PDA

View Full Version : i don't have 10 grand laying around....

pelo801
July 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=16238191&cat=185&lpid=11&search=
like i said i don't have 10 grand laying around, but maybe you do. if you did, would you? just curious.

Chris_B
July 6, 2011, 06:26 PM
Those photos are great! ;)

ep2621
July 6, 2011, 06:28 PM
I would have to be VERY wealthy to even think about spending that kind of money on a gun.

If I were, this would more my style:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239180761

Chris_B
July 6, 2011, 06:29 PM
Those photos are great! ;)

And no, I wouldn't. Those pistols would need some serious provenance in order to be anything but customized firearms that have lost historical significance and value. I can buy near-mint examples of those for less than 10K. SS 'engravings", well from the photos they may also have the nuclear launch codes on them...and "nazi engravings"...all WW2 Germany military arms bore "nazi" proofmarks

In my opinion, based on what I see and read, this is a rip-off

Kreyzhorse
July 6, 2011, 06:43 PM
I watch a lot of History Channel. Never once did they report that the Nazi's were really pimps.

And no, those guns have no historical value.

Don Glock
July 6, 2011, 07:02 PM
the photos i saw are out of focus. makes suspicious that someone would advertise "authentic" period guns allegedly worth 10 grand, and then post blurry pics.....

i would have to see better pics, and a letter of provenance before even considering the purchase.

Get R Done Guns
July 6, 2011, 09:00 PM
No, they are way over priced. Being from Utah we know KSL very well. People are making basically uneducated guesses about what they are worth. I would highly doubt that a real appraiser would give them 10K worth of value. JMO

KyJim
July 6, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm not a collector of these type guns but I'm sure those don't have the original finish or original grips. Collector value goes pretty much out the window. The guy is trying to market flash and glitz and not guns.

skoro
July 6, 2011, 10:29 PM
1. If I was buying outrageously overpriced pistols, clear, in-focus photos would be a must.

2. What the heck is up with those grips?

I have a WW1 DWM P08 Luger, and it's all stock. I wouldn't trade it for all three of those things.

larryf1952
July 7, 2011, 01:15 AM
$10K worth of guns (?) and horrendously lit, out of focus pics from an apparent $49 cellphone? I'm betting that he wants $10K out of those guns so that he can buy a decent camera and enroll in a 2 year photography program at his local vocational college.

youngunz4life
July 7, 2011, 01:58 AM
and that is why I would want to do more research. why are they only 10grand?

anyways, I don't have the 10grand lying around for it to make a difference anyways

dajowi
July 7, 2011, 09:28 AM
$10,000 - no way.
Simpson Ltd. has a SAUER MOD 38H - Inv. # C7677 for $8,950.00. And this guy has four "unique" pistols?????

As for the Singer pistol, an offer of $100,000 has already been refused and now he's auctioning if off for $57,000 - SOMETHING'S WRONG.

NJgunowner
July 7, 2011, 10:10 AM
Collectors want original finish, end of story.

Winchester_73
July 7, 2011, 10:15 AM
The big thing here is that these are almost surely post war custom jobs even though they are war time guns. If they were actually Nazi presentation arms, it would be a steal, which goes back to the price. They are priced as unique custom handguns at $2500 each. A nazi presentation gun is worth much more than $2500. Usually the nazis nickel or gold plated their guns without accents. They also engraved their guns by the best artisans in Germany. The quality of their engraving is pretty much second to none.

Since they are custom made, (Im 99% sure) there is no way to assess value and its also not the "1 of a kind" in a positive light. These are shaky investments at best, even for half the money I would personally pass.

Also, these guns are actually ugly IMO compared to say one of Himmlers, or Goerings or Hitlers pistols. Check out from either amoskeag or RIA the presentation grade guns. They are beautiful works of arts compared to this garbage that this ignorant dishonest seller is peddling.

markj
July 7, 2011, 02:17 PM
It would be a waste of 10 grand. Them guns are not worth as much as he thinks but hey as one man said, there is a fool born every second.

BigJimP
July 7, 2011, 02:54 PM
No, they're not worth anywhere near that much money ....and maybe next to nothing ...since they've been so highly modified. Nazi era ...I doub it very much .../ and I don't want anything with a Nazi provenance anyway ...

it isn't spending the $ 10K that's the issue ....I'll spend that for the right guns in a heartbeat ...if they're right....

