PDA

View Full Version : Best compact semiauto for reloading

KBP75
August 30, 2011, 07:11 PM
I am thinking of buyiing a Glock 19(9 mm) for self defense instead of my S&W 41 mag which is a little on the HUGE side for concealed carry. I have heard some concerns about reloading for the Glock 19. Is their a better choice in the compact range with less issues about reloading?

Joe the Redneck
August 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
Many, if not all, gun companies say "Don't use reloads in the gun." The idea is that if you use a poorly reoladed cartridge and blow the gun up, don't blame us.

Which is fair enough.

Glock really makes a fuss about it. That and not using lead bullets (Though countless people do, and you can buy "lead friendly barrels".)

As the only trouble I have ever had with my Glock 17 was because of a reload, I don't do it.

If you are using jacket reolads, it isn't always cost effective to reload 9mm rounds anyway. But that is a personal call.

Chamber designs are also an issue. Some designs don't fully support the shell when it is fired. Too much to get into, but that can make the brass weaker.

Millions use reloads without harm every years.

carguychris
August 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
If you are using jacket reolads, it isn't always cost effective to reload 9mm rounds anyway.
This is half of the reason why the Glock 17/19 are not favored by handloaders. The other half is that Glock officially recommends against using lead bullets in their pistols due to the polygonal rifling.

If you effectively have no choice but to use copper-jacketed bullets, the cost savings from handloading shrink to the point that many 9mm shooters don't think it's worthwhile. Since primers cost close to $0.03/ea and 0.355" FMJ bullets cost about $0.10/ea, you're looking at $0.13/rd for handloads, but you can buy factory ammo for ~$0.20/rd. For 1,000 rounds, you've only saved $70... not worth the time and effort IMHO unless you have a really fast progressive press, and if you do, it's going to take a lot of 1,000rd batches to amortize the cost. :rolleyes:
Is their a better choice in the compact range with less issues about reloading?
Most competing 9mm pistols use conventional rifling except for some HK, CZ, and Kahr models.

KBP75
August 30, 2011, 10:34 PM
Looks like I have two choices: no reloading for a 9 mm semiauto or reload and continue to carry my trusty S&W model 57.

NVBigEd
August 30, 2011, 11:41 PM
I have a Glock G17 and I have shot thousands of reloads through it. I use plated for practice and store bought for self defense. I pay @ $6 per 50 in 9mm and I would never discourage anyone from buying a G19, great carry gun!