PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin

thinktwice
July 27, 2011, 10:31 PM
My brother in law is looking at buying a Marlin22 cal. I am not sure of the model, but I am trying to talking him in to a Ruger 10/22. I think they are close in price. I even got my old 10/22 out the other day, it's been sitting in the safe for about 8 years, the last time it was used my son shot around 500 rounds through it, and put it away dirty, never even cleaned the bore. ( needless to say he won't use any of my guns again) Anyway we shot around 300 rounds through it without a jam or problem at all. It was still as accurate as the day I bought it. What do you guys think. When any of you reply I am going to show them to him, and then let him make his own choice. Thanks Guys/ Gals

Jbotto
July 27, 2011, 10:41 PM
First off I am a big fan of Marlins, both their semi-auto and bolt action models. In saying that I wouldn't discourage away from the Marlin. If it's a model 60 he's seeking, they are great. I believe they have outsold the 10/22's for many years. They are both great guns, but personally I think the 60 looks a little classier. If it's the Marlin 795 (clip fed), he might be in luck or might get a lemon. From hanging out in the Marlin semi-auto page over at Rimfire Central, it seems that some of them are duds, and some of them are absolutely great. My 795 is a great little accurate plinker. Very light weight, and very reliable. If your brother's purpose of buying this semi-auto is to customize it for himself, the Ruger has far more options in do so. Manufacturers are beginning to make more and more aftermarket accessories for the Marlins, but still the Ruger wins in that category. I believe he can't go wrong with any of the three I mentioned, and in owning two of them I can keep suggesting the Marlins. I've shot more than a few Rugers, but they just don't seem to be my cup of tea.

Buzzcook
July 27, 2011, 10:56 PM
I don't modify my guns. If I did the Ruger 10/22 would be a hands down winner.
But out of the box the Marlin 60 is imho a much better choice.

I am also a fan of tube magazines for .22 semis.

ndking1126
July 28, 2011, 03:28 AM
I don't modify my guns. If I did the Ruger 10/22 would be a hands down winner.
But out of the box the Marlin 60 is imho a much better choice.

I am also a fan of tube magazines for .22 semis.

Very well said. Either one should be a great rifle. Rugers are more customizeable, but Marlins tend to be more accurate out of the box. YMMV, though.

I you plan on keeping it stock, hold both, shoulder them, and see which one fits you better.

Rifleman1776
July 28, 2011, 07:53 AM
Based on experience with other Marlins, I wouldn't have one at all.
My Ruger 10/22 has had countless thousands of rounds through it flawlessly.
Accurate and reliable. Can't ask for more than that except reasonable price. And...Oh, yes....the Ruger is reasonably priced.

bailey bud
July 28, 2011, 08:38 AM
It is my opinion (as a Marlin owner) that the Ruger is a better gun.

My Marlin and I have come to an understanding after 15 years.....

(it requires that I purchase the correct ammo, though)

jmr40
July 28, 2011, 10:13 AM
The Marlin MIGHT be more accurate out of the box, might not. The Ruger will still be working years after the Marlin has given up. The weak link in either is the magazine. They will wear out and the cost of replacing the worn out mag tube on the Marlin is not worth the expense. I have 2 older model 60's that are now single shots because of this. I could have them repaired, but it is simply not worth the expense. I have other rifles.

The Ruger mags will also wear out and have to be replaced, but that is simple and cheap enough.

I'm also one of those guys who keeps none of my rifles stock. The Ruger is perfect for modifying to suit your tastes and with the right modifications will certainly be much more accurate than the Marlin will out of the box.

Poodleshooter
July 28, 2011, 12:26 PM
Figure out which Marlin.
I'm not a fan of their tube fed designs (such as the 60), but I like the box mag fed designs well enough.

As stated above, the magazine/feed assembly is the weak link in either design. The Ruger magazine is pretty good (and can be cheaply replaced if it fails), but the Marlin mag tube/lifter assembly is more complicated, harder to access, and easier to jam, IMHO.

Having worked on both the 60 and the 10/22 fairly extensively, I think the 10/22 is a far simpler design that is much easier to work on. The Marlin 60 does have a bolt hold open, but that's a less useful feature on a tube fed rifle that takes much longer to reload anyway, and it adds more complexity.

