PDA

View Full Version : Dropped the hammer on a used CZ97

Smaug
June 7, 2011, 10:38 PM
Firstly, thanks for all your advice in the other thread. Even though I didn't go with the majority this time, all the angles were really helpful.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/31/31189.jpg

First Impressions:

I kind of scratched this one off the list early, due to the reports that they are big. But when I got it in my hand, I found that it is "Glock 21 big"; that is to say, big, but not so big that there's any problem. It's just that it completely fills up my hand, and I use the full reach of my trigger finger to get to the trigger in DA mode. Again, it isn't like only the tip of my finger can get there: it is a full reach and a perfect position of my trigger finger.

I guess a good way to put it is that it is big enough that it is probably too big for a typical woman to shoot with first shot DA. My hand fits this about like my wife's hand fits our Hi-Power.

Truth be told, I was a little disappointed at the two-tone scheme of the EAA Witness Match. It is OK, but I'm not mad about it. I was mostly interested in the feature set; the 4.75" barrel, adjustable sights, good trigger... I like the other ones with full stainless and wood grips a bit better. But #1 for me is always blued with wood.

I called the fun shop and asked him for a quote on the Witness Match. Then, I thought to myself: "Self, why don't you take a nice drive down there on a hot summer night in your MX-5?" (15 minutes) I came with a good excuse; the white insert has fallen out of the front sight of our Hi-Power, I would see if I could find out about replacing the sights... AAAANNND.... while I was there, see what he had in stock in 45 :D

He had a new Glock 21, for which he was asking $625, (*yawn*) a bunch of 1911s, and an XD. But also the CZ97b. It was love at first sight, and I have to admit it is mostly emotional. It has the right looks, the right size, 10 round mags, and a fair price. He was asking $520, I asked for his bottom line. He looked into what he had into it, and offered it to me for $500 w/ two factory mags and no case or manual. It looks as if it has never been fired, nor has ever seen a holster.

A quick price check at Bud's (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=cz+97&x=0&y=0) seems to indicate I did all right. They're asking $632 new, and $550 for the last used one they sold.

Now, it's time to watch youtube videos and read reviews to fully torture myself during the 4 days it will take to get the gun. :o

Oh, one last thought: One thing I like about this gun compared to the CZ75 is that since the slide is bigger, there's more room to grab 'hold of it. It takes a good pinch to rack the slide on a '75.

P.P.S - The safety is a true safety > cocked & locked. Decocking will have to be done the old-fashioned way. (Fine by me, somehow, 1911s have gotten by with no decocker for 100 years...)

Smaug
June 7, 2011, 10:47 PM
I found a 10 year old post here suggesting that CZ97s won't feed HPs.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64359

I hope the remedied this situation. No biggy if not, I don't need to use it for a home defense gun anyway, but it would be nice to know I can if I want to.

Fellow CZ97 owners, have you tried it with HPs? What did you find?

Don Glock
June 7, 2011, 11:38 PM
check out the cz forum. that thread you linked is the first i've heard of the cz97 not feeding jhp's. :)

plus, the OP in that thread mentioned his cz97 fed jhp's just fine, and was simply passing on an internet rumor lol

geetarman
June 8, 2011, 06:53 AM
A fine choice. I have one also and it is a soft shooting .45 if there ever was one.

I shoot mine a lot.

Geetarman:D

Amin Parker
June 8, 2011, 07:31 AM
The 97 is just an amazing pistol every possible way. Congratulations.

geetarman
June 8, 2011, 09:24 AM
Amen. . Amin. . .I couldn't resist!!:)

LarryFlew
June 8, 2011, 09:29 AM
It doesn't seem to like the pointy HP's but does fine on rounded HP's like Gold Dots etc.

hanno
June 8, 2011, 09:59 AM
Congrats on the new 97. It is a superb pistol.

I replaced the wood grips on mine with the rubber ones.

FWIW, I have fired hollow-point ammo (Hornady Critical Defense and MAC Ammo Razorback) with no feeding issues whatsoever.

Mal H
June 8, 2011, 10:17 AM
Good choice!

I found a 10 year old post here suggesting that CZ97s won't feed HPs.
I've had my 97B for about that amount of time, and it has always fed HP's without a problem. It wouldn't be much of a gun, if it wouldn't feed them.

If you do find a problem with HP's or any other non-ball ammo, be sure to check the magazines for uniformity before blaming the pistol.

schmeky
June 8, 2011, 10:18 AM
Smaug,

I'm a 97 guy. Love my work horse 97 that is approaching 8,000 rounds. You can install a stiffer recoil spring and convert to .45 Super for occassional use. Makes for a killer SD gun in Super.

There are many upgrades available for the 97 nowdays. Go to the CZ Forum, Gunsmith section. I offer a variety of hammer, trigger, and spring kits CZ's, including the 97. Makes a great gun exceptional.

bigghoss
June 8, 2011, 11:49 AM
I've kinda had a thing for the cz97 for a bit now. as much as I like my glock it just sort of 'is' and really has no sentiment. steel usually feels much nicer.

geetarman
June 8, 2011, 12:55 PM
I also have a G21 and that is another really nice shooting .45. Nothing wrong with that gun either.

schmeky
June 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
I mean no disrespect with this comment, but to me, a Glock is like a Honda, whereas the CZ-97 is like the new V2 Harley Evolution engine; lots of personality, bold, and durable :cool:

Smaug
June 8, 2011, 02:33 PM
schmeky: I just signed up at the CZ forum, same username. I assume we're talking about czfirearms.us? What about sights, can you tell me which fully adjustable sights will fit? (I don't really know how to measure the dovetail slots to find out myself.) Is there a name for the dovetail shape on this? I don't know about 45 Super for defense; that might be a liability issue. But for hunting, or flatter shooting at longer ranges, it would be brilliant.

