PDA

View Full Version : I have a new habit

JiminTexas
August 14, 2011, 06:44 PM
I have just finished rebuilding my second shotgun. This one is a Winchester model 97 of 1939 vintage and it came out really well. Look for your self here: http://imageshack.us/g/691/dscf4079a.jpg/
I did a full job on the Winchester. I refinished/replaced the stock, reblued the whole thing, expanded the shell capacity to six+1, took it down to the last screw and pin and cleaned everything, re-lubed it and it works as smooth as butter now.
My first project was a Stevens 311. I only had to do a touch up on the blueing and the stock finish was good, so I didn't touch that. I did re-gring the cocking plunger to allow it to open far enough to cleanly get shells in and out of it on a re-load. i changed out just about all of the springs with Wolf reduced tension springs and now it doesn't try to close back up part way after opening it. I also took come little bit of creep out of the trigger.
I had so much fun with these two that I'm looking around for another shotgun that I can rebuild. Something that I can pick up inexpensively and preferably another takedown model Win. 1897, but another Stevens would be O.K. too.