PDA

View Full Version : Info 1919 Ithaca 16g

boostnbuds
July 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
Any info I can get about it would be great. I just got it from my wifes grandfather and it was his fathers. The serial num says its a 1919 flues model. Its a 16 guage and has some rather cool engravings going on, so its not field grade. It is all original and matching and everything works including the safety. It is a bit tarnished and the barrel has some light rust and minor pitting clean bores.

Can anyone estimate its value? More importantly, how do I go about cleaning this thing up properly without hurting it. I dont intend to sell but I'd like to shine her up.

boostnbuds
July 19, 2011, 03:06 PM
1 more pic

Goatwhiskers
July 19, 2011, 08:25 PM
Use 3/0 or 4/0 steel wool (I often use bronze wool) with some light oil and buff the surface. It will take the light rust off without damaging the surface finish. If there are any pits this won't remove them but will probably get the rust out which is progress. I am not up to date on the particular model but it is possible that it may be chambered 2 1/2" or 2 9/16"--someone else can speak up on this---in which case you can't shoot 2 3/4" shells. Basically the gun has a reputation of being very well made. You really should get a 'smith to check it out before shooting. Goatwhiskers

Dave McC
July 20, 2011, 01:32 PM
The Flues Ithaca was well made of quality materials and good design. The New Ithaca Double which superceded it in 1926 was the first Ithaca with 2 3/4" chambers. Some older guns have had things lengthened but it will take a smith to be sure.

Once you have the smith's blessing, Polywad has 2 1/2", low pressure loads that will not stress this century old warhorse.

You may be able to get the chambers lengthened,but please eschew magnums, high pressure or Steel loads. This veteran will serve for more generations with a bit of forethought and TLC.

I'd go for conservation rather than restoration, those character marks are part of your heritage.

johnbt
July 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
Does it have a single dog pointing on each side of the receiver with the company name underneath the dog? If it does, it's a field grade. The stock checkering appears to be from a field grade. I'm not up to date on pricing, so checking gunbroker or gunsamerica might be a good place to start.