PDA

View Full Version : XD 9 or 40? what should I get??

jonesh529
July 21, 2011, 10:20 PM
Ok I think I love the xd pistols and found 2 deals on used guns at a LGS and one at a local seller. Here is the deals

Local seller (don't have a store front but is a license FFL) he has a XD 9 for $409

The LGS has 2 XD 40 priced $434 and $369.

I shot the xd9 not the 40 so I don't know if I want one or not. Which way should I go? Thoughts welcome.

cougar gt-e
July 21, 2011, 11:02 PM
Are you an experienced shooter? If not, the 9mm will be cheaper to shoot, will have a bit less recoil and that may make it less intimidating.

The .40 will be "snappier" when you shoot it and that may be a turn off for you -- it's really not noticeable to me anymore. But I do think 9's are soft shooters when I turn to them...

Don't get a macho'ed out on ft-lbs, bullet speed, mag capacity or any of that stuff. Get the gun you can shoot the most accurately with the highest degree of confidence. That will be the one for you.

Martowski
July 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
Love my XD-40, but the previous poster is correct in that it's all about caliber preference and what you're comfortable with. If you want a .40, the XD is a wonderful choice; one of the most accurate semi-auto pistols in my collection.

Mosin44az
July 22, 2011, 12:22 AM
Both the above two posts have it right in my book. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and milder in recoil, also by reputation a more accurate caliber, though for most folks that might not be noticeable.

On the other hand, the XD 40 is among the best in that caliber I've tried, very mild recoil for a .40 and not much harder-kicking than the 9mm.

TylerD45ACP
July 22, 2011, 12:37 AM
Get the 9mm It is a lot cheaper to shoot and the 9mm is comparable to a 40S&W even a 45ACP. Yes those rounds are in order least to most powerful in the order I listed but the difference is minute. 'Stopping power' in handguns is a myth and you need to place your rounds where they count. Imho, a 9mm can do that just as well as a 40. I think you will enjoy the 9mm more and it will be cheaper as well. More practice = more capable with the pistol.

jonesh529
July 22, 2011, 05:26 AM
Well i only shot a sigma 40 and Ruger 45 which two friends had but i did test the xd 9. it felt a lil more powerful than other 9mm's that i shot.

my delema is i like the xd9 but i am wrestling with the prices of the guns. the new xd9's are at the top of my budget if i buy it new from my LGS but its below if i buy it online.

there is a gun show in my town this weekend i will see what they have then go from there.

TylerD45ACP
July 22, 2011, 10:40 AM
The gun show is a good idea, check it out. You may even find something you like better. Personally I do not like XD's at all but if you do go for it.

Thump
July 22, 2011, 11:02 AM
Each month I participate in "Glock" match competition as a safety officer, registrar, and scorer, The caliber choices are probably skewed based on recoil, but my "swag" is that the percentage is ~65% 9mm, ~25% 40/10mm, and ~10% .45ACP.

The guys with the 9mm hold the lead with perfect 500 scores. (Professionals seem to lean toward the .45...) So, if hitting where you aim is an initial factor then you may want to try a 9mm.

TailGator
July 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
In addition to being cheaper to shoot and giving slightly higher capacity in the same frame, 9 mm for many people yields quicker and more accurate followup shots. And since one-stop shots are generally not considered to be reliable with handgun calibers, followup shots may matter.

Mrgunsngear
July 22, 2011, 11:06 AM
I'd say go with a 9mm. Better recoil management and the effects on a body are 'relatively' similar, especially with the +P JHP rounds. 9mm is also cheaper and is a military round, so in SHTF type situations, it'll be easier to procure.

overkill0084
July 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
Truthfully, you will probably be fine with either pistol.
The .40 will kick a little harder and the ammo is a a few more dollars per box.
If you are price sensitive, get the 9mm. The long term ammo savings will mean more than a few dollars saved at time of purchase.
Good luck at the gun show, however I suspect you won't be (positively) impressed with the gun prices.

jonesh529
July 22, 2011, 12:21 PM
Ok all sounds good. i think i will stick with the XD9 and move up to a 40 or 45 at a later time.

thanks i will give an update when i return from the gun show or during the show.

lee n. field
July 22, 2011, 05:24 PM
Ok I think I love the xd pistols and found 2 deals on used guns at a LGS and one at a local seller. Here is the deals

Local seller (don't have a store front but is a license FFL) he has a XD 9 for $409

The LGS has 2 XD 40 priced $434 and $369.

I shot the xd9 not the 40 so I don't know if I want one or not. Which way should I go? Thoughts welcome.

Pick one. Buy it. I truly don't think it matters.

.40 S&M tends to be 1.5 time the price of 9mm. People talk about how the .40 is "snappy", but (IMHO) the full size XD is plenty big enough of a gun to make that not a problem.

jonesh529
July 22, 2011, 06:05 PM
I have a added question i know the xd comes with a 10 round and 16 round mag. If you have a 10 round mag can you buy a 16 round mag for that gun?? might be a crazy question but i wasnt sure.

tahunua001
July 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
ok to answer your questions as best I can. I've shot both and they are both equally accurate, have about equal recoil and are both comfortable to shoot and handle. the only thing is that 9mm fluctuates(usually in tandem with DEM/REP presidents) and 40 usually stays pretty even even as far as pricing goes but even now where 9mm is at it's highest ever it's still cheaper than 40. that's the biggest difference I see in these choices.

also, somme states like california have weapons bans which make it illegal to have a gun with an ammo cap of more than 10 rounds where as 48 other states have no restrictions for ammo capacity and since police and civies alike demand the most rounds possible it's cheaper to make 10 round mags for the ban states and high cap mags for others than it is to make a completely different gun to cater to 2 states.

jonesh529
July 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
Well i went to the gun show and this one was not for me. It seemed more like a long gun/knife show. there wasnt alot of hand guns and the ones they had was either really old guns or over priced. some Xds was around $525 -550. so me and some friends left empty handed. i am glad i know what the local shops were selling them for. The were selling the Ruger p95's for $340+ which is way over priced.

Well my gut feeling told me to check out Sportmans Warehouse once i left the show and they had the xd without the xd gear for $430 and the one with it for $489. They are the cheapest i have seen locally and i think i am going to get my gun from there. i didnt get it today because i am waiting on a friend who has his own collection to let me know what price he can get one for me at. but i will give him a few days then i will go get it from Sportsmans.

Microgunner
July 23, 2011, 01:17 PM
I own a XD-40 and a XDm-9 and prefer the 9mm.