PDA

View Full Version : best .22 rifle?

fishblade2
August 8, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have heard of ruger 10/22 rifle being the best but are there any better? What would you recommend upgrading on a 10/22 to make it better? Also would anyone recommend making a 10/22 into a match grade gun?

tAKticool
August 8, 2011, 06:03 PM
What is the meaning of life? LOL.

I admit I'm anti 10.22 - its definitely N OT the best, it's probably definitely the most ubiquitous and it's a cult of personality.

tell us a little bit more about your wants needs and desires and how you invision it.

l98ster
August 8, 2011, 06:19 PM
It all depends on what you mean by best?? If you are talking accuracy, it certainly isn't the best. My cz 452 will shoot circles around the 10/22. However, the after market for the ruger is unmatched. With enough money, you will really enjoy that 10/22.

I have a friend that owns 17 10/22's. He has them from stock to ultimate bench rifles. His best bench rifles will shoot as well if jot a little better than my stock cz 452.

To get 1/2 inch accuracy at 50 yards with a 10/22 you will be in the $600 all said and done. Once you are there, you will love it. If you are looking for a plinker, a stock 10/22 with a decent trigger job is all you will need.

Although there are definitely more accurate guns out there, I am definitely looking forward to my next 10/22 build.

-George

SurplusShooter
August 8, 2011, 06:22 PM
I would look at some Anschutz if you want match grade .22's.

fishblade2
August 8, 2011, 06:36 PM
First of all sorry for posting an opinion like that. I should of actually said it different. I did mean though that the ruger seemed to be the best for accuracy from what I heard if upgraded right. I was actually going to edit this post some but here is a better idea now that I have actually researched some these past hours: I pretty much want a match gun .22. I want the best .22 rifle I can get for accuracy. I'm looking into a savage or a ruger with upgrades. I am wanting it not just for accuracy at close but far distances as well. Questions I have for the savage are as following: I don't really know the difference in all of their mark II match guns. Can anyone first help me with this? http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/. What aftermarket pieces should I put on the gun to make it better whether it's a different stock, barrel, etc (if needed). I want to put a nice scope on it. I have looked at leupold some, and I'm going to look at some of Meuller. I'm not sure about this topic though because everyone has an idea on it. I want the best I could get for a pretty good price. I know that I would want one with good parallax but I don't know what brands have this on their guns. Lastly I really need to know what scope mounts would be the best around to put on it since I will be putting a nice scope on the gun. Now if savage isn't what I should go with since the Ruger 10/22 has the most upgradable market then some help answering what should go onto it to help shoot with the most accuracy. Thanks!

Hawg
August 8, 2011, 07:27 PM
A 10/22 is a good plinker but almost anything is more accurate out of the box. The 10/22 has more upgrades than anything else. Unfortunately it needs them to be accurate. So why spend 600 bucks to have a gun that shoots as well as one that costs under 200 to begin with?

GONIF
August 8, 2011, 08:21 PM
For a bargin 22 semi that beats the 1022 get a marlin 60 .for a better 22 semi Remington speedmaster . for a 22 bolt gun CZ 452, for the best bolt gun Anschutz $$$$$ . for a lever 22 Marlin 39a $$$$$$. bigest bang for the buck is still a Marlin60 .

JACK308
August 8, 2011, 08:21 PM
out of the box ready...................SAVAGE!

tAKticool
August 8, 2011, 08:42 PM
I got me 3 rimfire .22LR's right now (always could use more LOL!) ... three different distinct guns 3 distinct different purposes.

Remington 597 .22LR semi-auto scoped 'sporter'
Savage Mark II .22LR bolt-action scoped 'sporter'
S&W M&P 15-22 .22LR autoloading tactical AR style

therefore with this setup it's gravy baby, i got it all smothered.

Shoes
August 8, 2011, 09:03 PM
I've neard it said that Ruger's 10-22 has so many aftermarket patrs because , "IT NEEDS THEM". Not so accurate out of the box.

Marlin 795 will do a much better job at a much better price.

My opinion is surely not shared by many.... Ken

Buzzcook
August 8, 2011, 10:56 PM
It all depends on what you plan to do with the rifle.