Hawg
July 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
The Marlin tube loads faster and easier than the stock Ruger mag and with a speed loader is really fast, it holds more too. The Marlin is more accurate out of the box. Personally I've never seen a Marlin tube fail and I've got a pretty old one and had older ones. My 10/22 hardly ever gets used.

pgdion
July 28, 2011, 01:18 PM
10/22's are nice (my sons each have one) but I love my Marlins. All have been reliable and the accuracy is nothing short of amazing (especially in a rifle at these prices). Think it's best not to 'talk' your friend out of it. If he's partial to Marlins you might end up hearing forever more about how he wished he had bought the Marlin instead. basically either gun should serve him well.

Big Pard
July 28, 2011, 01:18 PM
As having both a Marlin and a Ruger, I would say the Ruger is a better gun. Both are accurate but I like the sights better on the Ruger as well as the availability of replacement parts and the ease of installing them. In addition, Ruger has a better scope base attachment system than the Marlin. I believe the design of the Ruger can better handle high volume shooting and is easier to disassemble. Now the Marlin I have has performed great, both accurate and reliable but if I have to get just one to depend on it would be the Ruger. These are just my opinions and hope they help.

Pahoo
July 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
I have owned both, shot both and like them both. I will not say anything negative about either. I will say this, I would never need to buy another Marlin but I would buy another 10/22, especially an older one. I routinely do trigger work on the 10/22's so that speaks for itself. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Jeff56
July 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
I've shot lots of both and the Marlins are pretty much always more accurate. I have a 1989 Model 60 with 150,000 rounds through it and it works almost perfectly. Any problems it has are related to the drop off in quality of ammo especially Federal which I've used for years. But Federal has really dropped off in quality IMO.

I bought a new 60SS two years ago. My friend bought 2 Rugers at the same time. We took both of his 10/22's out and both of my Marlins and we each shot all the guns. Both Marlins were clearly more accurate. And you could never find a rifle that's been more reliable than my old 60. My new 60SS is more accurate though but not by much.

I also have a 795. Ir is not up to the quality of the 60 IMO. Mine doesn't always feed well and the LSHO works about half the time. Plus the trigger guard broke on it because it is very thin around the mag well and it takes some twisting to get around the bolt release when taking it apart for cleaning. It still works actually but Marlin is back ordered on the tg's.

The only weak part of my 60SS is also the tg. It's made of a very cheap plastic. I just ordered an aluminum trigger guard and a better trigger yesterday. It could go on for years with the original tg but these Marlins do have heavy triggers. It should be mentioned that Marlin has come out with a whole new line of rifles that have a trigger that's very similar to the Savage AccuTrigger. My guess is they were losing market share to Savage so they did something about it.

Also the Marlins are considerably cheaper than the Rugers. Usually there's about a $75 difference for similar rifles.

To be honest I wouldn't even consider buying a Ruger as a entry level rifle. The Marlin just has it all over the Ruger IMO. But Marlin has had some quality issues since the company was bought out and the factory moved. I haven't had that kind of issues with my Marlins though. I've had the problems I mentioned but I still think they are quality rifles. They just seem to let more problems out the door according to many. The only evidence I've seen of cutting corners I've seen is the cheaper plastic on my 60SS. But their other 60's might have a different kind of plastic. It could be that the process of making the plastic to match the silver color of the stainless and the salt and pepper coloring of the stock on the 60SS. I really haven't looked at any other trigger guards lately. My 795 has decent plastic but it's just too thin. But remember that rifle is still selling for $100 after the rebate that's been going on for at least 2 years.

It should also be pointed out that the quality of the Rugers has dropped in recent year. They have a lot of plastic part compared to the Marlins (which have 2 plastic parts - the buffer and the tg).

Cheaper, more accurate, and more durable adds up to more than twice as many Marlins sold over the years. The most recent numbers mentioned by the companies are 11 million Marlins and 5 million Rugers. And Ruger has several different rifles that have been called a 10/22. Marlin has only one design that they call a 60. It may have cosmetic differences (like stainless and different stocks) but the action is always the same except for a few improvements made over the years. You can take parts from 60's made 20 years apart and they will work together.

