PDA

View Full Version : Just got a S&W 422 pistol

ak-473690
August 18, 2011, 08:53 PM
Cant wait to take it to the range. Anyone have one the want to talk about?

rjrivero
August 18, 2011, 09:13 PM
Did you get a snubbie version? I have a 2206 TGT that I really like. I would love to have a 422 snubbie for general plinking. I think it would be a GREAT suppressor host. :p Short enough to keep bulk ammo subsonic. Fun plinking!

WWWJD
August 18, 2011, 09:20 PM
I just joined Club 422 myself; haven't taken it to the range yet. Saturday me and some cans are gonna tangle! Took it apart last night for a thorough cleaning. See the pic here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460144

I bought mine for $200. I love the trigger. During the tear down, I almost drew blood on the edge of the seer; probably the sharpest I've ever touched. My only beef with it at the moment is that the frame is aluminum; it can't take a hit without leaving a mark, especially on the corners. Mine's kind of beat up, but I didn't buy it for it's looks. Something else that has me a bit concerned is where the rear sight was set when I got it; pushed waaaay to the right. I'm wondering if the barrel/slide alignment is just that bad, or if the guy I bought it from has the worst case of recoil anticipation ever and was trying to compensate. We'll find out Saturday. Other than that, I'm in the same boat. Can't wait to shoot it!

ak-473690
August 18, 2011, 09:44 PM
I dont know what you mean by snubbie rjrivero. mine has a 4" barrel i think

rjrivero
August 18, 2011, 09:47 PM
They made a few of them with short 2 1/2 or 3" barrels. It's been on my short list for a long time.

They are fun guns and quite accurate and reliable. You'll enjoy it!

PSP
August 19, 2011, 07:35 AM
Though it's never been a big favorite, my 622 is at least pretty accurate and reliable. I've never liked the mag release but the trigger is good and the sights easy to use. A fun plinker, I wish I had more than the one mag, but I'm not sure mags are available.

psyfly
August 19, 2011, 09:02 AM
I really like my 422 for plinking and small varmints. It will even load/shoot powderless and .22 shorts (of course, you'll have to hand cycle it).

As to the mags, the 422 mags are identical to the mags for the S&W model 41 and should be readily available.

I'm not sure, but I think the 622 is the same.

Best,

Will

WWWJD
August 20, 2011, 11:45 AM
Well, I took the 422 back on the farm this morning. HOLY CRAP HOW FUN ARE THESE THINGS?!!! I don't remember the old Browning of years past being this easy; it's just about recoil-less. I need about 5 more mags... stat.

I was worried about the sight alignment when I bought it; they were pushed way to the right. I thought maybe there was a problem with the pistol. I centered them back up during my teardown the other day. And... it shoots centered. I guess my friend just wasn't holding his mouth right, cause this little pistol is spot on. I put 30+ rounds in a 2" circle at 10 yards. The rest of the ammo I had... well... rocks, cans, twigs.. and anything else within range. Best $200... EVER.

ak-473690
August 20, 2011, 07:27 PM
Thats awesome WWJD. I am going to shoot mine soon. I cant wait

PSP
August 20, 2011, 07:46 PM
As to the mags, the 422 mags are identical to the mags for the S&W model 41 and should be readily available.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the 622 is the same as the 422 except it has a 6" barrel.

1911A1Bob
August 20, 2011, 09:53 PM
My buddy Chris is still in mourning for a 422 he let go over a decade ago. It was a fun gun to shoot and pretty much identical to yours. Another friend of mine had the short 2" or 2 1/2" barrel version, and I was always surprised at how well that little gun shot out to 25 yards. I liked them a lot better than the guns S&W replaced them with.

Morgo
August 22, 2011, 06:13 AM
Congrats!
I have a 2206 myself and its a great shooter.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/brycemorgan452/P1020834.jpg