The 10/22 is fine and dandy as plinker or just for fun. The mods can make it more accurate. But imho most of the mods are more just for fun and looks.

Bamashooter
August 9, 2011, 12:02 AM
With good ammo a 10/22 shoots just fine. If you want to spend some more money in upgrades you will have the most accurate rifle on the block. The thing about the 10/22 is people treat it just like the AR, The base model is good, spend ever how much you want when you want and one day your shooting a sure nuff accurate rifle. Same with the AR, it takes money and other parts to get one that will really shoot. Some folks just flat out dont like them, just like the AR. Some 10/22's and some AR's will shoot fine bone stock, but when you start spending money you start shrinking groups.

montelores
August 9, 2011, 12:03 AM
Have you considered a CZ?

Monty

skoro
August 9, 2011, 08:09 AM
Related question: "what's the best tire?" :)

Blackshirts
August 9, 2011, 09:55 AM
My cz 452 will shoot circles around the 10/22.

Although you don't want it to shoot in circles, unless that circle is a 5 shot group through the same hole.

Marlin 795 will do a much better job at a much better price.

My opinion is surely not shared by many

It's shared by me. I will take my Marlin 795 over a base 10/22 any day. And for half the price of the 10/22 at that. The Marlin 60 is the same action, but I prefer magazine fed over tube fed.

BrittB
August 9, 2011, 11:55 AM
Best 22 rifle is an open question. Ask 20 people, get 20 different answers. I like my Remington 581s as it fit's me. See, different than everybody else. You need to find a way to shoot the one your considering and go from there.

rr2241tx
August 9, 2011, 01:24 PM
fishblade2 clarified:I pretty much want a match gun .22. I want the best .22 rifle I can get for accuracy.

If your pocket is deep enough Bleiker is generally regarded as the most accurate match .22LR. Somewhat less breathtaking is the Walther KK or UIT and Anschutz 54. If you want a top shelf repeater, look up Tony Kidd at Kidd Inovative Designs and let him wring out your wallet for you.

Te Anau
August 9, 2011, 02:33 PM
As a line,nothing beats Savage overall.Ruger 10/22's are super popular but I've never been able to figure out why.

Freightman
August 9, 2011, 05:25 PM
Marlin 60 is the cheapest shooting I have ever had it will shoot any ammo at a reasonable accuracy I use the bulk pack Federal from Wal Mart never had a misfire in thousands of rounds, also have a Winchester 190 (bad trigger) but it will shoot just as accurate and as reliable if you watch the barrel tends to get loose after 5000 or so rounds. I have a Winchester M55 single shot automatic that will put the shots in the same hole but kinda rare. For a bolt the CZ will not cost you a arm and leg and is very good and accurate more so than I can shoot. But it is according to your use if you are going to be competitive in the 22 matches I have been to around have very deep pockets and use a rifle that weighs about what a VW car does. and never have more than a one hole group in the dead center of the X.

Rimfire5
August 9, 2011, 07:08 PM
Dispite my site name, I now have 7 22 rimfires. All have about the same scopes and all were tested from a bench with a bipod and rear bag. The BC Match and BC Combo have Volquartsen trigger groups and are named for their type of Butler Creek Barrels. All others are factory stock.
In order of accuracy based their 5 favorite ammos and hundreds of measured groups each, they are:
Rifle -------Avg 5 favorites-------Avg 2 Favorites----Best brand
Cooper 57M--------.339----------- .316-----------Eley EPS Match
Kidd 10-22---------.367------------.327-----------Lapua Center-X
Sako Quad---------.380------------.392-----------Lapua Midas
BC Match 10-22----.428------------.399-----------Eley EPS Match
BC Combo 10-22----.455-----------.424----------Lapua Center-X
Kimber SVT---------.484-----------.458----------Wolf Match Extra
1994 10-22 Int'l------ (Unmeasured - measurements to start next week)

We also measured two other 10-22s using different shooters and are just beginning on a CZ 455. They also have the same range of scopes.
Kidd 10-22---------.411-------------.369----------Lapua Center-X
Ruger Target-------.478-------------.461----------Wolf Match Target
CZ 455-------------.527-------------.451----------Wolf Match Extra

Based upon the data, my Kidd gives most of the bolt actions a run for the money with the exception of my Cooper. The Cooper is in a class by itself.
The CZ hasn't had enough rounds through it yet to have found its real favorites and it also needs a trigger job. The factory trigger is not very good.
I'm sure there are CZs out there that shoot better.

