PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Llama MiniMax 45

NHagar
June 21, 2011, 03:27 PM
So I have never owned or know anyone that has shot or owned a Llama gun before. I found a MiniMax 45 compact for sale. I am looking for a gun I can keep under my seat in the truck or when I feel like shooting pull it out and empty the clip. going to use it as a little plinking gun pretty much. yes sounds redneck but I am that. lol. And yes I do have other pistols this won't be my first. guy is asking 350 for it what do you guys think? Are they a decent gun? I know it won't be of quality like a Smith, kimber, or Springfield. But Like I said just a gun that will likely be punished and don't want to do it to my pretty full size 1911. thanks

AJD21
June 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
For $350 I would suggest either finding a quality surplus or police trade in or a used "name brand" handgun.

For that price or close to it you could find a Glock, M&P, Beretta, etc. on the used market.

Or for less you could have a surplus Makarov, Walther P1, CZ-82, CZ-75, etc.

All would be better choices in my view than a Llama.

NHagar
June 21, 2011, 03:46 PM
well I don't want a glock or any other polymer gun. just not a fan. I know there are probably 30 better models to get. Like I said I have never shot or heard of anyone shooting a Llama so I have no idea on reliability of it. It is a private party gun so no tax and also It is 350 OBO which means to me he plans on taking less for it. this gun isn't going to be for protection as I have many other guns I would grab if needed. it is going to be in the truck or Tractor box when feeding animals and the occasional shooting at the coyotes when I drive up on one when feeding cows. Like I said just a gun to just shoot for fun with no real intention of being a target shooter. Besides I am an addict and just looking for one person to say go for it if you can get the price a little better lol.

KyJim
June 21, 2011, 06:53 PM
I haven't owned a Llama but they do have a reputation for have steel that's a bit soft so you would want to check that and keep an eye out for it if you buy it. Look for cracks in slide/frame, peening around slide stop notch, and any other unusual looking wear.

T. O'Heir
June 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
"..."name brand" handgun..." Llama is a name brand. Just a low end pistol. Llama has been gone for years. It'd be unlikely to find original mags for it.
$350 isn't an ugly price. Personally, I wouldn't touch one.

AJD21
June 21, 2011, 07:45 PM
"name brand" implies that its well known or a quality product or both. Llama is neither.

psyfly
June 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
I used to own one of those.

I sold it a long time ago.

It worked flawlessly and was accurate enough, I guess, for a 3" bbl.

I had a friend who described it to another friend as "...a fairly reliable, fairly accurate and easily concealed pistol with the fit and finish of a Chinese crowbar..."

If you want it for a truck gun, go for it. $ 350.00 seems a little pricey, though.

I found that parts are not easily interchangeable with other 1911s and are difficult to find in any case.

Best,

Will

Rugerismisticness
June 21, 2011, 08:23 PM
Back out of it and go for a S&W 3rd gen

GURU1911
June 21, 2011, 09:45 PM
Production for llama pistols & replacement parts ceased in 1987. Replacement parts are hard to find & generally scarce. I would advise you to say "no thanks" to purchasing that brand of pistol.

Guru1911

rodent.22
June 21, 2011, 11:57 PM
I own 3 LLama .45 autos, a IXA fullsize, a Commander size, and a Minimax doublestack 10 round. I bought the first around 1991, the other two by '95. I have put hundreds of rounds thru these pistols With ONE breakage. I was cleaning the Commander sized one and hit the slide stop. When the slide slammed forward on an empty mag it broke the slide stop. LLama replaced it under warranty. The two 7 round single-stack pistols interchange with Colt mags no problem. The grip panel screw holes do NOT line up with any standard 1911 grip. I've heard the scare stories about LLama's soft steel. I have found just the OPPOSITE to be true. These pistols look good and perform well. NO unusual wear whatsoever. The only regret I have is that I didn't buy the full-sized 12 round double stack LLama I looked at in the early 90's. These are serviceable arms, not so fancy that you are afraid to carry or shoot them. And mine shoot well, quite reliable.:D My 3 pistols have 90's production codes. I've seen them priced up to $450.00. If it's clean and functions well the $350.00 is not outrageous.

Stonefly_Soldier
June 22, 2011, 02:38 AM
Llama was around into the early 90's and they produced some good stuff and some not so good stuff... If you want a redneck under seat gun thats what a ruger P90 is for! Great guns and you should easily get one for 350 if not less than 300... My local shop usually puts them in the 275 range. The mini max 45s around here go for just over 240.
I will say that I did pick up a Llama m87 and its been great but that is based on their beretta clone.

ranburr
June 22, 2011, 05:13 AM
Junk. Worth about $200 max.

Que
June 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
$200 to $250 max, if at all. Lots of sharp edges.

Forget about it.

carguychris
June 22, 2011, 11:27 AM
Back out of it and go for a S&W 3rd gen
+1; FYI the 3rd-gen S&W DA/SA automatics (called "Traditional Double Action" or "TDA" in S&W-speak) normally have 4-digit model numbers, and also include several "Value Series" models- the 908, 909, 910, 915, and 410.

