PDA

View Full Version : PC AK

Sulaco2
August 31, 2011, 07:27 PM
If one has one of the PC AK’s, you know the ones with the horrible hole in the stock “non-pistol grip” stock bought during the AWB, can those stocks be up graded to plastic or pistol grip wood etc or are they in the parts compliance trap?

Glockgrabber
August 31, 2011, 07:30 PM
Just change out a few of the internals to achieve 922r compliance( while i know of no individual ever prosecuted for this, its a good idea), and lose the butthole stock.:p

bamaranger
September 2, 2011, 04:05 AM
The 922r compliance laws are a fact and I would not want to run afoul of same. That said, a clunky thumbhole stock can ususally be swapped out along with an appropriate number of "other" parts, to get a legal, proper looking AK. HOw easily the swap happens likely varies AK to AK.

Some receivers are slant cut and welded shut to hamper the very mod you mention. The MISR-90 falls into that group. Some others of the thumbhole family are much easier.

Read (and reread) the 922r rules, get a grip on parts count and have at it.

Stock, handguards, pistol grip, trigger group/hammer are likely sufficient but read up and get it right. ( I think it's 6 US parts) There are other options too, like US mags/assm's and muzzle brakes, gas piston, etc.

RC20
September 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
I have been there (MAK 90) and while you have choices, it boils down to.

You need 5 US made parts.

1. Do you want to keep the AK as OEM as possible?
a. Get a deadwood stock set (very good stuff). That gets you three parts (grip and stock- the wooden forearm only counts as one despite being two pieces).
b. Get a US made AK magazine, amazingly enough that’s 3 parts (yep, the shell, follower and the base, the spring does not count oddly enough)

That gives you 6. If worried about the law carry the receipts! Keep your OEM AK mags as you are only in violation if they are in the gun.

2. Same as above applies but you can add a US made piston rod, trigger group etc. You will need two US made items.
In the case of the MAK 90 that means adding parts that do nothing to improve the gun (the trigger group on the MAK 90 is as good as it gets for an AK other than a Krebs job as its a two hook) and none of the rest is any better as the MAK90 has a chrome bolt and piston.

egor20
September 2, 2011, 06:01 PM
Politically Correct AK

http://randommization.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/WallHook-AK47_2.jpg

I kind of like that nothing is hanging near the trigger so they don't have a faux fire.