PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a p64

SPUSCG
September 6, 2011, 09:02 PM
Decided to check it out, i want a subompact type gun and thought this may be cool. I love historical milsurp. Ill make a review when i get it, thinking of updating with wolff springs.

bumnote
September 7, 2011, 10:03 AM
Order the Wolff spring when you order the gun...the DA pull is ungodly heavy. I also install the 22lb recoil spring as well. These are great little pistols, mine became my warm weather carry this summer because it was so easy to conceal compared to the K-frame S&W I normally carry. I've put over 500 rounds thru this thing, nothing but cheap surplus ammo, and it's functioned perfectly. The sights are lousy, but for SD purposes i've found that lining up the load chamber indicator on the target will work good enough @ 20' or less. It's unforunate the sights aren't any better because it's a very accurate pistol. Some find the recoil a bit snappy, I didn't...if fact I think it's less than most 380's I've shot. The stronger recoil spring may be helping tame some of the snap.
I think you'll enjoy it, two friends of mine bought one after shooting mine. Extra mags turn up from various online retailers...but seem to sell quickly. I bought 3 extras at round $18-20 each...all were new and unused.

Cheapshooter
September 7, 2011, 01:43 PM
Very happy with the one I got. the DA was pretty stout, so I to put in the Wolf spring. It made it much lighter, but it still can use some smoothing out.
Great guns, and probably the best C&R value today!

m.p.driver
September 7, 2011, 02:23 PM
Own two ,spring replacement is a must.There's a forum dedicated to this pistol so you'll have to check it out for upgrades.Recoil is a little stout,and as mentioned sights are miniscule.MMC used to make replacements sights for Maks,and Novak made them for the Colt Pony.I've kept my eyes out for one of the two to see if they'd work on the 64.

noelf2
September 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
I bought 2 of them a couple months ago. I don't find the DA pull to be unbearable, and the SA pull is perfect. I'll leave them alone. I heard that lightening the DA pull with weaker springs will also affect the SA pull and can make it too light. Recoil spring is another story. I think I'll get wolff springs for that. Nice guns. Glad I got them.

Doyle
September 7, 2011, 02:52 PM
I heard that lightening the DA pull with weaker springs will also affect the SA pull and can make it too light.

That was not my experience. SA pull didn't change that I could notice (but then, I don't have a pull scale so my judgement is subjective).

One thing that was inportant for me - change the left side grip panel. The ones that they are normally imported with have a thumb rest. That rest is a little bit of a plus when shooting, but it is a negative if you want to pocket-carry. There are flat left-side plates available that make pocket-carry much more pleasant.

bumnote
September 7, 2011, 07:52 PM
I heard that lightening the DA pull with weaker springs will also affect the SA pull and can make it too light.
It's two different springs. Once the hammer is in the SA mode it's the small .50" spring that's between the disconnector and the slide stop. My SA pull didn't change, but even with the Wolff spring and that lighter DA pull that next SA pull can be surprisingly light. I don't have a scale but I think it might be 4lbs tops. It's something I had to get used at the range when I started carrying this one.
I'd agree with m.p.driver...buy two if you can. I'm plan on getting another for myself soon, if for no other reason than parts. At some point people are going to figure out $170-190 for these things are a steal.

SPUSCG
September 7, 2011, 10:24 PM
Wondering, being based on the ppk any chance of slide bite? I know the ppk's rep for railroad tracks.

Doyle
September 8, 2011, 08:09 AM
I've never had one bite - but then my hands are pretty normal sized. I imagine if you had either very large hands or if you are a little careless with your grip it could bite you.

Skadoosh
September 8, 2011, 08:26 AM
Worst trigger I have ever experienced. And the safety is very hard to manipulate. And it kicks pretty good. But aside from these issues, the fit and finish is surprisingly high and overall the P64 is very accurate. It even has a loaded-chamber indicator.

SPUSCG
September 8, 2011, 10:04 AM
I have a large hand but not xtra large. I shoot small guns thumbs locked down so guess i should be fine.

SPUSCG
September 18, 2011, 09:38 PM
the gun should arrive tomorrow i got some new springs from wolff, the recoil spring had another small spring with it don;t know what its for.

Doyle
September 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
How small a spring? Is it about 2" inches long or about 1/2" long. The 2" spring would be a main spring and controlls the DA trigger pull. If it is the little 1/2" long spring, then I believe that one is for the safety. Everybody I've ever talked to on multiple forums just leaves the tiny spring alone unless it is broken.

SPUSCG
September 19, 2011, 04:15 PM
the spring is in the same bag as recoil spring.

Looks like i can pick up gun in the morning.

NC Cruffler
September 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
The little spring is for the firing pin.