PDA

View Full Version : Velo Dog?

cousnit
April 29, 2000, 12:50 PM
My uncle purchased a gun that looks exactly like a Velo Dog. It is a .32 cal, 5 shot, factory engraved, and we believe the seriel # is 12. It has 12 engraved on every removable part (cylinder, cylinder clip, trigger, etc.) the number 12 LD is on the inside of the grips. The grips are hard black rubber and say "colt". It has a 1 5/8" barrel with 9 flower like designs on the top and a folding trigger. I was told it might be a Colt New Line? Is there anyplace I can find a picture of the Colt New Line? And is there anyone who can tell me what this gun might be worth? Thank you for your time, knowledge, and help!

------------------
Connie

James K
April 29, 2000, 05:48 PM
The Colt New Line has a spur trigger, not a folding trigger, and "bird's head" grips. The barrels were 4" and 2 1/4" (measured from muzzle to end of barrel, not to frame). There is a deep loading groove in the right side of the frame behind the cylinder. There is no loading gate or ejector rod.

Serial numbers everywhere are not characteristic of Colt New Lines, and Colt engravers never removed the factory markings, so a .32 New Line barrel should show the normal Colts Pt. F.A. Mfg. Co., Hartford address.

I suspect that you have a Belgian revolver, possibly chambered for the .32 ACP (are there recesses around the edge of the chambers for the rims?). Many Belgian revolvers had markings that were intended to deceive buyers into thinking that the guns were the products of top U.S. or English companies. I suspect the numbers are assembly numbers, not serial numbers, and this would also indicate Belgian manufacture.
If you see a proof mark that is an oval with the letters "E L G" that would be definite indication of Belgian manufacture.

Pending more information that is about all I can give you. Look the gun over thoroughly, and try to determine the cartridge it uses. I assume it is center fire, but some New Line Colts and other guns of the type were made for .32 RF. The .32's fired the .32 Colt, not .32 S&W or .32 ACP.

Jim

cousnit
May 2, 2000, 10:13 AM
The gun does have the letters E L G on it and it is a center fire. Does that help any? Thank you!

[This message has been edited by cousnit (edited May 02, 2000).]

James K
May 2, 2000, 01:47 PM
Hi, Cousnit,

The "E L G" (Liege) Belgian proof mark proves absolutely that it is not a Colt New Line, and that it was made in Belgium.

Those little Belgian revolvers were made by the ton around 80-90 years ago in .22, 5.5mm Velo Dog, .25 ACP and .32, mostly .32 ACP. The reason for chambering for the auto cartridges is that these were far more common in Europe than equivalent revolver cratridges.

Engraving was common and cost little or nothing over the basic gun. Those guns sold here for $5 or so. There is a mild collector interest, mainly because of the variety (no two seem to be exactly alike) and because a large collection can be built cheaply. Value is low - $50 or so. Most collector guides and value books don't even list them.

Jim

cousnit
May 2, 2000, 04:24 PM
Thank you so much for your time and knowledge. My uncle and I really appreciate it!

------------------
Connie