B. Lahey
August 9, 2011, 07:27 PM
ANSCHÜTZ

.300 Weatherby Mag
August 9, 2011, 07:47 PM
Find a brand new gun that will beat this Zastava Z5 in the under $250 category... Five shots of Federal #510 at 50 yards... Lets see your factory stock 10/22 carbine do this...:D

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/1228091510.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/Z5-1.jpg

For Cool Factor and great accuracy:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/001.jpg

Unless you have a Win. 52, 40X, Cooper or Annie I will beat you badly with this.... My buddy with an Annie is mad at me right now :D...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/Husky507/0612091537.jpg

SRH78
August 9, 2011, 07:52 PM
The great thing about the 10/22 is that the possible ways to customize it are nearly endless. You can put enough money in one to make it shoot well, but there are plenty of better choices if accuracy is what you are after. My CZ 452 shoots sub moa at 100 yards with several types of ammo and doesn't need expensive "match" ammo to do it. Other than putting a shim and lighter spring on the trigger, it is stock. There are other bolt actions that are good choices as well. Some cost less. Some cost more. Some cost a lot more. Generally speaking, a quality bolt action is going to outshoot a 10/22. Sure, you can change out the barrel, trigger, and whatever else and make the 10/22 shoot a lot better but you can also do those things to other rifles as well. The first step is to figure out what you want and what you are willing to spend. If you want a semiauto that can be heavily customized, the 10/22 is the way to go. If you want a tackdriver and are willing to pay for it, you have better options, imo.

smith357
August 9, 2011, 09:12 PM
In recent Olympic Style shooting events Anschutz has the most Gold medals, in the .22 bench rest games they are all custom built using actions like a Rem 40X, Annie 54, or Win 52, to name a few. At Camp Perry this year in the 2011 National Rimfire Sporter Championship CZ 452s pretty much outnumber all other brands combined by a 2 to 1 margin. Though for the last 3 years running the winner of the T-Class has been a Kimber Hunter, it makes me proud to own one.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/smith357/armory/Kimber/IMG_4195.jpg
100 yard groups with cheap Federal 714
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/smith357/armory/Kimber/IMG_4341.jpg

Danny Creasy
August 9, 2011, 10:06 PM
I have a very accurate Kimber Hunter as well but for the life of me, I don't see how young Lucas Boord gets his to feed that reliably to keep winning at Perry. Mine shaves cases or sends them nose up into the barrel metal above the chamber, or the finicky magazine falls out while feeding because it didn't latch up satisfactorily. I love the rifle but it is a single shot sporter class bench rest rifle for me with a T-36 on top. Have tried four different Kimber factory mags and only the one that came with it is half way decent. If I had one reliably functioning mag, I would shoot my Kimber each year at Perry as well.

I have shot a CZ American with the factory trigger set to just over 3 lbs (required minimum via the rules) at Perry for the past four years. But, I have another lighter triggered American that has some new glass. I mounted a new Weaver Grand Slam 6-20X40 on the Brooks Kit triggered (13 oz release) CZ 452 American Saturday night in a set of high B Square air rifle rings and headed to the range Sunday afternoon:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/DSC04501.jpg

I purchased a case (5000 rounds) of Aguila Std Velocity from the CMP Store North at Camp Perry a couple of weeks ago. I decided to zero the rifle at 25 yards in anticipation of next weekend's Rapidfire Rimfire Match (a timed speed shoot with handicapping for action types i.e. semi-auto, bolt, lever, pump).

The new scope is great. Head movement tests revealed the AO settings to be spot on. The duplex reticle has a fine crosshaired center with a 1/8th moa target dot. The clarity was fantastic. The scope tracked like a sidewinder missile. I shot several groups with a power change in between and observed no shift in POI - even a 20 to 6 change.

The Aguila Std Vel did well. With the scope dialed to 20 power, the final group of the day was this five shot one fired at a tiny emblem in the corner of the target paper. I also had fun shooting at the little vertical and horizontal numbers on the edge of the target (one can just discern a bullet smudge on the "6" in the upper left hand corner from one of these hits).

