PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy compare: S&W M&P full size vs compact

oboe
September 9, 2011, 11:50 PM
I'm discovering the challenges of concealed carry of a full size pistol. I can see that shorter barrel and grip can make a significant difference in concealability and comfort. I carry S&W M&P 9mm full size.

So I'm thinking: What's the accuracy comparison with the M&P 9mm in full size and compact? Say, at 7 yds, 15 yds, 20yds?

Also, how much more concealable and comfortable would the compact be?

7jinxed7
September 10, 2011, 12:03 AM
I carry a M&P 9c and it's pretty comfortable in my M-Tac holster. I also previously owned a M&P 45 fullsize. As far as carry it's alot more comfortable with the compact personally. I carry a g23 4" on occasion also and it can be a little annoying cause i'm always bumping the barrel when sitting and bumping the butt of the grip. The compact M&P is easily concealable with and without the grip extension,no printing or bumping at all. Their isn't much difference with the extension as far as concealing and accuracy.

As far as accuracy between the compact and full size, i don't find much difference in them. If it's for carry go with the compact you won't regret it. You can always get x-grips to use full size mags for the range but personally i think their butt ugly.

Just my 2 cents.

Mrgunsngear
September 10, 2011, 04:48 AM
I carry both the full size 9, full size 45, 9c, and 45c models pretty frequently in my crossbreed supertuck. The compact models do carry better IMO.

That said, I can't tell the difference in accuracy (I'm as accurate with my M&Ps as any gun I own). I can however tell the difference in follow up shots. With both the 9 and 45 my follow up shots are slightly slower due to the shorter grips and my large hands. Even with that I feel very confident with either the compact or full sized models.

Mercenary
September 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
A good friend of mine has a XD 9mm 4" and a XDsc 40 3". To my amazement I shot MUCH tighter groupings with the 3" at 7 yrds. At 15 yrds I could still hit bullseye with the 3" however the 4" began to shine here with the tighter groups.

I have a full sized M&P 9mm and now am considering the compact. Just not sure if I want to get rid of my full size to get it or save up a few more months and get the compact.