Ruger makes the 10/22's for people who like to tinker. Some people like the rounded mags that fit flush with the bottom of the stock but many replace those mags with high capacity mags. Personally I do not like those rounded mags at all. They're hard to load IMO.

tahunua001
July 28, 2011, 05:05 PM
I've owned both
my marlin 60 would not take lead bullets, it would only take brass or copper cased rounds. it required cleaning about every 250 rounds to be any form of reliable and still had nasty tendencies of jamming at least once every couple of mags.
that said, my brother got it for free and gave it to me as a christmas present and being at least 20 years old it probably needed new springs, though I did have a cop friend tell me the the marlins were notorious around his dept for jamming (I never really read that far into it).

my 10/22 on the other hand has an AR15 type stock on it and cycles any kind of ammo I put in it and as long as it has decent magazines in it. the factory mags have never jammed on me and I like the speed of detachable versus tube fed(though my Model 60 was the old style 18+1 tube rather than the 14+1 they have now so that made reloading a little more bearable).
but with that said I used to shoot empty 22 casings with my marlin at 50-60 yards, a feat that I haven't even attempted with my 10/22
the base marlin60 usually goes for 50-75 bucks cheaper than the 10/22 carbine and are just a little bit lighter. so either one is a decent choice, hard to go wrong with any 22 though.

kaylorinhi
July 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
My first gun, Marlin Model 60 in 1994-ish
My second gun, Ruger 10/22 in early 1996

I have spent so many rounds that the firing pins and springs are wearing down on both! No problems from either one other that. For me the one I shoot the most is the Ruger, reason: the stock/"pistol grip" is thicker and fits my hand better. The Marlin is thinner and more sleek but doesn't fit my firing hand as well. So as stated before, go to LGS and try them both, also many rental ranges have both to try out. The +/- 150 investment is worth a few dollar to rent just for fit and feel.

Mike

Blackshirts
July 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
I don't have a 60, but I do have a Marlin 795(same action as the 60 and mag fed instead of tube). It eats any ammo I put through it. Very few of them are duds(and those that have been Marlin pays for shipping to return it and fix/replace). It's just that, like anything else, the bad experience spreads all around while the many many more great rifles like Jbotto and myself don't get the same exposure. And for those that do have the bad experience nearly every one of them are people who never looked at the gun before buying it. Just walked in, paid the money, took the box home. Not a good way to buy anything really.

thinktwice
July 28, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info guys,it looks like it's about 50/50, the Marlin he is interested in is the model 60 stainless. He likes the longer barrel,and the one he is looking at has an orange front site. Still hasn't made up his mind so keep'em coming, either way I think he will be ok, and it's his money.

Cowboy_mo
July 28, 2011, 08:07 PM
I have had both the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 10/22. My Marlin 60 developed feeding problems and I got rid of it. My Ruger 10/22 was an absolute tack driver when I shot it off the bench. However, the carbine configuration didn't fit me when shooting offhand and I couldn't hit anything.

Enter my new all time favorite. A Thompson Center Classic purchased used off Gunbroker. The rifle is a tack driver from the bench and offhand. They come standard with a 5 round box magazine and you can pick up a 10 round (all metal) fairly cheaply. The other plus for me was that it feels more like my centerfire rifles than either of the other models you listed.

cecILL
July 29, 2011, 06:29 AM
Just curious, but how does the tube magazine on the Model 60 wear out?

Jim243
July 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
how does the tube magazine on the Model 60 wear out?

This is just a guess, but there is a long spring on the tube rod that pushes the bullet down to the internal magazine, this would be the part most likely to fail, mine hasn't but I don't shoot it that often.

I have both the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 983 both in stainless steel. The 10/22 is in 22LR and the 983 is in 22 Mag. Both are very accurate. Both are scoped and fun to shoot.

I did redo the 10/22 with a muzzle brake and ATI stock and the Marlin is how it came from the factory. Since the Marlin is a bolt action and the Ruger an auto loader, my recommendation is that if your brother wants a Semi-Auto go with the Ruger 10/22 if he wants a Bolt Action XT model then go with the Marlin.

Both will do well, but Ruger makes the better Semi-Auto.

