PDA

View Full Version : Ok, this must sound like an incredibly stupid question but...

Kimio
May 27, 2011, 03:35 PM
I recently purchased a Stag Arms Model 4 M16 style AR15, fiddling around with the elevation knobs at the range helped, but I couldn't remember how many meters the sights adjust per click of the knob.

Meaning, does one click adjust in 25 meter increments? If I recall the rifle is already zeroed at 100 meters, reading the users manual didn't really help me unfortunately.

It has a detachable carrying handle with built in sights in case you're wondering.

Thank you for reading this, I'm still very new to the AR15 platform so please bare with my ignorance.

chadstrickland
May 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
Lol ok dude..its not a stupid question..but when it comes to open sights you will have to zero that rifle in at whatever range you want it to be..you cannot zero open sights for someone eles ( to my knowledge )..so get some ammo and paper and get to the range..now those sights I believe are 1/2 moa per click..maybe 1/4....what moa stands for is minute of angle..1 moa is 1 inch at 100 yards..so if your rifle had 1/2 moa clicks then it would take two clicks to move your point of impact 1 inch..if it was 1/4 it would take 4 clicks...you following me :)...either google the rilfe and see or go to the range and see....now when I mentioned that you cannot zero another persons rifle and have it be set in for them..what I was trying to explain is that your head is shaped different than the other persons..your cheek weld is different....and hmm..if you are wondering why someone can't set in a scope for you..is because a scope ( most of them ) force you in a way to hold your head in a certain spot to see the whole image..some don't.but most do..and that's the reason people can borsight other peoples scopes and it be close..( I said close and not precisely true )...hope this helped

Art Eatman
May 27, 2011, 04:23 PM
I acquired a similar AR. I started out at 25 yards, horizontally centered and maybe three inches low before calling it good enough to then go to 100 yards. I don't really remember how many clicks did what. :)

So, at 100 yards, I'd "play with the clicker" until I was horizontally centered and about two inches high. That's pretty close to dead on at 200 and maybe six inches low at 300, which is my standard deal for all my rifles.

I guess one way to check at 100 yards would be to very carefully shoot a three-shot group and then adjust two clicks and then very carefully shoot another three-shot group. The distance between group centers would then let you figure the amount of real-world movement each click provides.

However, once I get my deal of 2" high at 100, I don't ever readjust the sights unless something changes. (Ammo; bumping and banging.)

Eghad
May 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
I use the military method with my M4 zero at 25 meters and it is pretty much dead on at 300 meters.

big al hunter
May 27, 2011, 08:14 PM
No such thing as a stupid question. It sounds like you need a tutorial on ballistics and trajectory. After you read all of this click this linkhttp://www.6mmBR.com/ballistics.html scroll down until you see a graph with an arc in red crossing a straight line. On the left side is a scale with 0 in the middle and positive numbers above negative numbers below.
At the bottom of the graph is 0, 100, 200, 300. The numbers on the left show the bullet height from line of sight( straight line along your gun sites). The numbers on the bottom are the range in yards. The red arc is the bullet path and the bold black line is the line of site. You will notice that the bullet crosses the line of site twice. Once at about 25 yards and again about 300 yards. That is why Eghad uses the 25 yard site in.

Each gun and type of ammo will shoot to a different trajectory. Most will be similar to the graph. You will have to shoot your gun at different ranges to see how many clicks you will need at any given distance. Remember that the farther away you sight in your gun the more it will be off up close. If you will be shooting at a range at known distances under 300 yards you should be OK with a 100 yard zero. You won't need to change it unless you will be shooting at long ranges ( unless you want to it's a free world and whatever tickles your fancy is ok by me) Have fun and feel free to ask more questions. I am sure this will cause more questions than it answers.

Marquezj16
May 27, 2011, 09:23 PM
If I understand the question correctly, you were asking about the rear sight elevation correction. If you have it zeroed at 25 meters, each click up will move it 1/4 inch at 25m. If your zero is 100m, then one click is 1". What does that mean as how far your zero moves each time adjust the elevation up one click. Well if you are zeroed in at 25 meters and you wanted to shoot at 100. Adjusting the elevation up one click will actually make you shoot higher because a zero at 25 meters will hit 3" high at 100m. If you zero at 100m, then one click moves your zero at different intervals. The first click up might move you to 125m, the second click up to 150m, but the third click gets you to 200m. There should be a 2 on the dial. Then each click is different after that. For M4 sights 400m (4), 500m (5), and 600m (6/3) are marked.

I might be wrong, but that is how I understood the elevation adjustment on the rear sight is to adjust for proper target distance. It should be at the bottom position (6/3) and only the front sight is used for adjust during zero.
I will have to test this out at the range to see how accurate this is.