PDA

View Full Version : sexy 1911 - kimber grand raptor 2

loose_holster_dan
August 29, 2011, 07:35 AM
Found one seriously sexy 1911 by Kimber. Take a look at the Grand Raptor 2. That 2-tone look and scale texturing is gorgeous! There are a couple of auctions ending today for lightly used ones on gunbroker for under $1k. I think I might seriously considering picking one of these up at a steal like that!

loose_holster_dan
August 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
http://gunmania.net/kweb/bbs/table/gunmanual/upload/KimberGrandRaptor.gif

Dino.
August 29, 2011, 11:52 AM
I prefer a more tradional looking 1911, but I have to admit that's one gorgeous gun. :eek:

loose_holster_dan
August 29, 2011, 01:35 PM
no kidding

RickB
August 29, 2011, 01:44 PM
I handled one a while ago, and it frankly seemed like a toy; maybe a high-end airsoft gun? Something about the non-traditional machining on the frame and slide, which is the whole point behind the "raptor" theme, just didn't look very appealing. I'd rather have conventional checkering or serrations.

BigJimP
August 29, 2011, 02:58 PM
I'm not a big Kimber fan ( although I have 2 - a gold combat stainless II and a Tactical Pro II model ) ....but I like the look of the Grand Raptor II.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/raptor-ii/grand-raptor-ii

I see its listing new for $ 1,587 ....and I've seen one locally recently that was retailing new for around $ 1,300 ....so sure, around $ 1,000 is a pretty good deal if its well cared for.

Coltman 77
August 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
It looks very good but the real question (with all respect to the OP) is will it run reliably?

dajowi
August 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'm not much of a fan of non-traditional checkering and such. But I have a Kimber Ultra Eclipse and really love the gun.

loose_holster_dan
August 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
reliably enough for the range! that sexy little hunk of steel is a brag piece! i'd never carry it for self defense. it's huge!

BigJimP
August 29, 2011, 04:06 PM
Carrying a full sized 1911 ....in a good leather holster ...like from Kramer Leather is no big deal ...

Here's my primary carry gun .....Wilson, CQB, 5", in .45 acp ...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65852&d=1294095423

Its a little heavier than a poly framed gun ...but its single stack / so its relatively slim...

mythree
August 29, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm not a fan of Kimbers, their prices are staggering for a marginally performing 1911. "All show / No go / Big dough"...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loose_holster_dan
August 29, 2011, 04:17 PM
can't say i don't agree with you on the staggering price tag, but you are paying for the show when you buy a 1911. sure they look great, but who is honestly going to buy a 1911 for any other reason? unless you get a $2k plus model for very specific competition shooting, there is absolutely no other reason. they only hold 8 rnds, are way to big to carry, and are a pain in the butt to clean.

a 1911 is bought to show off. this one is the best at that function.

Timbow
August 29, 2011, 05:04 PM
can't say i don't agree with you on the staggering price tag, but you are paying for the show when you buy a 1911. sure they look great, but who is honestly going to buy a 1911 for any other reason? unless you get a $2k plus model for very specific competition shooting, there is absolutely no other reason. they only hold 8 rnds, are way to big to carry, and are a pain in the butt to clean.

a 1911 is bought to show off. this one is the best at that function.

Wow, if that's what you really think, you have miles to travel in the gun world my friend!

BigJimP
August 29, 2011, 07:05 PM
+1 on Timbow's perspective ....

-------------------------

Personally, I carry what I shoot the best ...and most of the time its a 5" 1911...and sure they look good / but its not about looking good - or being ugly ...its about carrying what you want to carry ..and shooting what you want to shoot. None of the Kimbers made are high end 1911's ( not even their best custom shop guns) ...neither are they terrible guns ...

I still think the Raptor II is a very good buy around $ 1,000 - maybe $ 1,250 if its new ...and while it may need a trigger job / or some tuning ...no reason it won't last you a very long time !

Jason_G
August 29, 2011, 07:06 PM
Wow, if that's what you really think, you have miles to travel in the gun world my friend!

Mucho miles.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot make myself like that Raptor. I have a lot of friends that really love the way they look, but to me they are just gawdy and gimicky looking. JMHO, YMMV, etc. I hope my opinion doesn't offend anyone, I just don't like the way they look at all. I like a 1911 to look "clean". I really like Chuck Rogers' work for example. I can even live with the snakeskin "checkering" when done in modest amounts, like the Ed Brown Kobra, but to me the Raptors are just too much. I have seen some without the Kimber stocks though, and they look a whole lot better to me.

Jason

HKFan9
August 29, 2011, 07:11 PM
I ordered one in for a customer a few months back. I liked it, but I wouldn't buy one... if that makes sense....

Beautiful gun.. just not to my tastes I suppose.

My SA Champion Operator with VZ Carbon Fiber 320's on it I call Black Beauty.:D

mythree
August 29, 2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah Black Beauty - you have Black Beauty and I have Fury...!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don Glock
August 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
not a fan of the Mr. Peanut texture.

Fishbed77
August 29, 2011, 10:23 PM
IMHO, the fishscales didn't look good on the S&W E-series pistols, and they don't look good here either.

loose_holster_dan
August 30, 2011, 07:15 AM
i would just never sacrifice the round capacity in an sd situation. 8 rounds isn't enough in a gun that size. sorry.

tjhands
August 30, 2011, 08:30 AM
8 rounds isn't enough in a gun that size. sorry.

Let the backpedalling....BEGIN!

What you said above is valid as your personal opinion, but that's a universe away from what you stated originally, which was that, aside from competition and looks, there is no reason anyone would buy a 1911.

Obviously a ridiculously false blanket statement, and the reason for folks correcting you.

loose_holster_dan
August 30, 2011, 08:36 AM
:D

Please correct me further. What other reasons are there besides looks and competitions if you are ruling out self defense? The price sure doesn't warrant range use. You can get much cheaper, equally as accurate 45s for the range.

Please enlighten me!

tjhands
August 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
Ruling out self-defense? YOU'RE the only one here who ruled them out for self-defense. Countless thousands choose to employ a 1911 for defensive purposes on a daily basis. That is my entire point.

I now consider you corrected and enlightened.

Timbow
August 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
There are thousands if not millions of American soldiers who defended themselves and our country with a 1911 and have done a very fine job in my opinion! To say it is not adequate for self defense is one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever read.