PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Center Contender in 5.45?

tahunua001
August 4, 2011, 11:52 AM
hello all,
so I'm looking at cheap plinking options to invest in. 5.45 soviet has had generally stable availability and usually beats most other calibers prices. at first I was considering getting a contender in 30 tok but that bandwagon sold out faster than I could sceme. does anyone know of anyone that makes a contender barrel(preferably in rifle length) in 5.45 soviet or am I just up dookie creek without a rifle?

mikejonestkd
August 4, 2011, 12:11 PM
Since S&W shut down the factory TC custom shop last year your options are all from the aftermarket manufacturers. You are looking at a custom barrel, which should be fairly easily made by any of these companies:

www.eabco.com

www.sskindustries.com

www.bullberry.com

All are top notch in terms of quality and accuracy. I have two e arthur brown barrels, and two ssk industries barrels and they are worth the cost. All three companies do both Encore and Contender barrels. I hope this helps.

Edit: Call them, the generally recognized max for a contender frame is about the pressure that the .223 remington generates. I believe that the 5.45 russian might be above that maximum safe limit. I am sure that they will be able to tell you if it is safe or not.

tahunua001
August 4, 2011, 12:59 PM
it was informative but none of these companies make barrels in 5.45.

Pahoo
August 4, 2011, 02:33 PM
it was informative but none of these companies make barrels in 5.45.

Have you contacted and specically asked them about your requirements. Not trying to second guess you but have found that in the past, asking goes a long way surprisingly it might get done. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

tahunua001
August 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
I asked SSK, they said that they didn't because
"contenders and steel cased ammo does not mix"
bullberry has a lot of wildcats but not 5.45.
EABCO only does the normal tc factory available rounds

mikejonestkd
August 4, 2011, 03:51 PM
bullberry has a lot of wildcats but not 5.45.
EABCO only does the normal tc factory available rounds

Both manufacturers specialize in custom chamberings that are not readily available from the manufacturer for both contenders and Encores, and they will chamber a barrel in anything that is safe to fire in a contender. that's what they do for a living!!

Call them directly and ask:

EA Brown : 1-800- 950-9088

Bullberry: 1-435-635-9866

tahunua001
August 4, 2011, 09:19 PM
ok guys thanks for the help. I have however been dissuaded from the contender. I would have find a reciever, then have the barrel made, then find furniture I want on it and in the end I would end up with a $800 minimum single shot gun with a barrel that, at best, would have a questionable ability to withstand the ability to handle the round.

on the other hand I just found out that savage now makes a bolt action, thumbhole stock, 4+1 rifle that goes for right around $600. for the reasons I want, a bolt action would still restrict the the number of times I squeeze the trigger and would manage recoil much better than the contender. I think I have just found a decent alternative.
sorry for wasting your time.
so long
god bless

M.O.A.
August 5, 2011, 12:29 AM
the striker! i dont think they make it anymore but you can find them. Remington makes one to an both are real nice and your not going to find the cal. you want but you can get a custom barrel for ethere.

amd6547
August 5, 2011, 03:58 AM
Or...just get a Saiga 5.45...they are fantastic, fun rifles. Just use the supplied 10-shot mag, and don't squeeze the trigger much...
With this option, you are only looking at $350 for the rifle, and $300 for a 2160rd case of ammo.

M.O.A.
August 5, 2011, 03:23 PM
amd i think the op just wants a pistol

tahunua001
August 5, 2011, 03:32 PM
M.O.A,
why would you say that I'm looking for a pistol? I'm confused...though that happens a lot:eek::confused:

it's the model 25 LV-T, they're making it in 223, 204, 22 hornet, 5.7 and 5.45(according to their 2011 catalog). I would kind of like the 5.7 but ammo costs are neck and neck with 243. my main reason for 5.45 is that it's the cheapest rifle ammo you can get that's readily available in bulk. I suck with rifles but I'm fairly good with pistols, I want to have a gun that I can practice with for dirt cheap that still has more recoil than a 22lr so I can start to boost my rifle skills for next hunting season. since I was a moron and "accelerated my life" I've done very little rifle shooting and it shows.

M.O.A.
August 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
my bad. i couldnt figer out way you couldnt get a tc barrel in your 5.45 its not one that they wont make in a rifle but maybe not a pistol heck ive had 7-08, 308, 30-30, 45-70,all in pistols and many otheres in the contender and encores and dont see why they wont make it in 5.45.

and now have a 6.8 and 444marlin

M.O.A.
August 5, 2011, 03:47 PM
how much more is the 223 over the 5.45 that maybe a good cal for you there cheap and accurate and dont kick much but still more than a 22