2 stage triggers? Is that an advantage to single stage?

3. I really can't decide on wood vs synthetic. Everything I read says get the synthetic for a hunting rifle, which is good, because I believe that my price range will dictate synthetic. Of the above three, which one is best? Weatherby has a monte carlo stock that they claim reduces recoil, any truth to that?

4. Weight - Tikka is obviously the lightest in the group. Will the lighter rifle be harder to steady off-hand?

To summarize my findings:

Browning A-Bolt II Synthetic
-would need to purchase an aftermarket spring to bring down the trigger pull.
-no guarantee on accuracy, but have read good things.
-single stage trigger

Weatherby Vanguard S2
-Guaranteed sub-moa out of the box
-Monte Carlo stock - still trying to understand if this is a good or bad thing.
-'match quality' 2 stage trigger that is adjustable

Tikka T3
-Lightest of the group
-Single Stage Trigger that is adjustable
-Guarantees sub-moa out of the box

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

DnPRK
September 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the site! :D

The Monte Carlo "hump" provides a better surface for repeatable cheek weld when using a scope.

Single vs 2-stage triggers is a matter of preference. I have rifles with both types, but I prefer 2-stage triggers for accuracy. You can take up the majority of pull weight with the 1st stage, then pause for sight picture and breathing before taking up the last few ounces of the 2nd stage.

jimbob86
September 18, 2011, 12:22 PM
By far the best deals out there on centerfire rifles are the consignment racks at Gun stores ...... L'il Brother just put in an offer of $350 for an A-Bolt II in 7-08 ...... the rifle has been there 4 months, and has a few cosmetic dings, but is nearly unfired...... He could put a pretty spendy piece of glass on it and it still would not add up to what MSRP would be w/o rings and scope.

At the same store, he got a Remington 721 in .270 WIN, with a Weaver 3x9 scope, a bunch of brass and bullets, a Lyman hand reloading kit, and most importanly, the former owners load data and notes, for less than $400 OTD.....

Right before deer season might not seem like the best time to buy, but many folks are selling the rifle they have to finance the "Newest, Bestest Magic Gun"...... when there is nothing at all wrong with the rifle they have.

ndking1126
September 18, 2011, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the forum!

As you've probably found out by reading other posts, this is really a Ford vs. Chevy question. Right now there are my great guns at very reasonable prices.

Assuming you put your criteria in your order of preference, I would recommend a Savage 110. Here's why:
1. Probably Savage will be the most accurate out of the box. Each rifle is different. Even if Savage is the most accurate 99% of the time, you may get the one that isn't as accurate. I like the Vanguards, but it's my understanding that they test fire each rifle and any rifle that shoots under MOA at 100 yards, they label as such. Seems to me by buying a regular Vanguard, you are guaranteeing yourself a rifle that isn't a sub-moa shooter. Maybe not though.. I have no experience with Tikkas. It just seems to me like owning a Tikka rifle is kind of like joining a cult. Once you've bought one, you've sold your soul to Tikka name brand and you can't ever buy anything else :) I guess that could be a very positive think for their reputation, though.

2. Accutrigger (Savage) is adjustable and awesome. Most people love it, but some people hate it, so find on a shelf and try it just to be sure.

3. No comments from me.

4. .30-06 has a decent kick. I personally like mine to be heavier to help with recoil. And yes, I find the light rifles are harder to hold steady when shooting off hand.

TXGunNut
September 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
To get the most rifle for your budget take jimbob's advice and cruise the used gun racks at pawn shops and even Cabelas or Bass Pro and any gunshop in between. If it's not there now it'll show up eventually, if you see something you like don't walk away from it, it won't be there when you come back. It's hard to wear out a quality rifle. Some of my favorite rifles are someone else's discards, the few rifles I've been unhappy with were bought new.

Te Anau
September 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
You might as well throw a Howa 1500 into the mix as well.

http://www.howa1500.com/category/811-Howa_1500_Rifles_3006.aspx

Jim243
September 18, 2011, 01:14 PM
Most accurate I can buy in that price range

Savage!

Adjustable Trigger - I would like to dial down the trigger to 2-3 pounds

Savage with the Accutrigger!

I really can't decide on wood vs synthetic

Personal choice

Of the three you have listed, I would go with the T3, just a nicer (better made) rifle. But if you want supper accuracy, I would still say Savage.

If you get the T3 then get it in stainless steel.

Jim

Cowboy_mo
September 18, 2011, 01:19 PM
I think there is one other rifle you may want to consider. The T/C Venture is in the 4-5 hundred price range and comes with the scope bases. These rifles are moa or better guaranteed and have a nice synthetic stock and recoil pad. I bought one in .30-06 about a year ago and love it. Also the T/C trigger on this rifle is adjustable without having to remove the action from the stock.

I also own a Weatherby Vanguard in .270. It is also a sub moa rifle (before they started charging extra for the ones that shot sub moa in test fire).

The Weatherby has a Monte Carlo stock but the T/C does not. I think it is a toss up which of these rifles I like to shoot best.

If you decide to go "used or pre-owned" (at least in the St. Louis area) don't bother with Cabelas or Bass Pro but do check the local gunstores. Around here, Cabelas and BP ask new price for their pre-owned stock.