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/DSC04504.jpg

I finished up with some offhand rapidfire practice at 25 yards using a pig/circle steel spinner. Hits were fast and frequent (power ring set to 10X) with the spinner just slowing down as the next cycled round was in the chamber. Of my seven CZ rimfire rifles, this particular American has always been the easiest to cycle. 100% reliable at feeding and ejecting every type of .22 LR ammo ever tried in it. Not the most accurate CZ I own but a good shooter with a balance that seems to simply dance for me.

The Grand Slam is nice glass. Virtually worth as much as the rifle and that is what I have often heard recommended.

The best bang for buck in a .22 rifle is one from the CZ line of rimfires.

Danny

eZero
August 10, 2011, 05:18 PM
for a semi-auto, definitely a Ruger 10/22. You can upgrade it and customize as much as you want.

For a bolt action. CZ 452/3/5 is a good choice if you are willing to tinker with it a bit. CZ makes a great gun but the stock trigger has a bit of creep. Also on mine the accuracy was sub par until i bedded the stock and then the accuracy was excellent. To fix the creep you can buy a trigger shim from Yo dave for 10 15 bucks. After those 2 tweaks mine shoots like a dream.

I got a 455 with 22LR barrel and 17 hmr barrel. Planning on getting the 22 WMR barrel soon.

Te Anau
August 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
for a semi-auto, definitely a Ruger 10/22. You can upgrade it and customize as much as you want.
Or just buy a nice rifle that doesn't need to have half its parts replaced to be decent to begin with.My Savage semi,bolt and Remington 597 were great shooters out of the box. ;)

Bamashooter
August 11, 2011, 03:12 PM
So was my Ruger 10/22. Both of them. People who complain about accuracy must not be good shooters because I have been shooting them for 20+ years and they have always been accurate. I have yet to replace a part on either one. I dont know where this replace half the parts to be accurate garbage is coming from. Must just be ignorance or lack of experience with a 10/22 or just someone who doesnt like them and runs around badmouthing them. Either way saying they need an overhaul to be accurate is wrong.

Braatzy
August 11, 2011, 03:17 PM
Marlin model 60 is rugged, customizable, very accurate, and just a good all-arounder

Antique Shooter
August 11, 2011, 03:30 PM
Unless you are going to buy an older rifle, Anschutz is right at the top for new .22's. I've had mine for a while, and have nothing bad to say. If your going to buy an older rifle, I have a Mossberg 42 M that shoots pretty darn close to the Anschutz. 5 shot group in one hole easy at 25yds. Somebody mentioned a Remington 581 another good choice. Older Marlins shoot pretty well also, and you can usually find them for under 200$

Antique Shooter

JACK308
August 11, 2011, 03:42 PM
either Savage or Henery

tahunua001
August 11, 2011, 03:43 PM
I've owned 2 22s. one was a marlin model 60 I could shoot empty 22 casings at 50-60 yards but it had a nasty tendency of jamming. I have a 10/22 now that is crazy reliable but I have an archangel ar15 type stock on it that kindof ruins the accuracy. the 10/22 is the best for aftermarket parts and ruger has the best customer service but slightly lacking if you ever get the aftermarket stuff

NWCP
August 11, 2011, 03:45 PM
For the best .22 ever made the 10/22 sure needs a lot of upgrades in order to work well. ;) Pre '64 Winchester Bolt action .22s are really nice shooters. As for modern .22s I like the Browning Semi Auto .22LR breakdown and any of the CZ rimfire bolt actions. JMHO

Picher
August 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
The Savage Mk II BRG and other heavy-barrelled bolt actions with accu-trigger are pretty darned good for the money.

That said, every shooter should have at least one accurized 10-22! That doesn't mean it has to cost $600 to get there. You'll need a good match barrel, like the Green Mountain HB, and Volquartsen trigger parts.

If you're handy with tools and if you get, preferably, a good used Deluxe model, and use my bedding/metal working system, you can do it all to the remaining factory parts and get it to shoot half-inch groups with good ammo. It's a lot of work, but many people are enjoying fantastic rifles without spending much money. Check out the 10-22 Tips and Tricks Forum at RimfireCentral.com for some really great techniques.