Jim Watson
July 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
Looks pretty hokey to me.

A line of speculation that occurs to me is that after the war our troops in the Occupation picked up a lot of souvenirs from Germans being disarmed, both military and civilian. Gun control in action.
There were also a lot of Germans out of work in the depression following the war. Including gunsmiths and engravers. You could probably get a confiscated gun nicely engraved for not too much in Yankee greenbacks or even in food, liquor, cigarettes, stockings, etc. I have seen several that I was pretty sure got dressed up that way. These might be some more.

The blue and gold treatment might have been done after the owner got home. There was a shop in my home town that specialized in high polish blue with nickel and gold plated accents. I saw guns there that looked much like these except not engraved. But like I said, that could have been done cheaply in Europe.

IdahoG36
July 7, 2011, 05:17 PM
As for the Singer pistol, an offer of $100,000 has already been refused and now he's auctioning if off for $57,000 - SOMETHING'S WRONG.

I thought the same thing, but upon further inspection, his reserve has not been met at $57K. I would bet that the reserve is over $100K.

That truly is a one of a kind. Singer 1911s are rare, we all know that, and to see one in that good of shape and that low of a serial number, makes it quite the collector item indeed.

Now if I just had $120K burning a hole in my pocket..............:cool:

IdahoG36
July 7, 2011, 05:23 PM
Forgot to add:D

As for the 4 guns in the original post, you have roughly $3K-$4K worth of pistols (in original condition) that have been "pimped up" to $10K.

While they retain historical significance and monetary value in original condition, these 4 German pistols have unfortunately been completely ruined. They are hideous looking, and their historical and monetary value are gone. Nice job geniuses.

I absolutely HATE to see this happen to older firearms. WWII era 1911s and German pistols seem to see this the most. Once they have been modified like this, there is no going back. They are ruined.

Yung.gunr
July 7, 2011, 05:42 PM
Even if I were a billionaire I would not buy those. I don't care about any historical value (real or in this case likely fake). I don't want any Nazi crap in my house. Give me some WWII authentic stuff from one of the Allies and I could see buying that. Shoot even reproduction stuff would catch my eye.

youngunz4life
July 7, 2011, 07:22 PM
$10,000 - no way.
Simpson Ltd. has a SAUER MOD 38H - Inv. # C7677 for $8,950.00. And this guy has four "unique" pistols?????

That's what I was thinking. Something just isn't adding up here! If he truly had something, I think they would be more than 10grand...but I am not an expert. I am very skeptical though

lee n. field
July 7, 2011, 08:35 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...pid=11&search=
like i said i don't have 10 grand laying around, but maybe you do. if you did, would you? just curious.

Gaudy, flashy.

Those things better have a lot of "provenance". Documentation.

ALL ARE VERY UNIQUE, ALL HAVE GOLD PLATING, ALL THE SAME BLUEING, ALL HAVE SS AND OTHER NAZI ENGRAVING IN THEM. EXTREMELY UNIQUE, IF YOU ARE A COLLECTOR THESE ARE A MUST FOR A COLLECTION, ALL ARE LIKE BRAND NEW, A MUST SEE IN PERSON!!!

I notice he doesn't say they are actual Nazi pieces, or that the finish work dates to that time and place.

markj
July 8, 2011, 02:47 PM
A guy I know has a authentic german officers sword, Has a tiny emblem on the handle is only thing that shows it was nazi. Another guy I know (both are marines) has a jap sword taken from a jap he killed and then took the sword and his guns. Dont look anything like the ones in the movies.

No gold or engraving on either.