Jim

Big Pard
July 29, 2011, 09:40 AM
Just curious, but how does the tube magazine on the Model 60 wear out?
The tube fed Marlin also has problems with the feed ramp which is a cast aluminum piece.

Blackshirts
July 29, 2011, 11:53 AM
Just for fun I have shot tacks, both the metal as well as plastic head ones, and it didn't drive them at all. It mangled the metal one and demolished the plastic one.

Either way he goes he will have a good rifle. They wouldn't be the two most sold if they weren't.

603Country
July 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
I've been following this very interesting discussion. I don't have a working semi-auto 22, and was thinking about getting one. But, all this mention of the guns having plastic parts and low quality feed ramps has dampened my enthusiasm for a new semi-auto. Maybe I just should take my old Stevens 87D to the gunsmith for a rework. It always was a great shooter, but jams up these days.

bullethole1
July 29, 2011, 08:18 PM
Marlins are the best .22 makers when it comes to rimfires. I used them my whole life and found out from experience with other rimfires that nothing comes as close to Marlin's Quality,accuracy,reputation,and reliability. I however did use a Ruger 10/22 ,I shot 3 of them and all three jammed. I took them back one after the other and finally took the last one back and that was it for me with rugers. I consider the Rugers junk. :)

Bamashooter
July 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
I have 2 10/22's. One I bought over 20yrs ago and one that I bought a little over a year ago. Both are great rifles that have never caused me any trouble. The older one would jam sometimes but it was because of the junk hi-cap mags from back in the day. The newer BC and even the new ruger mags are excellent magazines. I bought a marlin model 60 just to have a cheap .22 and it was a hunk of crap. It was inaccurate, it jammed alot, and it was just cheap overall. I ended up giving it to my brother just to get rid of it. I guess you get what you pay for. Sometimes I feel like I owe my brother an apology. :D

bullethole1
July 30, 2011, 01:28 AM
riiiiiiight

Dr. Strangelove
July 30, 2011, 02:31 AM
I've owned the Marlin Model 60 and the Ruger 10/22. The 60 disappeared many years ago under mysterious circumstances, but I enjoyed shooting it.

The two rifles have a different feel when shot, the Ruger just goes bang and that's about it, I seemed to be able to feel the bolt coming back in the 60, kind of a "sliding feel".

With my two rifles, the 10/22 stock was thicker and fit my hand and shoulder better, and more of a "real rifle" feel. The 60 had a slimmer stock and always kind of felt like a toy.

I dislike the tubular magazine on the 60, for small game hunting it can be a pain. In GA you have to unload within 50yds of a road open for travel on public land, so I was forever taking the tube out, pouring the cartridges out, then reloading them, etc. With the 10/22, you simply pop the detachable mag out and pop it back in when you are ready. Additionally, I like being able to load multiple mags for the range and plinking.

I also think that the detachable magazine is a bit safer for new shooters, as the rounds aren't hidden in the tube. Pop the magazine out, clear the chamber, rifle is clear.

Accuracy wise, I didn't see any difference in the two stock rifles.

You won't go wrong with either, it's largely a matter of personal preference, but I like the 10/22.

Bamashooter
July 30, 2011, 03:26 AM
I had a mossberg plinkster and it was the cheapest gun I have ever bought. I dont mean price wise even though it was only 90 bucks new, but quality wise it was total garbage. That thing was full of plastic parts but it was very accurate and didnt jam. Even it as sorry as it was, was far and away a better gun than the marlin. At least the mossberg was accurate and reliable. Cant say the same about the marlin. Other than it was cheap quality wise.

CajunBass
July 30, 2011, 04:00 AM
You can read replies to this question until the cows come home, and it will end up about 50/50. They're both good guns.

Personally, I think the Marlin 60 is as ugly as a mud fence. They might shoot great, but I don't care. I don't want one. Actually the same could be said about the standard Ruger 10/22 also. They look cheap, because they are. (The Ruger still wins though)

Spend a few bucks more though, and you can get the Ruger 10/22 DSP (Delux Sporter). Now that is a rifle.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/000_0021.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/DSPBushnell.jpg

Get one of these, and you'll throw rocks at a Marlin 60.

