PDA

View Full Version : High Standard/ JC higgins 12 gauge issue

BrittB
July 2, 2011, 07:38 PM
I picked up a High Standard Model 200 for $50 last week. Why so cheap? It seems that the trigger block has two tabs at the front that hook into the receiver and they were both broken off. I was able to pull the one out of my JC Higgins Model 20 and it goes right in. The shotgun seems to work really good after a teardown and cleanup. The bore in the barrel looks like new too! Does anyone have or know were to find a trigger block for this model gun?

I'm really starting to like these guns and I can see myself getting more of them in the future.

Lee Lapin
July 2, 2011, 07:44 PM
IIRC the trigger plate is aluminum, there are shops out there that can weld aluminum these days. One option might be to get some metal built up on the corners and reshape the tabs that hold the front of the trigger plate in place. JBWeld might work as well for this purpose, I don't know - let it set up and then shape it properly with files.

Or it might be possible for a good fabricator to drill recesses into the trigger plate in the correct location and set in short steel studs to replace the broken-off tabs. If you have another trigger plate to serve as an example, that would help in either case above.

There are some parts out there for the High Standards, check with Numrich, Jack First, look on GunBroker etc. But I'd try fixing the original first.

Good luck,

lpl

BrittB
July 2, 2011, 09:16 PM
I think the small size may make the welding plan a wash but the steel replacement tangs may have merit. I would have to mill slots to set the steel tangs into the body and maybe use roll pins to hold them in place. The other possiblity is to drill holes through the side of the reciever and dimples in the the trigger block. Then tap the holes on the reciever and use pointed set screws to hold the front in place. They would have to be small, maybe 6-32.

That's all I can figure out at this point. I hate to drill holes in the reciever though. I wish I could find one or two that was broken and try out the milled slot plan. A trigger block in good shape would make this all go away!:D

BrittB
July 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
Well, I figured it out. I found the the trigger block from my JC Higgins dropped right into my High Standard without any trouble so Decided to use the Higgins as my test unit. I ended up drilling and tapping the Higgins receiver for set screws and putting divits in the trigger block. That seems to have done the trick plus it looks like how High Standard did their Model 21, 20 gauge shotgun. Man I like working on these models of shotguns!

gyvel
July 8, 2011, 07:34 AM
Well, I guess it's a moot point now, but Numrich does have trigger guards for the princely sum of $59.30.

Daddy4
November 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
I have a higgins 20-12 with the same problem. Do you have any pictures of the fixed trigger and receiver. I will have to do this to mine too.

Thanks

BrittB
November 27, 2011, 10:11 PM
I don't but since this was written, I've the seen parts on Gun Broker.

Daddy4
December 17, 2011, 01:38 AM
What size/shape ....does it have a special name...type of screw did you use. I picked up a couple of screws from a neighbor he thought they would be perfect. I think I will try to JB weld one side first just to keep the trigger group in the perfect spot while I drill. How deep into the trigger block should I drill? Is a 16th" enough? The screws I have are about 1/4" long and a #8 I think??

Thanks