PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase RR AR

Coach Z
June 26, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'm looking to purchase my first black rifle and I've settled on the Rock River Tactical operator series in 5.56. It comes with an eotech mount and buis out the door for 1K. I'm looking for people's experience with Rock River.

Thanks

wnycollector
June 27, 2011, 06:34 AM
I have a RRA ATH that is VERY accurate and reliable. With Black hills 68gr MHP it will shoot 3/4" groups all day long. Check out PK firarms, they sell LOTS of RRA rifles at prices significantly lower that the RRA website.

Technosavant
June 27, 2011, 10:10 AM
RRA is generally quite competent. You should be pleased with it.

Tim R
June 27, 2011, 04:59 PM
I know a few fellow High power shooters with RRA National Match or sometimes called a "DCM" rifle. The RRA's have donw well for an out of the box match rifle. I know this is apples and peaches for what you have, but It gives an idea RRA's are good rifles from what I've seen. I used RRA lowers on my White Oak uppers.

Coach Z
June 27, 2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys! I had fears of this turning into Brand X vs Y fight but it's been all positive. Put my order in and now I just have to stare at this eotech on the shelf for 60-90 days. Good news is I'm leaving the country for over a month so that'll help to pass the time.

KChen986
June 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
I like RRA. I've owned 2 of their products, but sold off my AR15 (first AR ever.)

They're generally solid, but I've had 2 complaints:

1.) For a battle/combat rifle, the heavy barrel in their "1 MOA guaranteed" guns tends to make their ARs front heavy. I'm not sure if your model includes a HBAR.

2.) I've had hammer-pin walk from 2 out of 2 RRA rifles equipped with their 2-stage national match triggers. I had to purchase KNS-anti-rotation pins in the .155 diameter ($30) to rectify it.

precision_shooter
June 28, 2011, 08:07 AM
I love my Tactical Operator II!

It wears a Vortex 2-7x32 scope now for longer range hog shooting. I eventually plan to buy another upper and have different sights on each...

This is my 2nd RRA rifle and I haven't had a single problem out of either of them!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64301&d=1289007265

shrewd
June 28, 2011, 11:43 AM
are rock river guns chrome lined in the bore and barrel?

precision_shooter
June 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
are rock river guns chrome lined in the bore and barrel?

You can get them with chrome lined barrels, but their standard barrels are not lined.

Unless you are going to be shooting thousands of rounds in a matter of days, the chrome lining is not really needed imo...

macsr01
June 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
I bought the Elite UTE2 - Fixed rear sight - No carry handle and a short rail just forward of the rear sigh should you want an Optic. Carry it on duty every day.
One of the best AR's I've ever owned.

Coach Z
September 10, 2011, 07:35 AM
Got a call yesterday afternoon from my LGS that it came in! fit and finish look great and looking forward to a range trip this afternoon.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc209/dvabow/IMG_1357.jpg

southwind
September 10, 2011, 09:17 AM
I have worked with and shot several different RR's and they are well made. They do make a very good DCM rifle ready to go. My brother in law just bought the A4 LR308 and I was impressed with the rifle in fit, finish, function and performance.

chadio
September 10, 2011, 01:15 PM
I think Rock River Arms is a perfect balance of cost / quality / customer service / available options that few rifle companies can compare. Best of luck on your AR purchase :D ( I personally have a thing for LMT, Noveske, and LaRue.. but the cost of admission is a bit more).

RC20
September 10, 2011, 03:13 PM
Agreed on the RRA. I bought an ATH (16 inch by request so it was handier and where I live 100 yard shooting is about max).

3/4 MOA guarantee in that series (Predator, Coyote Purusit and ATH with Stainless steel barrels)

The quality is very good. The fit is very good. The finish is fine, and no issues.

With non match ammo I am shooting sub MOA groups sans a lead sled.

I got the chrome plated bolt carrier group, and the chrome two stage match trigger.

Only issue so far was the gas block up front was not tightened down. Took a bit to figure out what was going on, slam dunk to tighten up (odd to have that happen on a quality gun).

Per a lot of comments I checked the staking on the gas key first thing.

Per the pictures, one side was perfectly done. The other side of the screws was good. Combined totally a non issue.

zeke
September 11, 2011, 09:04 PM
Another very pleased ATH owner. Extremely accurate with handloads.

Coach Z
September 30, 2011, 02:24 AM
So I took it to the range yesterday with a pile of ammo and went to town ZERO malfunctions, really digging this gun.

I shot 1,000 rounds through it in one sitting!

350 rds American eagle

150 rds Lake City 855

500 rds Herter's steel case.

Anyone looking ro an ar should really have a look at the current offerings from RR

wnycollector
October 1, 2011, 01:21 PM
The two most reliable AR's I own are a BCM 14.5 middy and my RRA ATH. Both will eat any ammo that I load in their mags, run dirty and keep shooting.

boostedtt91
October 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
i just picked up a rock river arms 24" SS varmint a4 upper 5.56/2.23 and so far im very happy with it. Its probably more accurate than my results are, as my factory bushmaster trigger isn't the best for precision shooting

BoomieMCT
October 5, 2011, 08:18 PM
I've had a RR 16" Varmiter for a few years now. It is a super accurate gun. My only complaint is I wish I got the 18" one.

Eghad
October 5, 2011, 08:26 PM
Looks like a nice rifle. Lack of chrome lining is not a show stopper on a AR-15.

GONIF
October 5, 2011, 08:39 PM
Chrome lined barrel and chamber is much better for flawless function and long life . RRA is just ok ,there are better rifles at the same price. check out the Spikes Tactical Ar at www.aimsurplus.com
it is $769.99 and Mil spec barrel and steel . If it is out of stock ,click the notify me when back in stock .You will not beat this rifle for quality or price ,head and sholders above the RRa .:D

•Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hard coat Anodized finish, T-markings, Spike’s logo and M4 feed ramps.
•Barrel is certified MIL-B-11595E CMV, M4 barrel extension, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel, Phosphate finish.
•Government Contour barrel with mid-length gas system.
•Barrel is Phosphate finished under the .750" F marked A2 front sight base.
•The M16 carriers are Chrome lined with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish.
•Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.
•HP/MP Tested Bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.
•A2 Flash Hider.
•Includes ST-T2 buffer.

Included
•Detachable Mil-Spec Forged A2 Carry Handle
•Magpul 30rd P-Mag

CPTMurdoc30
October 5, 2011, 09:41 PM
I spent $900 + transfer for my RRA predator Pursuit Rifle. That sucker out shoots my Remington 700 VLS any day of the week. My RRA has a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50mm and my remmy wears a Nikon Monarch USS 6.5-20x42mm.

I am so happy with mine I want another in 6.8 spc and 458 for deer hunting.

A few RRA pics.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/AR-15/DSC_0044.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/AR-15/DSC_0051.jpg

First group after sighting it in. This is with a 60gr V-Max 25gr H4895 Wolf SRM primer in REM cases. The first time I took it ground hog hunting i went 5-0 with the longest one shot kill was 450 yards. Shortest was 225 yards.

So better for the price not in my eyes. YMMV.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/AR-15/AR-15group.png