These guns are incredibly tough and reliable, and are available for a song due to abundant police surplus. They should be readily available under your price cap, especially if you're willing to accept a DAO gun, which are somewhat unloved and generally carry price tags $20-$40 less than the equivalent DA/SA version.

plateshooter
June 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
I usually don't post negative reviews but I will chime in on this one. I bought one new a few years back, and it was the worst pistol I have ever owned. It would not feed anything reliably that I tried. When it did work, it would throw brass directly at your eyeballs, or over your head. I wasted way too much time and ammo trying to get that thing to run. Maybe I got the only lemon Llama built, but I myself would run away from them. They look nice but that is about the only positive thing I can say about the one I had.

Rodger_p
June 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
I bought one a few years ago. Not a good experience.

There are much better choices for that kind of money.

-Rodger

Fred Garvin
June 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
Don't buy it. For sale in MO

michael t
June 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
Llama closed doors for last time in 2005 . $ 350 way to much Thats about what sold for brand new with tax. 225 tops My mini max was crap. Extractor broke 2 times in less than a 1000 rounds. Plunger tube screwed on that broke also. Jammed at least 1 time every mag. ball hp didn't matter .

Remember parts are almost impossible to find . Some 1911 parts will fit .

The Mini Max is a copy of the Para Ord P-10 model before the warthog.

I would pass on this . You could buy a Bersa in 9 or 45 for about that price new with a lifetime warranty.

nefprotector
June 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
I once had a Llama Mini Max .45 acp. It would Rust like an Old Chevy Truck, hit low about 1 ft @ 7yards. But other than that It was reliable. Aim HIGH!

bobofthedesert
May 15, 2012, 12:10 AM
Old thread I know but valuable in that I was casting around and found a Mini-Max in .38 Super, so needed to know more, googl'ed and found this thread. I will not be buying it....Thanks.

Clifford L. Hughes
May 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
Nhager:
I sold guns for a living after I retired from the Marine Corps. During the seventies and the eighties I tried to steer my customers away from Llama pistols because of the returns for repair and their bad reputation. In the years after they went out of business I refused to sell used Llamas.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

larryh1108
May 15, 2012, 07:09 PM
Too bad on not buying, depending on the price.
The Max series by Llama was their last gasp for air.
I have found this series to be one of their best made pistols after they stopped making the Especial line in the late 60s/early 70s. Llama made this line the closest to the mil spec 1911s of all their products. Most Max series Llamas go from $275 to $375 depending on condition. Llama was the Rock Island of their day. You can get a decent pistol for a decent price if you check it out first. There are a lot of satisfied Llama owners on these boards. Of course, you get the Llama bashers too.

gijoeman
September 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
I read over these comments and it makes me wonder, I have been both shooting and collecting guns most of my fifty years. I am ex military, and in my military job carried both handguns and rifles everyday, as well as others. I am an NRA certified instructor, and have been repairing firearms and servicing them for years as well. I am still shocked everytime I read comments about what JUNK some guns are, I own several different brands of firearms including Llama, hi point, Colt, Smith and Wesson, Glock and springfield and kimber to name a few. So called experts here say I would never buy a Llama, well I would bet the farm if a bad guy sticks a mini max 45acp in your face and demands your wallet you are NOT going to tell him that the Llama is junk and you need to come back with a better gun! I buy lots of guns and I pretty much like all of them but some here say certain gun are not worth owning, well who are you to say that? A gun is a machine that fires bullets, I dont care whos name is on the side, that crap is for the posers of the world! Most cheaper guns dont have the fit and finish of the more expensive one,no suprise there! ok so what are you really looking for? Ak 47s are pretty ugly when it comes to fit and finish, yet tons of Americans have died in front of them! If You like a gun BUY it, dont worry about what Mr Sig lover or Joe Glock have to say. Half the cost of these the Big name gun are in the marketing of the products. Check out online what a perticular gun is selling for and figure out for yourself if you are getting a good deal. If I buy a used gun and it is not working, I fix it! the worst used gun I have have bought was a Colt series 70 1911, the thing would go off if you smacked it, but like the llamas and other I found the trouble and made it a good gun. Anybody out there that has a llama that they dont want or are ashamed of at the range, send it to me! I will take them all day long for the right price! Dont pay for a Chevy and expect a Cadillac or vice versa, but either one can run you over!

Grant D
September 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
I bought a Llama Mini Max 45 ten years ago for $265.00 new in box from Academy sporting goods.
Yes, it is heavy, and most 1911 parts are not interchangable,but after polishing the feed ramp, I have had zero problems with it after about 1,000 rounds through it.
It was accurate enough for me to get a perfect score on my CHL test.
I don't carry it concealed, as it to heavy,but it makes a perfect console gun in my truck.
Today, I guess it would be the same as buying a Rock Island 45

The rest of my hand guns are S&W's,Colts,Rugers,and Springfield Armory.
The Llama was just something cheap to play with.

lee n. field
September 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
So I have never owned or know anyone that has shot or owned a Llama gun before. I found a MiniMax 45 compact for sale. I am looking for a gun I can keep under my seat in the truck or when I feel like shooting pull it out and empty the clip. going to use it as a little plinking gun pretty much. yes sounds redneck but I am that. lol. And yes I do have other pistols this won't be my first. guy is asking 350 for it what do you guys think? Are they a decent gun? I know it won't be of quality like a Smith, kimber, or Springfield. But Like I said just a gun that will likely be punished and don't want to do it to my pretty full size 1911. thanks

Look for a Bersa Thunder .45 at about the same price. Better rep, and the company's still in business to provide support (unlike Llama).