PDA

View Full Version : mossberg/maverick question

williebuilt
August 7, 2011, 07:57 AM
I was looking at buying an 8 shot maverick, but I already have a 500 that serves as a beater gun. I looked on maverick's website and you can buy a 20 inch (8 shot) barrel for $75. Next you would need an 8 shot mag tube so the barrel retaining screw has something to attach to. Midway lists an 8 shot mossberg magazine for $30 and the spring for less than 5 bucks. It seems like a cheap way to end up with an 8 shot gun. Just wanting to make sure this will work before I order parts, I know the barrels are supposed to interchange between the two guns but since I am changing the mag tube also I didnt know if it would work. If anyone has any input or has done this I would appreciate the input.

BBroadside
August 7, 2011, 08:29 AM
This is a good question. For some reason I didn't think you could increase the magazine capacity on any Mossberg / Maverick without some real gunsmithing.

This thread (http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/30017-increasing-capacity.html) has some opinions that agree.

I'm no expert myself. It's just that, in my looking around for a really versatile gun, I chose Remington over Mossberg because only the former allowed you to start with a bird or skeet gun, and both increase ammo capacity AND move to a shorter barrel. Different barrel lengths are only available on small-mag Mossbergs. Switching barrels on a big-mag Mossberg (7-shot 500 or 8-shot 590) means same length, different sights, or different chokes.

Of course, you wrote "I am changing the mag tube" which may mean you've already done that, found it easy, and proven me wrong in advance! If not, I have a hunch you'll go with the side-saddle solution and keep your small mag. Lots of people do that for balance anyway.

Couzin
August 7, 2011, 03:32 PM
If I remember correctly, the mag tube on the 500 is easily changed. The 88 requires some effort if you are trying to add an extension but if you buy a shorter barrel and the matching magazine tube then it is an easy change. Barrels for a 500 fit the 88 if you are shopping for a cheap used one.

williebuilt
August 7, 2011, 03:45 PM
The mag tube shouldnt be an issue, as it is a Mossy part, not a Mav part. I dont think Mossberg would use different thread pitches on their mag tubes between 6 shot and 8 shot models. In theory the Mav barrel should work perfect unless the swapability between a 500 and an 88 does not apply to the 8 shot models. I hope a forum member has a 6 shot 500, a 8 shot 500 and an 8 shot Mav and doesnt have anything to do for about 30 minutes and see if this idea will work!

hogdogs
August 7, 2011, 06:22 PM
completely fine... same gun... same dimensions...

Brent

BBroadside
August 7, 2011, 07:00 PM
I stand corrected! Thrice!
:o

williebuilt
August 7, 2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for everyone's input!