I've seen lots of impressive-looking, expensive "put-together" 10-22's, but if the bedding and metal work isn't done correctly, they can't hold a candle to a carefully-modified "mostly" factory Deluxe model (or 10-22T).

JP

223 shooter
August 11, 2011, 04:26 PM
That said, every shooter should have at least one accurized 10-22! That doesn't mean it has to cost $600 to get there. You'll need a good match barrel, like the Green Mountain HB, and Volquartsen trigger parts.

Agreed ,I added a $150 Volquartsen barrel to a 10/22 Deluxe , an upgrade that turned the 10/22 into my best shooting 22lr rimfire rifle. The upgrade total - barrel + plus rifle was right in the range of rifles like my CZ American or Marlin 39.

For the best .22 ever made the 10/22 sure needs a lot of upgrades in order to work well.

Seems to me the 10/22 was selling remarkably well long before the aftermarket craze started.

No one seems to make a great fuss over a shooter customizing a 1911 and most of the work has to be performed by a pistolsmith. Yet when someone upgrades a 10/22 , feathers seem to get ruffled on these boards.:confused:

chucknbach
August 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
So was my Ruger 10/22. Both of them. People who complain about accuracy must not be good shooters because I have been shooting them for 20+ years and they have always been accurate. I have yet to replace a part on either one. I dont know where this replace half the parts to be accurate garbage is coming from. Must just be ignorance or lack of experience with a 10/22 or just someone who doesnt like them and runs around badmouthing them. Either way saying they need an overhaul to be accurate is wrong.

Could be your standard of accuracy is alot lower than some of us. I sold my 10/22 'cuz it couldn't shoot. I expect and demand 1 hole at 50 from a .22 out of the box, then I want to go from there to get a smaller hole.

shurshot
August 13, 2011, 07:55 PM
I have owned MANY .22's over the years, from the Ruger 10-22 to the Marlin 60, to an old Stevens semi-auto .22 and Winchester lever action and SS model 67. Bolts, semi's, SS, levers. Tried them all. The best???????? Easy...........

REMINGTON NYLON 66. :D

Bamashooter
August 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
Well chuck I sure wasnt shooting one hole groups with my 10/22. What I was doing was shooting quarter sized groups with green tag ammo and either one of my rugers. Thats good enough for me. So I guess maybe Im not up to your standards. I do think its funny that you sold your 10/22 because it wouldnt shoot one hole groups. :D

cajun47
August 14, 2011, 09:19 AM
my 10/22 malfunctions every kind of malfunction quite often even with factory mags. from brand new to the 10,000 round mark. not saying they all junk but mine is and my brother's 10/22 malfunctions pretty regularly too.

my sig 522 works 99% perfectly with any ammo. super accurate too. imo thats the best semi auto .22lr rifle. my brother in laws s&w 15-22(?) is pretty good but the trigger isn't up to sig standards.

ltc444
August 14, 2011, 10:24 AM
Best 22 is my fathers Springfield manufactured in 1922. he took crows at 300 yards with open sights off hand.

When he told me I didn't believe him but didn't say anything. we were walking across a field. he saw a crow on a fence post and shot it. The fence line was surveyed at 300 ft.

Crazy Carl
August 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Marlin. Cheaper than the Ruger & IMO, more accurate out of the box.

My CZ452 was amazingly accurate, as well, but there is a SUBSTANTIAL (to me) price difference between a Marlin 60DLX with TechSights & a CZ452 American with good glass.

Try a few. See what blows yer skirt up. Buy it.

hooligan1
August 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
Bo howdy that Kimber and those CZ's shoot well,,,, I used to shoot a 40X, 22 LR Match rifle for the Mo. Army National Guard that would shoot same hole on scaled targets at 50 ft. But the family's best .22 is got to be the Winchester Mod# 67, with the right ammo it shoots same hole at 25 yds easy, despite me doing everything I can to mess it up!;)

Abel
August 14, 2011, 02:16 PM
Best 22 is my fathers Springfield manufactured in 1922. he took crows at 300 yards with open sights off hand.

When he told me I didn't believe him but didn't say anything. we were walking across a field. he saw a crow on a fence post and shot it. The fence line was surveyed at 300 ft.