Mal: Will do. I won't be too quick to blame the gun in case of feeding issues.

geetarman: I agree; Glock 21s are nice shooting pistols, one just has to adapt to the Glock trigger. I was never able to shoot a 9mm Glock as well as the 45s. It takes some practice to hold the sight picture on target while the trigger stacks and stacks...

hanno: Which rubber grips? Hogue wrap-arounds, or rubber panels? I have Hogue wrap-arounds on 3 other guns, and I just love them. I think they might be thinner on the sides than the stock grips, which might make the gun narrower. It will be a shame though; the wood grips are so much prettier...

Can anyone give me up-to-date info on which magazines are good for the 97s? It seems Mec-Gar might be hit or miss. I have a couple Mec-Gars for my Hi-Power, and they are LOADS better than the stock one.

hanno
June 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
Smaug,
My grips are the CZ rubber panels. I just prefer them to the wood ones that came stock.

You can buy Mec-Gar mags (Mec-Gar is an OEM for CZ) for the CZ 97. Just buy the ones made for the EAA Witness, they work fine in the 97.

Edited to add link to Mec-Gar mag:

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db|mecgardb.dat|Witness

Mal H
June 8, 2011, 04:32 PM
Mec-Gar mags are the way to go for the 97B. As with most any magazine, you might have to do some fine adjustments (I had to on one), but overall they are the best ones you will find for that particular pistol.

WVsig
June 8, 2011, 05:36 PM
I always wanted one but it simply did not fit me. I passed on quiet a few back when you could find them used for $400. I love the blue on the older ones. They are great 45s. Enjoy it and I look forward to hearing a range report.

Eghad
June 8, 2011, 05:41 PM
nice pistol!

Mr.Blue
June 8, 2011, 08:25 PM
@Smaug

Thanks a lot! You have me desiring another gun. Now I have to have a CZ97. I think I am going to go with the CZ97 BD though. It reminds me of my SP01.

Good luck with your pistol!

Smaug
June 8, 2011, 10:41 PM
One of the brilliant things about this gun is the choices it gives us.

Cocked & locked ala 1911? No problem.

Safety off and first shot DA, followed by SA follow-ups? No problem.

The only thing is that you have to decock it like a man. :cool:

It even has a half-cocked hammer position, so in case the hammer falls due to an impact, it doesn't light one off.

chris in va
June 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
I want a CZ 97BD in the worst way.

and offered it to me for $500 w/ two factory mags and no case or manual

That sir, is a steal.:D

Do yourself a favor at some point down the road and get a trigger job done. I tried one years ago with the treatment and it was pure magic.

Pilot
June 9, 2011, 02:35 PM
It seems Mec-Gar might be hit or miss. I have a couple Mec-Gars for my Hi-Power, and they are LOADS better than the stock one.

Mec-Gar makes the factory magazines for the FN/Browning Hi Power as well as several others. I have never previously heard nor had the personal experience that Mec-Gar was "hit or miss".

WVsig
June 9, 2011, 03:25 PM
Mec-Gar makes the factory magazines for the FN/Browning Hi Power as well as several others. I have never previously heard nor had the personal experience that Mec-Gar was "hit or miss".

And Sig... Every Mecgar I have ever used was and is 100%. They are or have been the OEM for a lot of companies. I trust all of mine.

giaquir
June 9, 2011, 03:33 PM
Handsome pistol!!

Smaug
June 9, 2011, 03:36 PM
Mine's not quite THAT handsome, as it has the matte powdercoat finish and not the gloss blue.

But it's not ugly either. :)

nefprotector
June 9, 2011, 06:43 PM
I likey that pistol! Only if .45acp was so damn expensive.

schmeky
June 9, 2011, 09:28 PM
This is one of my favorite images of one of my favorite 45's. With the H&G #68, 200 LSWC seated to 1.240", being pushed by 4.8-5.0 gns of WW231, it will not malfunction. I went 4,000 rounds w/o a single bobble, until the mag spring finally sacked out. It has since gone 3,000 rounds (with a new mag spring) with -0- malfunctions.

Along with the amazing reliability, this accurized 97 will shoot <1.0" @ 25 yards from a rest. What else can you say? Good choice to the OP.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6425/img0747zl9.jpg

Here's a 25 yard target when I was having a "good" day:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5531/czpics040.jpg

meanmachine1961
June 9, 2011, 09:46 PM
Smaug, I think you got a real winner there. Congradulations!

Smaug
June 9, 2011, 10:55 PM
meanmachine: Thanks! We'll see. Look for a report soon.

schmeky: Is the Hogue from a CZ 75 with the hair dryer treatment to stretch it to fit the 97, or do they actually make one for the 97 now?

Smaug
June 9, 2011, 10:57 PM
I just found out this indeed has a 4.8" barrel, and not the 4.5" that was printed on the swing tag in the LGS. So the only thing missing between this and the EAA Witness Match is the trigger job and adjustable sights. They're already on the radar, but I'll have to see how it shoots stock first.

I'm pretty stoked, if you couldn't tell from all my posts on the gun so far, hehehe.

schmeky
June 10, 2011, 07:47 AM
Smaug,

You have to stretch the 75 Hogues to fit. I use tie-straps/nylon cable ties and a certain sized punch to put the grips on. Works better for me than the hair dryer method.