PDA

View Full Version : Savage 303 Novice Question

GMC57
May 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hi,
My first time here. Hope I am in the right place. I don't have much experience with firearms. Clearing out my great uncle's stuff a year ago, I came across Savage 303 loaded bullets. A couple of boxes which I give to my neighbor who hunts and has a lot of rifles. A week ago, I come across my uncle's rifle (which I didn't know was still around), which is a Savage 303, and from the serial number apparently 1918-19. I check the internet and it looks like a great rifle with some history. My adult son is interested in shooting and I thought I'd give to him. I now realize that the bullets I gave away are precious. I'll ask my neighbor if he's still got them. My question is where can I buy loaded ammunition. I don't think I'll ever load my own. I saw one sight for rare ammo that talked of some 303s being .308 and others .311. Would I know by the year of my rifle, which I've got? Is there a site or two where I can buy ammunition for this gun? I know it is going to be expensive, but I just can't get a clear fix on a good seller - where I can understand what I'm buying. Sorry if I use wrong lingo. Any assistance, I'd appreciate.

snipecatcher
May 12, 2011, 01:24 PM
Ask your neighbor if he reloads, and if so, will load some ammo for you if you buy the components. If not, find someone local who is a reloader. It should be no big deal for someone to load up a few "start" loads for your rifle, which will be fine for target shooting or hunting. I know I wouldn't mind helping out a fellow shooter in a situation like yours. You can always sell the dies/leftover components later if you need to.
-Dan

snipecatcher
May 12, 2011, 01:34 PM
To follow up on my previous post:

Dies $28 for a set
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=479976

Brass $19 per 20
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23106

Bullets $23 per hundred
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=632165

That comes out to $70 and should allow you to load 100 rounds (if only 20 at a time.) Factory ammo may cost close to that for a box of 20. With light loads, those 20 pieces of brass should last a long time. The only thing missing is primers and powder. Primers can be bought per 100, and I'd suggest asking the person who is reloading for you how much they want for powder for 100 rounds.
-Dan

GMC57
May 12, 2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks Dan. I will ask my neighbor about local loader. If that doesn't pan out, who would I buy loaded from?

Nico Testosteros
May 12, 2011, 02:21 PM
Ammobank.com seems to have some. Buffalo Arms also.

Doyle
May 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
.303 Savage is one of the harder calibers to find. If you do find some, buy all you can because you likely won't find it when you go back.

mwells72774
May 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
depending on location (not posted in profile) there's probably someone on here that would help out

GMC57
May 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks. Went to that site and will order some. 50 some dollars for 20. I'm in the wrong business. Will re-double my efforts to get back the ones I gave away.

GMC57
May 12, 2011, 02:51 PM
I live in Connecticut. Northwest hills.

44 AMP
May 12, 2011, 08:23 PM
The .303 Savage was a competitor to the .30-30 Winchester, and is not even remotely like the .303 British.

The .303 Savage has long been an obsolete caliber, and for many years, cases, dies and ammo were very difficult to find. Like many other long obsolete calibers, they are available again, new made, and fabulously expensive, compared to more common ammo. No new rifles are being commercially produced, but componenets and ammo can be had to get the old guns shooting again. Just not cheaply.

The .303 Savage was well thought of in its day, because it was factory loaded with a 190gr bullet, compared to the .30-30 & .32 Special's 150 & 170 gr bullets.

I see a number of .303 Savage model 99s at the gun shows nowdays, now that the original owners sons, and more usually grandsons sell them off.

Do not confuse the .303 Savage with the .303 British. They are not the same at all. The .303 British has a larger case and larger diameter (.311-.312) bullet.

Doyle
May 12, 2011, 08:59 PM
AMP, you raised a question in my mind. Since the 303 British is a larger case, can a 303 Savage be rechambered for 303 British? The difference in bore diamtere of .001 isn't enough to worry about.

Jim Watson
May 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
No.

.303 British runs at about 40% higher chamber pressure. The old 99 might stand it for a while, but the British is larger and longer than the action will handle. You want a nice lever action single shot that would wear out early on?

Not really relevant but there is a lot more than .001" difference. (Do you know and understand the difference between bore and groove diameter?) .303 Savages at .311" are scarce; most are .308". So the groove diameter (and bullet diameter) are about .004-005" apart.