So. Which was it? 300ft or 300 yards. Help me out here. :D

adbramsay
August 14, 2011, 02:50 PM
this argument has been had a million times with my customers, honestly it depends on purpose of use and how much you want to spend.

I find that I get the fewest complaints on the Ruger 10/22 and Remington 597. Each have their respective faults and upsides, I bought the Ruger 10/22 because of the aftermarket support for them. I am dissappointed though with the polymer trigger assembly on my gun so I bought an all metal one from ClarkCustomGuns for about $35, well worth it too.

Telgriff
August 15, 2011, 01:25 AM
CZ all the way. Or if you want something more expensive and more dedicated to target shooting, then Anschutz.

Though at my range, every rimfire comp is dominated by CZ owners - most of them 452's including myself. The trigger is a bit heavy but you can get that swapped out for a better one if you want. Having shot both CZ's and Annies, I prefer the CZ.

tony101
August 15, 2011, 09:38 AM
cz 453 that has the single set triger.that way you dont have to worry about the creep in the 452 triger that some complain about.

scottycoyote
August 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
seems like i read a lot of 22 competitors use the cz, id love to pick up one some day if a good deal floats my way. Barring that i think the marlins are accurate as heck, either the 60 or the bolt action.

Wuchak
August 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
The best for me is the Marlin 39a. It has been in continuous production for over 100 years for a reason. I get smaller groups out of my 39a than I do with my 452 with Brooks trigger kit. As a bonus the 39a breaks down for easy cleaning and transportation.

If you are a tinkerer than the 10/22 is where it's at.

tulsamal
August 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have to admit that CZ on page one sure looks tempting. But it brings up a pet peeve..... I've picked up CZ .22's before and I'm always interested until I turn the rifle over and look at the trigger guard. How come CZ is still using some kind of bent sheet metal for their trigger guard after all these years? Looks like something that would have come on some inexpensive utility .22 rifle from the 20's or 30's! Somebody must make a replacement but CZ really should design and produce something a little more modern looking right from the factory.

Gregg

PoorRichRichard
August 15, 2011, 01:00 PM
My marlin 795 has been great outta the box. I put a little cheap Walmart scope on it, and I can hit clays at 200 yards from a rest.

trg42wraglefragle
August 16, 2011, 02:05 AM
You said a .22 rifle.
Have you considered a 22-250, its basically the same, with just the -250 added in the name.

.300 Weatherby Mag
August 16, 2011, 02:13 AM
I have to admit that CZ on page one sure looks tempting. But it brings up a pet peeve..... I've picked up CZ .22's before and I'm always interested until I turn the rifle over and look at the trigger guard. How come CZ is still using some kind of bent sheet metal for their trigger guard after all these years? Looks like something that would have come on some inexpensive utility .22 rifle from the 20's or 30's! Somebody must make a replacement but CZ really should design and produce something a little more modern looking right from the factory.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3600

Gus-gus
August 16, 2011, 02:22 AM
I have a few 22's which make me smile. One is a Taurus -- 63 STAINLESS 22LR semi auto. I love it. It is super user friendly and accurate, but most of all it is a work of art.
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/7426172628/9566539/acf2926.jpg
Not mine but very close to mine.

darkgael
August 16, 2011, 07:16 AM
Extreme accuracy. Scoped rifle.
If you go to a .22 Prone rifle match, the guns found on the line in both the metallic sight and any sight matches are mostly Anschutz and some Walthers with a sprinkling of other rifles.
.22 Prone shooting is a game of X's. It is shot, outdoors, at distances of 50 yards, 50 meters, 100 yards.
The 100 yard course of fire is 40 shots. The national "any sight" record is 400 40X. The X-ring is one inch in diameter. So...40 shots into one inch at 100 yards.
For metallic sights the record is 400 39X.
Honestly, I don't know what rifles the record setters used but I'd be willing to bet that they were shooting Anschutz or Walther.

Pete

Don P
August 16, 2011, 07:36 AM
It's shared by me. I will take my Marlin 795 over a base 10/22 any day. And for half the price of the 10/22 at that.

Maybe you would like to buy mine. 795 being the biggest POS I have purchased. Quality control is non existent. This is one purchase I am sorry for making. A extra $50-75 for a Savage or Ruger would have been a much better choice.