Jeff56
July 30, 2011, 06:45 AM
Actually this is not a 50-50 situation. The Marlin 60's outsell the Ruger 10/22's more than 2-1. I've never seen a Marlin with a tube problem. I've never seen one with a ramp problem. I've never seen one with any feed problem that wasn't caused by total neglect or by someone monkeying with the action springs or just plain ole worn out springs. For example the person talking about a 18 round Marlin should know that the gun he's talking about is about 25 years old. There's a real good chance the springs are worn out. They are easily and cheaply replaced. Have a gunsmith do it though because there is one spring in the Marlin action that is tough to get just right.

Again I have a 60 that I've shot at least 150,000 times. I don't know how people come to the conclusion that a Ruger will last longer than that. I've shot countless 60's and owned quite a few. I learned to shoot on one back in 1967. It was reliable and accurate just like the ones they make now.

Ruger people like to think those guns are more popular but the numbers tell the real story. 11 million sold vs. 5 million sold is a pretty clear and convincing argument about their relative popularity IMO. And don't forget that Ruger has sold several different rifles and called them 10/22's. Marlin has only sold one model that is called the 60. And the new ones are nearly identical to the first ones sold back in the early 1960's. There is no plastic that hasn't always been there except for the front sight blade.

The bottom line is that either rifle will be an ok rifle but a Marlin has always been a better rifle. If you want to tinker with guns and add new parts get a Ruger though. But if you want a rifle that will work very well out of the box and last for decades get a 60. The proof for their durability can be found in any gun store or pawn shop. You'll find more Marlin 60's than probably any other firearm. It's an incredibly popular rifle for a reason. They're cheaper, more accurate, more durable and more reliable. I've compared lots of Marlins head to head with Rugers. I've never seen a Ruger win one of those comparisons.

The stuff about tube mag problems is a myth. I've never seen a 60 with a tube problem. Finding replacement rods for the 60 is as easy as looking on Numrich's web site. They have replacement parts for every slight variation going. But again I've never seen one need to be replaced. I'm sure they get sat on and stuff like that or dropped in a river or whatever. Finding a replacement is pretty easy.

Again this is not a 50-50 situation. People vote with their money in the real world. And Marlin comes out way ahead in that race.

Bamashooter
July 30, 2011, 11:41 AM
Marlin 60's outsell 10/22's 2-1(which I dont believe) because they are cheap made guns. You get what you pay for. Guns built back in the day are better guns than the ones made today. Ruger is still a better quality gun. Period. I have a 10/22 thats over 20yrs old and its still plinking along. Probably more accurate than a new marlin all day long and twice as reliable.
Bottom line if you want a cheap plinker that might last 10yrs get you a marlin. If you want quality and dependability get the good stuff. Ruger.

dalegribble
July 30, 2011, 12:50 PM
i have 2 ruger 10/22's. my first is so old it came with a walnut stock and cost me just $39 brand new (about 40 years ago) the second is only a few years newer and cost me $59 new in box with scope. neither have ever failed me afte many, many thousands of rounds.

i bought my dad a new marlin model 60 about 20 years ago. very nice gun at least as accurate as the rugers, slower to reload. the marlin is very nice but i like my rugers much better.

i still have my very first rifle, a marlin/glenfield model 25 bolt action with clip feed. it is very accurate and works as well today as when i bought it new 41 years ago for $29 w/scope. i also have a marlin 25 m in 22 magnum that is a great gun and very accurate.

i will take my ruger 10/22's over the marlin 60 comparing apples to apples. i do love my marlin bolt action 22 and 22mag rifles but that is comparing apples to oranges.

ELMOUSMC
July 30, 2011, 02:13 PM
Including the Glenfield, the Marlin 60 has out sold and out shot the Ruger 10/22 from day 1 right out of the box the model 60 will out shoot any ruger.Now if you all are talking about dropping any where from $400 on up into a rifle to get it to shot then Ruger is the way to go
I have a Glenfield that was made in 1972 and has more than 100,000 rounds down the pipe and I can count on 1 hand the number of times it has had any issues and the 1s it did have were minor
Marlins are real choosey on the ammo they like but once you find it they are minute of squirrel from then on out
ElmoUSMC