PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CW40

ejfalvo
August 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
Just wanted to provide a summary of my range report on the above auto.

After much research I purchased a CW40 from the local gun shop. When I went to pick it up the owner said "I don't know why these cost so much, the slide is rough and gritty. If SA could only make this single stack....blah,blah". Wasn't too comforting considering I just dropped $ on the gun.

I should mention that I didn't strip and clean, polish, oil...the gun, just took it out of the box and headed for the range.

Anyway, over the next 3 range sessions I put ~300 rounds thru the CW40 with only 1 FTF, which occured within the first 20ishs rounds I shot. I've mixed up the brand and type of ammo fired and other than that first FTE the gun has performed flawlessly. I have yet to take it apart and clean it.

Initially the shots were a little to the right. I blamed that on the fact that I am LH and I had only shot double stacked auto before. After shifting my grip, the shots hit the 9-10 ring consistently.

No issues with recoil nor follow-up shot.

I now CCW the CW40 on a daily basis.

vyse.04
August 11, 2011, 05:59 PM
When I went to pick it up the owner said "I don't know why these cost so much, the slide is rough and gritty. If SA could only make this single stack....blah,blah".

I have also noticed this from many gun shop employees. When I bought my Kahr, the employee couldn't get the slide to drop with a magazine inserted. I ejected the magazine and all was well. I think many of the Kahr purchases are from people who do a little bit of research before walking in to their LGS, unlike a lot of the first time buyers that are generally steered towards something else. Of course now that Kahr has brought out some value priced firearms (CW/CM series), this may all change.

Not saying everyone will love a Kahr and shouldn't bother with anything else, but it is not your typical design. The LGSs should try and educate themselves to give quality information to their customers as well as increase sales. I am also not saying that every LGS employee is stupid (and do not want this to appear that way), but from what I have seen many people look at the Kahrs as single stack Glocks.

I'm glad you are enjoying your CW40 though.

Stressfire
August 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
Its kinda like bein' on here, everybody has their favorite brands and can't understand why anyone would want anything else.

My last purchase was from an LGS about an hour and a half away, but I would go back for my next one.

I wanted a Bersa before I even walked in. I asked to see the one I wanted, salesman showed it to me. I said "I'll take it" after checking it.

Now, he did try to up-sell me to the Colt New Agent, which I would have liked if I had had another $150. And that's cool, its his job. What he didn't do was insult my decision or my purchase.

Professional.

I looked at a used Kahr .40 awhile back, not sure of the model, was an older one though. Definitely well built, I just didn't like the looks:)
Glad you're enjoying yours though

Ironworker
August 11, 2011, 06:59 PM
My CW40 was bad from the very 1st shot,fired 200 rnds through it. Sent it back to factory. Came back today with a note saying they polished slide stop and lubed it. Gun still jammed ,( Not as bad as before) But I don't have the patience to send it back again. So cut my losses and traded it for a Walther PPS. But hey good for you hope neither of us ever have to pull our guns in defense .

KyJim
August 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
Congratulations on the Kahr! I've had good luck with my CM9. Some people won't bother to go through a break-in period with them, but they're missing out, IMO.

Also, let's don't give the gun store employees too much grief. They sell a lot of different brands and models of handguns, rifles, shotguns, and accessories. Hard to be an expert on all of them. :)

KyJim
August 11, 2011, 07:15 PM
Gun still jammedBad luck. :( How many rounds did you shoot through it today and how many "jammed"?

Ironworker
August 11, 2011, 07:56 PM
To full clips so 12 rounds. 6 rnds jammed,maybe if I put another 100 through it would of settled down( Already had 200 rnds through it before I sent it back).I didn't like the gun. Now I'm going to try out my Walther PPS. Just cleaned and lubed it as the manual directed. (Break free CLP )

imthegrumpyone
August 15, 2011, 03:12 AM
All I carry are 40s, have 2 Kel-Tecs and a Kahr CW40, which has worked perfectly sense day one. ;)