OsOk-308
August 25, 2011, 11:23 PM
Maybe you would like to buy mine. 795 being the biggest POS I have purchased. Quality control is non existent. This is one purchase I am sorry for making. A extra $50-75 for a Savage or Ruger would have been a much better choice.

I'm sorry to hear that yours is terrible, however, every gun company will have a sloppy gun or two. I have never had any problems with my marlin. It has always achieved fantastic accuracy. The gun definitely was wort the 125 i spent on it.

Yung.gunr
September 6, 2011, 08:09 PM
I was in the market for a .22 rifle a couple months ago and I decided on the Savage Mark II. I love that rifle. I was looking at some Marlins and the CZ 452 and the CZ 455. That 455 IIRC has a real sweet trigger set up. I went with the Savage over the CZs because I was able to get a scope on it and still stay in my budget.
I really like the accutrigger and I shoot it really well. I like that the magazines are so affordable as well.
If I had it to do over again I would still get the Savage. If I had the extra cash I would go with one of the CZs.

sc928porsche
September 7, 2011, 06:12 AM
The most accurate 22 I own is an Anchutz. Closely followed by the Weatherby XXII. Next in line is the Winchester 190, then followed by the Savage 64 and Marlin 60. The 10/22 is the least accurate of them all. These are "out of the box" rifles. Your results may differ from mine.

taurus4life
September 7, 2011, 09:55 AM
best bang for the buck 22 is a mossberg plinkster. i love mine

aarondhgraham
September 7, 2011, 10:08 AM
But like taurus4life said,,,
best bang for the buck 22 is a mossberg plinkster. i love mine

My Mossberg 702 Plinkster has been a tremendous performer.

I have ran thousands upon thousands of rounds through it,,,
I can't remember the last time it malfunctioned.

I hit just as well with it as my friends do with their tricked out 10/22's,,,
I have to admit makes me chuckle when they hit no better than me.

I paid $109.95 for it at WallyWorld a few years back,,,
Definitely worth every penny I spent on it.

Aarond

bailey bud
September 7, 2011, 12:12 PM
I have a hard time deciding between the Winchester 9422 and the CZ 452.

Chances are, I'd end up with the later, since they're easier to find.

thepon
September 9, 2011, 12:02 PM
So why did I select the Savage Mark2 BRJ 22lr
1 Laminated wood stock seems to be the best stock ie durable, rigid
2 Savage accutrigger. Safer and more accurate
3 bolt action simple and reliable

5whiskey
September 9, 2011, 08:54 PM
Without reading the whole thread, I'll put my nod in for a marlin model 60. Try to buy an older, pre 1980's one. There were millions of them made and a used one can be picked up for a song. Probably the most accurate semi-auto .22lr ever made, and mine has been nothing but reliable. Even without a rigid cleaning schedule.

Edit: I just read the whole thread and see you're looking for a match rifle. Marlin 60 IS very accurate, but you'll be better served by a bolt action CZ or Savage.

mrawesome22
September 13, 2011, 01:55 AM
My favorite 22 I own is my Henry Frontier model. Truly a gun my Grandchildren will enjoy.

Achilles11B
September 13, 2011, 03:54 PM
+1 for the Savage Mk II. You can't go wrong with the AccuTrigger, good (or in my case, decent) glass and a good action on a good, comfortable stock. It's ridiculously accurate when I shoot like I know what I'm doing. :D

tAKticool
September 13, 2011, 04:17 PM
What you need is a variety so you can select .22's like a golfer selects golf clubs:

(http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/img0789vz.jpg/)

Savage Mark II GXP .22LR bolt action, with Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm scope/Nikoplex Reticle

S&W M&P 15-22 .22LR semi-auto AR-style, with Aimpoint Micro R-1 and Magpul Back Up Sights (R-1 not pictured)

Remington 597 .22LR auto-loading, with internal mods, Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm scope/Bullet Drop Compensating 'BDC' reticle

now you got your bases covered in case you need to snipe, hunt, or ninja flip on somebody!

Motownstan
September 13, 2011, 10:00 PM
Quote:
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3600

$120 for a trigger guard??????:eek: Mine works. :cool: