PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on SD tactics

markj
June 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
I was talking to my cousin last night, his trial is now over and the guy shot him twice with a 357 is going to the pen for 72 years.

http://www.ketv.com/news/23317453/detail.html

Original story there. He said the guy shot him was trying to get him to call someone but didnt know the numbers, he went to pick up some car mats on the porch when the guy pulled a gun and shot him. 2 other guys were there as well but were there earlier looking at some car rims he had for sale. One hit the pelvis tore the artery there he just about bled out there.

So we compared scars, his are bigger and worse than mine. I was thinking that the only way he could have avoided this was to be wearing a vest of some sort.

How would some of you done to prevent this type of event?

Dwight55
June 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
If it happened at my place, . . . 11:45 PM, . . . I would have been armed answering the door.

At least I would have been able to return fire, . . .

Those kind of situations are so iffy with wanting to be a good neighbor weighing against not wanting to become some sort of victim. You just have to take each one as it plays, . . . and I would certainly be suspicious of anyone out in my neck of the woods, . . . "broke down" at that time of night.

May God bless,
Dwight

threegun
June 22, 2011, 04:22 PM
If I'm outside, no matter the time of day or night, I am armed. I would smoke in my yard. If someone attempts to enter my yard I would ask them to stop and or leave. If they continue to close on me I would pull my firearm and ask again and also ask a family member to call police. If the advance continued I would prepare to fire and warn of my intentions if my demands are not met. If no safe retreat was or is possible at this point or earlier then I would be forced to fire.

Again I would try to make safe retreat back into the house if the stranger refused my demands but given the distances in my yard this would be unlikely.

C0untZer0
June 22, 2011, 04:38 PM
It's a tough one.

When he asked for a drink or to use the phone, I might have said "wait here, I'll get you a drink" And walked inside and shut the door. Then I would have called the police.

On the other hand... I've been in situations where I have been approached by people - mostly asking for money, and I haven't done that. Whenever someone approaches me like that I get tense and feel threatened. I have had a few times where bums were persistent and aggresive and I go from 1 to 10 on the hosility meter myself.

threegun
June 22, 2011, 04:55 PM
A friend once suggested that when a bum or other worrisome stranger approaches, making me uneasy or otherwise concerned for my safety, simply tell them "stop thats close enough". If they continue followup with a very loud "don't rob me I don't have any money". The times I have used this have been successful.

You keep a safe distance and force them to announce intent sooner.

Seaman
June 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
Very scary. Wow.

Often sit on the porch late at night, but am CC armed.

Have had similar approaches but they have been friendly and peaceful.

Would tell the guy that I would call a tow truck (or 911 or whatever) for him.

Don't think I'd have the time (or smarts) to verbalize a "STOP GET BACK!" order. I mean its a nice neighborhood.

If I saw the guy going for a gun I would just draw and fire.

In future, will have my gun in hand surreptitiously behind my hip, better than in an IWB.

Good to hear your cousin survived OK.

Tough call.

NWPilgrim
June 22, 2011, 06:57 PM
The father had the correct instincts. He was immediately suspicious and retrieved a .22LR rifle while his son was talking, and warned his son to tell the guy to leave.

I do not give the time of day to any stranger coming up to my yard or door unless they need immediate medical or police call (hasn't happen yet). Anyone coming to my cul de sac house that I do not know has proven to be soliciting or running a scam. An honest person would keep their distance, identify themselves and be polite in stating why they are on my property. I have never had a person asking me to use the phone or have a drink of water.

"I don't understand how somebody just walks up to your door at 11:45 at night, and all of the sudden there's a gun war," said Hall's uncle, Bill Hall. "It's beyond me."

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/23317453/detail.html#ixzz1Q3H3I2zm

The uncle is a bit more clueless. Why would ANYBODY honest walk up to a stranger's house in the suburbs at near MIDNIGHT and ask for car help and a drink of water. Cell phone? Walk to phone?

