PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Handle Repair

Fargazer
August 8, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have a older Remington Targetmaster single shot .22 (Model 510); yesterday when I removed it from the case I found the bolt handle broken (about halfway down the "neck" - there's about an inch left on the bolt, and an inch yet on the bolt knob).

I would like to repair this if possible; it was my mother's .22, and my uncle engraved both the receiver and the bolt handle. Is there an adhesive (JB Weld or the like) that would be strong enough to reattach the bolt knob and adhere under use? Or do I need to just find another Targetmaster, use it's bolt, and keep the original bolt for sentiment / display purposes?

Doyle
August 8, 2011, 10:24 AM
No adhesive would come close to being strong enough. Yes, it can be rewelded. A cheaper solution is to find a used bolt. I'd hit Numrich first, then Gunbroker. A bolt from a 510, 511, or 512 will work (they are all the same bolt).

Unclenick
August 8, 2011, 10:47 AM
If you want to keep the original, find someone who is a good TIG welder. See if he can do the welding without touching the engraving and can clean the weld up flush with the outside afterward. Some of those guys can weld a crack in car body steel. With an inch of extra room to spare, the heat won't likely spread to the bolt, though you want to strip it and get the springs and firing pin out before proceeding. The gun will need refinishing afterward, which is why you don't want to braze it. The brazing filler won't accept the same finish.

James K
August 8, 2011, 04:09 PM
That is an inexpensive .22 and trying to keep it "original" by welding will cost a lot more than just replacing the bolt handle, which Gun Parts lists at around $30. Sure a good welder can do it, but not for that price.

Jim

Fargazer
August 9, 2011, 07:59 AM
I think I'm going to purchase a replacement bolt handle from Numrich, and next month have the original bolt handle rewelded. I'm also starting to keep an eye out on the various auction sites for another 510 Targetmaster - it's usually the most popular rifle when I introduce newbies to shooting, and it would be handy to have another.

James: I agree it isn't worth the value of the gun to have it rewelded, but it's more than worth the value of the gun's sentiment.

johnbt
August 9, 2011, 04:24 PM
What's a tig welder charge these days to fix a bolt handle, $25 or $40?

Check this guy's work.

www.straightshotgunsmithing.com

Fargazer
August 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
Good news! The gunsmith that works with my LGS will have a professional TIG welder refasten the broken bolt handle together. Cost is around $25, so not too bad :)