PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 trigger assembly swap

Mike38
May 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Here’s my stupid question of the month. I have two Ruger 10/22 rifles. One made in 1995, the other 2010. Can I swap the trigger assemblies without experiencing any problem, specifically safety issues? They look the same, but are they?

Reason I ask. The older 10/22 has a sweet trigger job done to it, and a mounted scope. The newer is factory trigger, and has Tech Sights. I want to shoot an Appleseed with iron sights, already have the rifleman patch with a scope, want another with irons. I’m unemployed, so a trigger job for the new rifle will not fit into a budget. Thanks.

WVleo
May 17, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hi, I believe there should be no safety issues invovled with just swapping 1 trigger assembly for another. But I am unfamiliar with the polymer trigger assembly being interchangeable, tho I'm sure it would be........WVleo

jmr40
May 17, 2011, 05:56 AM
I've done the same, and for the same reasons. I had no problems.

madcratebuilder
May 17, 2011, 06:36 AM
It's a direct swap.

Pahoo
May 17, 2011, 10:33 AM
I too have done this for a number of years and although I'm always on the lookout for problems, from the plastic trigger groups you should not have any safety issues. You still have the same barrel and bolt assembly. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

zukiphile
May 17, 2011, 11:16 AM
I’m unemployed, so a trigger job for the new rifle will not fit into a budget.

You could take this opportunity to do your own trigger job.

The stock horror of a trigger weight arises from a virtually hooked notch in the sear. Taking the time to polish that and then gluing a trigger over-travel stop to the trigger guard makes a very big difference.

Safety test this by cocking and dropping the item on the buttplate. If it trips, it's too light.

If you go too light (as I did the first time around - just a few ounces) you can file a notch a bit deeper to bring the pull weight back up.

I am not mechanically inclined at all, but even haven't destroyed a sear yet.

I like the idea of the Tech Sights, but have never used them and can't justify the cost.