Anybody coming to my house at midnight that I do not know is going to get 5 sec. to explain themselves, at a distance, and I will be armed. I feel no obligation to open my door if I don't feel like. If he keeps pounding I am calling the police.

ranburr
June 22, 2011, 10:48 PM
I had almost the same scenario, minus me being shot. I was getting ready to shot him when my BAD (big ass dog) intervened and took care of the situation

JustThisGuy
June 23, 2011, 12:04 AM
Smoking kills.

markj
June 23, 2011, 02:52 PM
We spoke for a long time, he said after he was shot, he felt he had to keep his eyes closed so he wouldnt see the panic in their eyes. He said he had a need to calm down and reduce his heart beat. Things he never thought of before. I think it was some form of self survival. He told me he was actually shot in the abdomen 3 times wit hthe 357 and one 22 hit his hand as he went down. A 22 round travelled across the street hitting a house, went thru the siding, wood, a wall thru a closet and all the cloths in the closet. Insurance company had to pay for all them cloths. Sometjhing to think about. The shooter was from Sudan, a refugee here.

The defensive lawyer tried to make it sem like my cous stole the rims and advertised em on clist, them fellars was just tru=ying to get their rims back :( which was proven a lie with reciepts for the rims).

I would have been armed answering the door

He was outside having a smoke, no knock on the door at all. Guy wanted a drink of alchohol not water, he smelled of booze real bad I was told.

2 others still await sentancing. I bet they crapped when they saw the shooter get 72 years. Their lawyer alluded to a 20 year sentance.... Judge said he (my cous) survived this by his will power alone so he gave him high times to be served one after the other so no paroll for that guy.

Bryan is jumpy now, he doesnt go out much, he healed almost 100% too.

3 times with a 357, guess it isnt the end all, I am so glad of that.

We couldnt talk about this until the guy was done with court. Seemed to be best practise anyway. Glad it is over.

Be safe, it could happen to anyone at any time I belive. Tragic way to have to live life..

NWPilgrim
June 23, 2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the added details. Really glad your friend survived, what a will! Good to hear there are still some commonsense judges on the bench.

Looks like there is no fence around the yard so the stranger could just stroll up to chat him up. That is typical of suburbs in the Pacific NW as well. When I was visiting in one of the LA suburban areas I noticed that virtually every residential building had a brick/adobe wall or steel fence around the yard and a gate across the driveway. When you look around the world most countries have traditional architecture that does not give easy access to private property as we do. Enclosed patio/garden, perimeter walls, outer gates or doors, etc. (Moats, clear fields of fire, high ground! :eek: )

DAS9mm
June 23, 2011, 07:08 PM
It sounds like he was ambushed, probably nothing he could do. If he was carrying he would most likely still have been shot. Sitting here second guessing what he could of or should of is "blaming the victim."

Guns are not magic talismans. Most people do not carry guns. Most people (99.99%) are not threats. I do meet people who are suspicious of everybody they meet, typically they are paranoid schizophrenics. Most concealable vests do not cover the pelvis. Military vests do cover the pelvis, but who is going to wear Interceptor body armor at home, I mean really? Your cousin was ambushed. I'm glad he survived, and with time and counseling, maybe he won't see the panic anymore.

markj
June 24, 2011, 03:15 PM
I can say after the shooting my thoughts on self defense changed. I now use lights, dogs and other things to alert me of anyone coming onto my place. Before I had the thoughts it would never happen to me. Now I think it will happen when I least expect it so Iexpect it all the time. Got a ccw gun, re permitted etc.

BfloBill
June 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
The simple fact of the matter is that it's hard to find the balance between paranoia and preparedness.

Glad your cousin is OK, according an officer I know who was involved in a shooting counseling helps.

threegun
June 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
I do meet people who are suspicious of everybody they meet, typically they are paranoid schizophrenics.

You haven't met me yet but I am suspicious of almost everybody and definitely not paranoid or schizophrenic. Prepared is not paranoid.

Beowulf5505
June 26, 2011, 03:35 PM
I think I also would have been carrying going to the door (if I was back at my hometown, cant carry here :mad:). From there it would have been about how it felt talking to the guy. people dont usually go from straight normal talking to shooting you. If it started to feel wrong i would have backed in to the house, that way you send the signal that you dont want to talk and you can also put the door between you if necessary.

then i would have asked out that reporter... she looks hot!

markj
June 27, 2011, 04:24 PM
then i would have asked out that reporter... she looks hot!

:) I will ask Bryan why he didnt ask her out :)