PDA

View Full Version : Carcano Type I

lasvegastransplant
August 13, 2011, 02:11 PM
I picked one up yesterday thinking it was a Mauser. :eek: I still like it though.

What would you say it is worth? Missing Bayo, cleaning rod, butt plate and has a fine crack starting to develop on the stock also that is hardly noticeable.

There are not very many markings on it either. I found a SM or SW on the safety(second pic). There are diamonds with circles stamped where the butt plate(missing) should be. She serial # starts with a "G".

About how much would I be looking to spend if I decided to get the bayo, cleaning rod and butt plate? Thanks

RJay
August 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
Parts to restore it will be very hard to come by.

tater134
August 13, 2011, 03:28 PM
About how much would I be looking to spend if I decided to get the bayo, cleaning rod and butt plate? Thanks

I think a M1891 Carcano buttplate will fit on the type I. They're around $12-15

I'm pretty sure the Type I cleaning rod is unique to that model so it may be impossible to find one.

The Type I accepts a standard Japanese Type 30 bayonet which are easy to find and are usually between $50-80.

trapchair
April 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
The 'crack' in the stock is how they made them. I'ts a 2 piece stock. If you look close at the end of the butt, you should see a dovetail. I have one that I'm restoring and have had pretty good luck getting parts from Numrich.com in NY. Most receiver parts have to be ordered for an 1891 Carcano, but some of the barrel parts, ie sights etc, have to be ordered for an Arisaka 38