PDA

View Full Version : Your latest rifle epiphany? Greatest?

Steve Smith
November 17, 2000, 02:25 PM
I wanted to echo the thread on Handguns and Pistolcraft. I just had a rifle epiphany last night. I had just bought an M14 bandoleer/clip and mag charger kit for $6 at a gun show, and realized, "Hey, I don't need 10 $31 USGI M14 mags, I just need three, and use clips with the charger! Duh! P.S. Ya think three is enough?

Poodleshooter
November 17, 2000, 03:43 PM
I'd buy more mags just for the investment! I'm a magaholic with my AK and AR. As for epiphanys I had one a while back. While struggling with my iron sight accuracy and the necessity of a consistent cheek weld, I noticed that by putting my nose to the receiver and getting in tighter to my weapons I can greatly enhance my accuracy with peep and iron sights. So simple!

Steve Smith
November 17, 2000, 03:48 PM
I will buy more mags as the money flows (Christmas bonus?), but for now, I will go with 3 I think...especially at $310 for 10 mags.

Chad Young
November 17, 2000, 03:52 PM
My latest epiphany - I need more rifles. PRefereably of the evil "Assault" variety. :)

Martowski
November 17, 2000, 04:42 PM
My latest epiphany: military surplus bolt actions represent some of the greatest values on the market if one knows what to look for.

El Rojo
November 17, 2000, 04:45 PM
I had only three 20 rounders when I first bought my M1A. I also bought three of the bandoleer kits. I just like the idea of having more than 60 rounds available on mags. Now I have 9 and that makes me feel much better plus the 180 rounds in reserve.

DAL
November 18, 2000, 05:31 PM
My rifle epiphany of late: I "need" an M96 Expeditionary rifle. Yeah, I know they're up there, but it's only money (lots of money...$1300 is a lot to drop for a rifle, at least for me).

Martowski, I think you're on to something there. What should I be looking for? I like the Mosin-Nagant, but I have heard the carbine recoils like a politician from the truth.
DAL

jones
November 18, 2000, 06:02 PM
My latest epiphany: Rediscovering my Ruger 10-22. It's so much fun, and I'd almost forgotten about it!

Unkel Gilbey
November 20, 2000, 02:24 PM
My epiphany...?

That would have to be the discovery that I love the feel of my M77 30-06 bucking in my shoulder. And the harder it bucks, the more I like it...! This translates into my buying 220 gn Speer Round noses and loading them to near max. loads for the maximum effect!

I now have started to put together plans and funds to rebarrel my surplus Mauser to 35 Whelen Imp, so that I can start loading 250gner's and revel in the thump that they'll deliver!

Frontsight! Get as many mags as you can afford. Why? (1) You never know when one will fail, and parts will be either hard to obtain or unobtainable. (2) What will you do when they are no longer available...?

To have is better than to want!!!

Unkel Gilbey

Steve Smith
November 20, 2000, 06:18 PM
Unkle, I have decided the same thing about recoil, only my addiction pertains to handguns (heavy recoiling .45 Colts and .454 Casulls are my favorites). I've also had another epiphany about rifles...the .308 is the heaviest rifle cartridge I enjoy shooting. Go ahead and call me a wimp, but come shooting Casulls with me sometime!

EVERYONE: I hate to get "upset" but if you'd READ my post, you'd have understood that with time, I will buy more mags...however, my epiphany was that one does not NEED 10 loaded mags...only 3 or 5 (one will be in the rifle) and plenty of loaded clips and a few chargers will round out the ammo load. I can't see field teams having more than 5 loaded mags, when they can carry loaded clips for a weight savings.