PDA

View Full Version : Opinion burris AR-332 vs Eotech 512

christcorp
May 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
Looking at getting another AR and set of sights. Strictly based on use on an AR, I was wondering people's opinions on using the Burris AR-332. Especially compared to the Eotech 512. Price is similar. The Burris AR-332 is about $308 and the Eotech 512 is $368 from Sportsman's Guide.com. Lots of great opinions about the Eotech. Not as much heard about the Burris. Thing I like about it, is that if the battery is dead or taken out, it still has the reticle. It also has a built in bullet compensator out to 500 yards, and it's calibrated for the .223/5.56. It's also a built in 3x magnification.

The Eotech 512,..... well, everyone pretty much knows about it. So; being the price is basically the same, is it better to go with the Eotech 512; or does the Burris AR-332 have enough pros going for it to make it a better choice? Definitely a personal preference question for sure. Just curious if there's a lot of Burris AR-332 fans out there that would suggest it over the Eotech 512. Thanks....

morrisammo
May 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Whatever you buy, get a 1x4 power or in that range, from point blank to 600 ish,, you will have the right tool for the job,, and will be happier in the end,

Leatherwood makes a 3 gun scope

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leatherwood-cmr-series-hi-lux-1-4x24-riflescope.html

That is in the price range that you state,, I have one it works well,

On my 3 gun rifle I shoot a Horus Blackbird, if you work out your scope dope for any ammo, you can shoot at any distance,

I also have a Lupy,, MRT the 1.5-5 that is also a good choice, It is on my Sons AR and still works very well,

christcorp
May 17, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the input. I'd rather stay away from a variable full size scope. It would only be used on the AR. I have fixed sights also, so co-witnessing is important. I don't want a full length scope. It's really only for target, tactical, and varmint type shooting. "Varmint means coyotes, prairie dogs, etc...". Basically, 0-200 yards. I have a 2x red-dot on one of my AR's currently. It's an A1 optic and it does a really good job. I'd just like something different for this other one. 3x isn't too much at 0-100 yards for defensive purposes. If I get the Eotech 512, I can always add a magnifier on it later.

Basically looking for people who have/had the Burris AR-332, and would give opinions about using it compared to an Eotech for about the same price. Thanks... mike....

morrisammo
May 17, 2011, 02:18 PM
It is all good,,, just putting it out their,,

I have tried many different sights and scopes,

I have used the BDC but loading the ammo to match the drops in the scope was a pain,, and most of the loads had to be Hot seeing they, all had military ammo in mind,,

I'm staying with the horus, with a Larue mount I can put it on any flat top I own, 223/5.56 or my 308,, works great, or any rifle for that matter,, I just crony the ammo run the data in JBM calc,, and I'm good to go,

christcorp
May 17, 2011, 02:32 PM
I'm not into bench rest type shooting. I don't care too much about MOA. But I sort of like the BDC. I have one on my 6-24x50mm hunting scope. Comes in real handy at hunting deer, elk, antelope, and sheep at 300+ yards. With the AR, the 200 yard shots would be mainly for fun; coyote; etc... Not really into marksman type competition shooting. I shoot mainly practice ammo of steel case russian. With open sights and red-dots, off hand; prone; kneeling; etc... I can shoot into a 4"x4" square area at 100 yards. That's more than good enough for me. I never bench rest, vise, etc... a rifle. Except for the initial sighting in.

morrisammo
May 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
http://www.horusvision.com/demos.php

play with the demo,,, Horus Reticle with Spotter
See how shooters and spotters use Horus Reticles in tandem.

you sound like you you love shooting 3 gun,

christcorp
May 17, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the link. It was fun. To answer your question: No, I'm not into 3 gun. I don't get into any type of competition shooting. The only "Sport" shooting I do, is hunting. All other shooting is simply the fun of weapons; target proficiency; varmints; etc... Just not into it as a "Sport". I don't even consider hunting a sport. I just refer to it as a sport, because most people see it that way. I hunt for the food. I don't even hang the heads, horns, antlers, etc... on the wall. I shoot for fun, food, and freedom. (Freedom=Don't break into my house or try and rob me on the street).

Back to the topic: The horus scope is definitely cool, but I'm not into that type of target shooting. Although, I'd probably like to try it on my hunting rifle. But for my AR, it's impractical. I don't want a scope that I need to spend time acquiring a target. I retired from the military 10 years ago, and I'm not a sniper. I prefer fast acquisition. I know the eotech is very fast to AQ. I'm hoping some people will give me some info on the Burris AR-332.

tINY
May 17, 2011, 06:16 PM
I ended up with the XPS with the circle and two dots. The Burris looked interesting, but the mount was a bit strange...

-tINY

christcorp
May 17, 2011, 06:21 PM
tINY: Interesting. What do you mean that the mount looked strange? Do you think it's too high to do any co-witnessing? Is it not at a natural position to look through? It mounts to a standard picatinny. Thanks for the info.

tINY
May 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
The base mounts to a picatinny rail, the bottom of the scope looks something like an old NATO standard that was used on the AN/PVS - but they don't state that anywhere.

so, you end up having a proprietary base that has to be used with your scope...

-tINY

christcorp
May 17, 2011, 07:38 PM
I see what you're saying. But it would fit any picatinny. And the only 3 rifles I would even consider using it on, do have picatinny rails.

On a side note: If I got the EoTech; e.g. 512; how would you mount that to anything other than a picatinny or weaver rail? thanks.... mike....

arizona98tj
May 18, 2011, 12:16 AM
Available mounts from EOtech.....

http://www.eotech-inc.com/mounts.php

christcorp
May 18, 2011, 08:22 AM
There's definitely many different mounts for the Eotech, but I think tINY was commenting more on the LACK of mounting options for the Burris AR-332.

The only weapons I would use any of these 2 sights on, have picatinny. So mounting I don't think would be an issue. Hoping someone with AR-332 experience can chime in and give some 1st hand experience with it. Possibly a good comparison of use against the Eotech. Thanks...

christcorp
May 18, 2011, 03:00 PM
I had an epiphany and realized that the Burris AR-332 is most likely a No-Go. My reason is: Being it's a fixed 3x magnification, I think that would eliminate a co-witness with my BUIS. The only option would be to use a "Quick-Disconnect" mount which is available for this optic, and remove the AR-332 if i needed/wanted to use the iron sights. Any opinions?

Jimro
May 18, 2011, 03:13 PM
If you want to co-witness iron sights then you don't want any magnification.

Those of us that use issued ACOGs just zero the irons first, then mount the optic and zero the ACOG. Which would be your best bet for the Burris.

If you are planning on shooting an M193 equivalent or M855 equivalent then the BDC reticle will be "close enough" for most everything larger than squirrel. The difference between the two rounds at 500 meters is still only a matter of inches.

Jimro