PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new Glock 17L

C0untZer0
August 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
It was just made a little while ago, it has a test fire date of July 6th.

I haven't gone to the range with it yet, but I am having trouble consistently creating good follow-through with my dry-firing exercises. Actually I'm doing horrible. As soon as the trigger breaks the sight swerves to the right. It's a repeat of what I went through when I first got my G34 but this seems harder to correct.

Maybe part of the problem is it has a really horrible trigger. I eventually will put a trigger kit in it, probably a Vanek.

The Vanek product line is a little confusing to me; he offers a lot of stuff. I will probably get the Ultra Mega Super Ultimate trigger - whichever one is just the flat out best for bull’s eye shooting and not worrying about competition requirements and disqualifying modifications.

I don't like the sights at all and I'm going to end up replacing those.

The FFL dealer made me fill out this thing called the “Glock Owner’s Safety Sheet” – I think that’s what it’s called. It was the four basic rules of safe firearms handling, plus a blurb about Glocks being really safe and not requiring or having an external safety. And a paragraph basically saying that all of the great Glock safeties are in the trigger and when you pull the trigger on a cocked and loaded Glock a destructive high velocity projectile will come flying out of the barrel. I had to initial the boxes next to each paragraph showing that I read each point.

He also said he was supposed to give me a copy of the BATF Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice (ATF pamphlet 5300.2) On the back of the pamphlet it gave me a number to call if I had any questions, and I did have some questions so I dialed the number but I got a recording that said “All of our agents are currently busy”.

Here are the pictures. Surprisingly, it looks like most other G17Ls that you would see on Google:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72708&stc=1&d=1313084418
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72709&stc=1&d=1313084421
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72710&stc=1&d=1313084421

BATF Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/i/atf-i-5300-2.pdf)

SteelChickenShooter
August 11, 2011, 10:15 PM
My 17L was a nice shooter but it did not start that way. A guy at the range showed me how I was not wrapping my habd around the grip correctly. And he demonstrated how I had too much finger wrapped on the trigger. I also replaced the sights with the Sevigney Target products opting for the red fiber optic. My hits and scores were much better after that. I used those tips for my Glock 34, but in that case, I opted for the Warren Tactical style sights with the green fiber optic. I keep records of match scores and keep records of target performance comparisons at the range.
In both cases shooting the 17L and the 34, groups and scores improved quite a bit.

Sgt Pepper
August 11, 2011, 11:34 PM
Wow, I have never seen a 17L that looked like that before. Is that some rare special custom-shop limited edition??? :p

jersey_emt
August 12, 2011, 01:22 AM
Just got a new Glock 17L
It was just made a little while ago, it has a test fire date of July 6th.

I thought production of the 17L had ceased?

NVBigEd
August 12, 2011, 01:23 AM
Congrats on you new shooter.... I just picked up a new G17L a couple of days ago as well. The LGS I bought mine from had 2 G17Ls and one G24 in the case from this run. In the time it took me to fill out the forms, both the other long Glocks were purchased.

One question for you, if you don't mind. Does your recoil spring scratch a thin line in the barrel? Mine sure does, and although I'm told its "normal", it seems " wrong" to me. It's not a "problem", more of a curiosity.

smince
August 12, 2011, 04:11 AM
I thought production of the 17L had ceased? As I understand it, they do special production runs every couple of years.
Maybe part of the problem is it has a really horrible trigger. Mine had the Glock '-' connector in it and had a really lighter smoother trigger than either of my 19's. My 26 is almost as smooth, though.

C0untZer0
August 12, 2011, 07:20 AM
I was convinced that we wouldn't see any more Gen 3 17L pistols. Glock only ever did limited production runs of them and I was thinking that they were so busy with the Gen 4 rollout that they wouldn't divert any time or effort on making 17Ls. But I was wrong, they made a production run of these at the end of June. From what I understand, 500 17Ls came to the U.S. From what I can tell, they got snatched up pretty quickly. There are a few over-priced specimens sitting in some shops around the country but most of them were bought up by the end of July.

chadstrickland
August 12, 2011, 07:23 AM
Hey countzero

Will a barrel for a 17l fit into a regular 17

And nice pistol :)

C0untZer0
August 12, 2011, 07:31 AM
I just looked at the bottom of the barrel and the recoil spring is leaving a mark in the fiinsh there.

I have only been dry firing. I only move the slide back the minimal distance to reset the trigger so the mark is a short one for now, but yes the spring is wearing the finish on the bottom of the barrel.

I have this on my G34 a little but it seems more pronounced on the 17L.

C0untZer0
August 12, 2011, 07:46 AM
Yes a 17L barrel will fit in a G17.

The 17L slide will fit on the G17 frame.

Also the 17L barrel will fit in a G34, and a G34 barrel will fit in a G17, and the G34 slide will fit on a G17 frame.

These photos aren't the greatest, I'm not totally awake yet but here is an example of my G34 with the 17L barrel:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72723&stc=1&d=1313153325
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72722&stc=1&d=1313153327

NVBigEd
August 12, 2011, 05:09 PM
I just looked at the bottom of the barrel and the recoil spring is leaving a mark in the fiinsh there.

I have only been dry firing. I only move the slide back the minimal distance to reset the trigger so the mark is a short one for now, but yes the spring is wearing the finish on the bottom of the barrel.

I have this on my G34 a little but it seems more pronounced on the 17L

Thanks for checking for me. I called Glock customer service and the confirmed it was "normal"....