PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 60

bullethole1
July 28, 2011, 08:14 AM
Just a quick couple of questions. Its a new gun, and I was concerned about the bolt you pull back with your finger,is it supposed to have a little play or is it supposed to be completely solid as if it were welded on to the action.Also should I let the bar snap freely when I press the button to let the action or whatever you call it to snap or should I hold on to it so it doesnt slam/snap hard shut? Sorry for being kind of illiterate. Im just wanting to make sure everything is alright. Thanks for any help especially if you would go look at one of your 60's:)

ndking1126
July 28, 2011, 08:29 AM
I've had my Marlin 60 for probably 20 years. As far back as I can remember, yes, the finger groove for the bolt does have a little play. If you were to take it apart, you would see that it just sits in place.

Also, I have always let my bolt slam forward and have seen no issues from it. I don't know if that's the manufacturers recommendation, but that's what I've done.

I shoot the 36/38 gran federal bulk bricks (can't remember what the actual weight was) without problem. Mine doesn't like the 40 grain from Federal though.

scottycoyote
July 28, 2011, 02:02 PM
yep a little play, and yep i let it slam

Water-Man
July 28, 2011, 02:40 PM
a little play...a little slam...lots of accuracy, dependability and fun.

bullethole1
July 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys ,I really appreciate your time! :cool:

redrick
July 28, 2011, 03:13 PM
I don't have one ,but have been looking at them and everyone I looked at had some play in it, some more than others.

bullethole1
July 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks!

tahunua001
July 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
a model60 was the first gun I owned. I dont remember per say but I believe that pushing the charging handle inward locks the bolt to the rear for cleaning purposes(granted mine was one of the old curved handles not the new round ones they come with now). and yes you never want to (granny) the bolt forward, during normal cycling the bolt runs all the way back and the springs automatically slam it back shut and chamber a round. I dont know of any guns that require you to control forward motion with your hand.
hope this helped.
also mine didn't like soft lead bullets but brass and copper jackets went through like a champ.

bullethole1
July 29, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah I have 2 of those and now this new one.I just wanted to buy another 60 in case they would ever discontinue them so Im safe:D