PDA

View Full Version : Walther SP22-M4 ?????

LDBennett
August 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
Anyone got anything, good or bad, to say about the Walther SP22-M4?

I have many target pistols and am after another good shooter. I like the appearance of the SP22 series of guns but I am limited by California law to either the M2 or M4 version and am drawn to the "match" version, the M4. The M2 is a plinker version without the match barrel or the adjustable trigger and grip so it is out for me.

The pricing, at about $800 MSRP, seems somewhat high but if the gun performs that is not a problem for me.

Anyone?

LDBennett

group17
August 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
Do not have experience with the pistol in question but wanted to let you know CDNN has the M4 on sale for $389.
They also have the M2 with free truGlo sights for $249.
Save some money.

LDBennett
August 7, 2011, 07:22 AM
group17:

Thanks for the info but .......... CDNN Investments will not ship any handguns to California. They think the CA gun laws too onerous and simply refuse to send handguns (and semi-auto rifles) to CA at all.

I did find the gun at Bud's Guns site at $536 (3% cash discount included) plus shipping which is the best price I have found so far. I found a local transfer dealer that will handle the transaction. But the comments I am getting are disturbing.

Some say the guns are great and shoot with guns like the Hi Std's. Others say they have loads of stamped parts internally along with plastic. Still others curse the day they bought either the M1 or M2. I am going for the M4 which has a different trigger (the biggest complaint by M1 and M2 owners), adjustable ERGO grips, and a match barrel. Is it better? It all leaves some doubt in my mind as I have yet to handle any of the SP22 series guns (??). Do I gamble and just order it or ???? Haven't decided yet.

LDBennett

Rugerismisticness
August 7, 2011, 07:47 AM
Move.........seriously

I have an M2 that is excellent. The series was never designed to compete with the Hammerlis and Model 41s, until the M4 came out. Performance wise, the M4 beats the heck outta most other pistols. It's extremely accurate, great trigger, reliable, cheap, and the grips are interchangable. The only downer is that they are built to be cheaper than the competition. The bolt is zamak:eek:, there is a double strand recoil spring, a buffer, stamped extracter, way to stiff firing pin spring that needs to be cut for better reliability, bolt hold open, adjustible trigger, adjustible sights that don't help much (the sights are very wide), and the "bushing" is a cast piece. I really like mine, it feeds everything including some wadcutters I made. With the M2, my groups are under an inch at 25yards using wolff MT and CCI Subs. I bought mine for 300$, but the M2 used to go for 425$:eek:. If I had to do it again, I probably would have tracked down the now defunct Ruger MKIII 6 7/8".

LDBennett
August 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
The SP22-M4 has an $800 MSRP and the best price I have seen that will ship to California is about $600 to a CA transfer dealer (Add about another $100 for fees and CA state tax). Is this gun worth $700 to me? It has a Zamak (pot metal bolt??). I think probably not regardless that the look of it is unique. I have many other 22LR semi-auto target pistol (including the Ruger MK II 678 Government Model) and that pricings doesn't add up for a pot metal gun.

I queried Walther about what it is made of and all I got back was that it was made in Germany of unknown materials. That's a cop-out. They know what it is made of or that it has significant parts made of pot metal (Zamak ...Zinc alloy).

This pistol is not for me! Glad I got input from all you people as it gave me insight I could not get since I would have to order it sight unseen. There are no stocking dealers anywhere in my area. Thank you all.

LDBennett