PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 pistol?,,,

aarondhgraham
August 16, 2011, 09:12 AM
I've been reading a bit about the S&W M&P 22 pistol,,,
And you all know how much I like matching centerfire/rimfire pistols.

I'm not a fan of striker fired handguns,,,
So I'll probably never look to buy one of these,,,
I'm simply curious as to the quality of build and performance.

It's built by Carl Walther, GmbH for Smith & Wesson,,,
I'm not familiar with the quality (or lack of) from this company.

Any one out there own one,,,
Or have shot one?

Aarond

vtspecv
September 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
Bump...I've been looking at this lately as well. Does anyone have one that they can comment on?

David the Gnome
September 11, 2011, 01:44 PM
I don't think they are available yet.

disco_stu
September 13, 2011, 09:58 PM
I saw one at a gun show this past weekend. I didn't spend too much time with it, but it seemed to be the same as the other calibers of the m&p

Fishbed77
September 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
It's built by Carl Walther, GmbH for Smith & Wesson,,,
I'm not familiar with the quality (or lack of) from this company.

I doubt it's actually made by the "real" Walther at their plant in Ulm, Germany (where very high-quality guns like the P99, PPQ, and PPS are made).

It's more likely manufactured by Umarex, Walther's parent company, whose primary business is manufacturing airsoft guns and lower quality guns like the P22 and PK380, which are then marketed under the Walther name.

ovemarkstrom
September 15, 2011, 11:29 PM
I also checked this one out last weekend at a gun show in Phoenix. I own a Steyr M9-A1 and I'm looking for a 22 to practice with, but that will feel like a full size pistol. This one felt really good in my hand, compared to the Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito which feel very small and light. The M&P22 weighs roughly 24oz and feels more like full size 9mm. There are several reviews on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avugtzEZa78.
I'm still researching but I'm likely to pick this one up. Gunsamerica.com seems to have it available: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/929862354.htm

Bran Diezel
September 19, 2011, 08:02 PM
I picked one up today. I'll keep you informed once I get to shoot it. As far as build quality goes and feel, it's really nice.

BudMan5
September 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
I have fired mine. Frustrating when it only comes with one magazine.

I also have an M&P 9 which is my EDC (hence the desire to get the M&P 22)

It appears to be (except for weight) identical to my M&P 9 using the mediuym sized grip.

I ripped off 10 rounds in the first mag, mixed CCI, Federal bulk and some Remington Golden nothigs (really crap rimfire ammo)

No failures and freaking unbelievable 25 meter accuracy. I couldn't believe it so I loaded up and did it again, and again, and again and kept doing it until my thumb screamed because I was wearing the skin away reloading the poor little lonely magazine.

This is a WINNER! No FTF, FTEs, nada. Mostly CCI and Federal bulk (I really hate Remington rimfire)

I paid full boat just because I wanted to be the first in my neighborhood and was all prepared to feel ripped oiff but no way, this is a really great gun.

I rushed out to buy another one for my son but they are all gone.

S&W says the next 6,000 should be here in the next couple of weeks. But, that's probably like their promise that more mags will be available almost immediately.

aarondhgraham
September 20, 2011, 08:07 AM
Now I'll add it to the list of rimfire/centerfire pairs.

Thanks again for the good review.

Aarond

Bran Diezel
October 2, 2011, 01:28 PM
Yes this is one of the best tactical bb guns out there! lol

Mine was ridiculously accurate, I only had 1 ftf because of the elcheapo remington gold bullets but i'm not blaming the gun.

the full size feels great in your hands, ZERO recoil!

1 magazine :(