PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting question

Remington249
May 19, 2011, 12:38 PM
I have a remington 597 in .22lr with a factory dovetail base and i just bought a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mm scope for it. How do you think i should mount it? Should a buy a weaver base?

geetarman
May 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
If you already have the base on the rifle, then all you need are rings to hold the scope. Is there something else you are not telling us?

Geetarman:confused:

Remington249
May 19, 2011, 12:42 PM
I've heard that the dovetail mount is not reccommended for scopes over 36mm -.-

Doyle
May 19, 2011, 12:50 PM
Is it drilled and tapped for a scope base in addition to having the dovetail slots? If not, you are going to have to take it to a gunsmith and get it tapped if you want something other than standard .22 tip-off mounts.

RedNeckWino
May 19, 2011, 12:59 PM
+1 to what Doyle said. Depending on use, if within 200 yards for a .22lr, I would say mount it up and see how accurate it is. Save the money if its not needed to be railed. Should not have much for recoil to toss around a scope on dove tails.

Remington249
May 19, 2011, 01:03 PM
What about the dovetail to weaver adapter? Is that any good?

ozarkrecluse
May 19, 2011, 07:12 PM
Something I learned from the folks at rimfirecentral.com for getting a good scope mount for a .22 with a dovetail, use this mount: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Mount_w_1_Rings_3_8_Dovetail/805 . It locks in solid and does not slide.

Doyle
May 20, 2011, 07:36 AM
What about the dovetail to weaver adapter? Is that any good?

No. You are not adding any strength to the mount because everything is still dependent on how good those dovetail clamps can hold. Plus, it raises the scope higher than dovetail rings alone would do.

Jimro
May 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
I don't know where you heard that dovetail rings weren't good for scopes over 36mm, but as long as you get quality rings you should be just fine. In any mechanical connection bigger is better, so get the rings with the most contact area possible and call it good.

Jimro

Smaug
May 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
The Weaver mounts for the usual "tip-off" mounting that is milled into most 22 receivers will not slip around. They are serrated, so there's no worry there. I have them on my Marlin 60; and they're very solid.

I'm assuming when you said: "factory dovetail base" you meant longitudally-running rail.

If it really does have bases that mount in dovetail slots, then you just need the right size rings for your scope.