PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 700?

Hog Buster
July 27, 2011, 09:11 PM
Today while it was raining like a cow... err.... relieving her self.... on a flat rock, I was tooling around the internet and found an interesting site about the Remington 700s’ safety problem. The one that was discussed on here at length, a while back, about them firing when the safety was taken off.

The gist of it was that the detent ball on the safety was putting pressure on the trigger enough to disengage it so that when the safety was turned on the gun fired.

Interesting, but wondering if this was something new, or just new to me?

The URL is: http://darnellsbeep.beep.com/

warbirdlover
July 28, 2011, 07:32 AM
I think Remington might have figured this out. Take a look at the new XMark Pro trigger. I don't think it is the same design.

Hog Buster
July 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
Warbirdlover

No doubt Remington figured this out a while back, the new triggers have a spring and lever and no detent ball. But, this was the first time I had heard what caused the problem, or how to remedy it.

I’ve got an old Remington Sportsman 78, a knock off version of the 700, that needs a trigger group cleaning and adjusting. While I’m at it I’m going to make the modification to the trigger so this can’t happen to it.

warbirdlover
July 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
First time for me also. The former "theory" was that it got dirt under that "clip" thingy and that caused it. At least that was what was presented on that TV show.

If I had an older Remington I think I'd put a Timney on it just to be safe.

Picher
July 29, 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't like the new Remington 700 triggers. Most don't adjust below 3 lbs and the feel isn't as good as the older ones.

If I was afraid of having the rifle go off when the safety is pushed, I'd end up with a Timney, which never fails to impress me.

geetarman
July 29, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have a newer 700P and a much older BDL that I bought in the '70s.

I have not had any problems with either rifle and both have been shot a lot. I did have the trigger worked on for the 700P and have had no issues with it at all.

Geetarman:D