Chris_B
July 8, 2011, 09:06 PM
I think we can all appreciate that Mark

However, a sword is not a pistol. I can verify that there are, for instance, special codes and nazi proofs on German pistols made during WWII. Even other country's arms that the Germans captured often got some form of stamp such as a 'waffenamt'. A small stamp on a sword does not unfortunately dictate what was on firearms such as P.08s and P.38s. It is also true that- although I in no way at all believe this to be the case with the firearms in question in this thread- that certain German pistols were engraved for famous owners

But likewise, although I have no reason to question the men you know who own the items you mention, these men did not see every sword, rifle, or pistol that was ever captured or made. General Homma undoubtedly carried a more elaborate blade than most of his junior officers, for instance, and that staff certainly had more embellished blades than their men. What I mean to say is that the weapons these men have lack embellishment, but that only proves that those particular weapons were never embellished. It would be difficult to imagine that the norm was an engraved weapon, but certainly they did exist; they were just rarely encountered

In regards to the weapons that are the topic of this thread, as I've said before and as others have mentioned- almost certainly a pant-load of a phony story. It's too bad that skilled craftsmanship went into de-valuing those firearms. Sort of like spending a quarter to buy a dime

I'd love to see photos of the captured weapons, if you have a chance to talk to these men and have a camera with you. I've managed to collect a few things from WWI and WWII and it fascinates me that I can hold that history in my hands. In fact my Colt 1911 from WWI got compliments for condition and accuracy today at the range, but that's another story :)

orionengnr
July 8, 2011, 11:06 PM
Nope.

No matter how much money I had, I could find something else to spend it on.

Home in Hawaii--check.
Ferrari--check.
40' yacht--check.
Restored P-51--check.

Home in Florida Keys--check.
Tesla--check.
50' yacht--check.
Restored A4 Skyhawk--check.

Home in Australia--check.
Second Ferrari--check.
63' yacht--check.
Restored F4 Phantom--check.

Home in Switzerland--check.
McLaren--check.
Restored F-16--check.

And so on... :)

gyvel
July 9, 2011, 01:21 AM
Well, nobody has stated the obvious that, one of those pistols, the Walther Model 4, is a WW I vintage arm.

Having said that, I'm sure that there are some Cubans living in Miami that might be interested in these.

Chris_B
July 9, 2011, 06:16 AM
:) Playing devil's advocate here, but just because the pistol was made before WWII, that doesn't mean it couldn't be a nazi presentation piece. The US took WWI vintage M1911s, arsenal refinished them, and issued them for WWII

TheNocturnus
July 9, 2011, 12:32 PM
Wow! All that for only 10k! Now if I could just remember which pair of socks I stuffed my chump change in. :)

Get R Done Guns
July 10, 2011, 12:01 AM
Guess the guy had them appraised!!!!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=16238191&cat=185&lpid=11&search=

NOW YOU NEED $25,000!!! :D

youngunz4life
July 10, 2011, 12:14 AM
what a joke...unless this guy actually cashes in!! starnger things ahve happened - they just don't look like relics

gyvel
July 12, 2011, 01:43 AM
His ad says "obo". Offer the guy $139.00.

markj
July 12, 2011, 03:34 PM
if you have a chance to talk to these men and have a camera

Marlin the guy has a jap sword lives close to me I can visit and take a pic. He also has some ww2 guns in his collection. And a signed letter from pres nixon for his service to our country :) he did something special I think but have never been told what. He did White House detail after his Nam service, drove a limo etc. The german sword was owned by a ww2 vet that has passed away, before he passed he sold me a winchester 30-30 for 50.00 was like new, his son got upset and wanted it back but Old Man Strong told him I was over to his house way more than the son sooo. Never did know what happened to his collection, he had some very interesting war stuff. He was a sniper had some holes put into his body in the jungles. I do miss that man, to take a 6 pack over and just sit and listen to him tell how it was. Shoulda had a tape recorder....

kozak6
July 13, 2011, 01:17 AM
Interesting pistols. Most pimps don't have an interest in Nazi firearms.

There's so many more fun ways to burn through $25,000.

micksis86
July 13, 2011, 04:50 AM
I'm curious about the guy selling the singer 1911. If he's been offered 100k for it why did he refuse and sell it for 57k....doesn't really add up to me.

micksis86
July 13, 2011, 07:22 AM
Double post.

chasep255
July 13, 2011, 09:32 AM
If I had that much money I would buy a machine gun. Just hope at that point that I live in a different state.

Get R Done Guns
July 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
The singer did not sell. He wants more than 100k for it. The last reserve was not met at 57,000. Never saw the hundred grand bid but I would be begging for that guy to come back if I were him.