Good luck and enjoy whatever selection you make:D

jagwire
September 18, 2011, 01:30 PM
The Savage would be in your price range as many above have stated. Also as many above have stated the savage has the reputation for good out of the box accuracy with the good accutrigger. But I would suggest you handle one first. I could never bring myself to buy a savage after actually handling one. The Savages I've handled have more plastic and aluminum parts than I like to see on a rifle. I have fired three different Savage rifles and I just can't get past the "cheapness" of Savage rifles. But this is just one man's opinion.

TXGunNut
September 18, 2011, 01:32 PM
If you decide to go "used or pre-owned" (at least in the St. Louis area) don't bother with Cabelas or Bass Pro but do check the local gunstores. Around here, Cabelas and BP ask new price for their pre-owned stock.-cowboy_mo

Same usually true @ the Ft Worth Cabelas as well but if you get on their mailing list they'll often send you a coupon for 10 or 20% off. I paid too much for a used .30-06 there yesterday but I know the gun and feel it's worth more than the current market value. They are open to haggling but I couldn't muster a decent poker face with this one. :D Wish I could have used a 10-20% off coupon like I did on the last one.

38superhero
September 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
Savage Edge FTW...

Eghad
September 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
I am a Savage and Browning A Bolt Owner. However, any of the rifles you mentioned would do what you want. Shop around for the best price. You should put Savage on the List as well.

bailey bud
September 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
+1 on the used gun rack at Cabelas and/or Bass Pro.

It was at Cabelas that I found my heart's desire ---- a used M70 .30-06 (which incidentally - was in your price range).

I also learned that you can haggle at both of those stores.

hooligan1
September 18, 2011, 02:54 PM
Weatherby Vanguard, is the pick of that litter, so to speak, but the Savage 111 has a package that you can't go without checking out. ;)

stevelyn
September 18, 2011, 03:07 PM
Tikka. It lives up to its reputation and claims.

jmr40
September 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'd buy the Tikka in that price range.

PawPaw
September 18, 2011, 03:13 PM
Twenty years ago, finding a rifle that would shoot all its ammo into an ich was a big deal. Not so much anymore. Advances in manufacturing methods and metallurgy have made it almost ho-hum to manufacture an MOA rifle. Ammunition has gotten better, too, to the point where just about anyone can have the finest rifle and ammo that the manufacturers can produce. I've shot MOA groups with 30 year old Win 94s and factory ammo.

The fellows at Guns America recently conducted a test where they took four rifles out of the box, mounted a scope and all shot sub-MOA. Some of them very sub-MOA. They shot (http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/minute-of-angle-moa-accuracy-out-of-the-box/) Sako, Savage, T/C, and CZ. All shot into the magic inch.

What's more important is whether or not you can shoot into that magic circle. In this golden age of rifle manufacturing, the human on the other end of the stick is the unknown variable.

Try as many as you can, then plunk down your money and take your chances. Chances are you'll get a rifle that shoots better than you do. Then, spend your money on ammo and start shooting.

Loader9
September 18, 2011, 03:25 PM
Tony, skip all of the arm chair critics comments. Most any of the current makers have all of the features on rifles that will fit your needs. But until you put that rifle against your shoulder and it feels right, you're still looking. Go to any large gunshop and try them out. Accuracy is pretty much a common thing for a hunting rifle. Rare is the bad shooting rifle with todays manufacturing technologies. And don't limit yourself to just the brands you've listed, try them all. If the rifle fits, you'll be far happier with it and you'll shoot it better than one that doesn't fit and feels awkward.

WNY Tony
September 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
Loader9, good points. There is no doubt that I need to put these guns in my hand and feel what fits me well. I have shouldered the T/C venture and was not impressed, did not feel right.

I have shot a friend's Browning A-Bolt 30-06, and it performed well, and felt good.

I need to look into the Savages. To be honest, they have a lot of numbers that are very similar 111, 114, 116, 110, Edge. Need to understand the differences between them. More research to do.

PawPaw
September 18, 2011, 03:44 PM
I need to look into the Savages. To be honest, they have a lot of numbers that are very similar 111, 114, 116, 110, Edge. Need to understand the differences between them. More research to do.

Yeah, their numbering system seems intimidating at first, but Savage basically only builds three rifles. The short action, the long action, and the Axis (or whatever they're calling it this week). Two digit numbers are short action, three digit numbers are long action.

110- basic rifle.
111 basic rifle with scope mounted
116 basic rifle in stainless steel
114 Classic series.

We old Savage guys break them down into two groups. Short action (Model 10) or long action (Model 110). We generally don't pay any attention to the specific model number. It's either a long action or a short action. The rest of it is simply accessories, like scopes, magazines, or stocks.

giaquir
September 18, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hello , buy an older Rem 700
in whatever caliber you want.
(one can't ever go wrong with a 30-06)
and a bushnell 3200 scope.

you can adjust the trigger and never
look back. Truth.

Without any extras,my Rem700
(270) will put 3 shots completely hidden
by a quarter at 150yds.

Marquezj16
September 18, 2011, 06:26 PM
Weatherby Vanguard - own one in 30-06. It's a sportster, walnut Monte Carlo Stock. Shoots great, cheek weld is one of the best - trigger is good as is.

Tikka T3 Lite - own one in .308. Synthetic stock, cheek weld is ok. Shoots lights out, and the best factory trigger of any of my rifles.

X-bolt (I know it's not an A-bolt) - own in .270. Wood stock, great shooter and good trigger.

If I had to chose just one, I'd pick the Weatherby.

I looked at the Venture and did not like the way it felt.
I have not tried to buy a Savage yet.