PDA

View Full Version : Craziest/worst thing you've ever had to clean off of a gun

Falcon642
May 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Sitting at the kitchen table last night cleaning my handguns. My wife is feeding our 9 month old daughter yogurt. My daughter grabs the spoon and throws it, perfect hit on my Beretta 96 covering the slide with yogurt.

After reflection, I could not think of having to wipe a weirder thing off of one of my guns.

So......can anyone top yogurt?

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
Spiders out of a shotgun barrel.

A guy brought a pistol in once. He had spilled Crazy Glue in it and it was locked up solid. We didn't even try to fix that one.

Mike Irwin
May 6, 2011, 01:17 PM
Years ago one of my dogs managed to drag my shotgun out from under my bed.

One of them then managed to puke on it.

Never could figure out if it was an accident, or if it was an editorial statement of some kind.

precision_shooter
May 6, 2011, 01:21 PM
I guess, My Own Blood would be the "weirdest" thing i've wiped off any of my guns.

How did my blood get on the gun, you might be asking?

Walk around the woods for any length of time or work on something mechanical and you will get scrapes, cuts, gouges, punctures and any other type of wound that bleeds... Luckily, blood comes off polymer/steel pretty easily.

mete
May 6, 2011, 01:45 PM
Blood can remove bluing and rust the steel . Yoghurt is acidic and can harm bluing as can any other acid.

While in gunsmithing school we fixed a shotgun .When the owner came to pick it up we asked if his kids ever touched his guns. He was insistant that they could never have touched his guns. Then we asked 'who stuffed the peanut butter and jelly sandwich into the action ?' !! :D

mdd
May 6, 2011, 02:12 PM
Previously applied stupidity and/or carelessness has always seemed to be the most difficult to remove.

FrankenMauser
May 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
"Odd" or "bad" things I have cleaned off my firearms:
Salsa.
Coke.
Milk.
Orange Juice.
Paint. :(
Blood (many species - even my own).
Brain Matter.
Intestinal Contents.
Feces (not human ;)).
Vomit.

And I think it was a jelly donut I had to chisel out of an issued AR mag, in Afghanistan. It was a hard chunk of pastry-like dough, with some kind of reddish goo; that had been allowed to weld itself to the follower.

jonnyc
May 6, 2011, 03:12 PM
Doing some training in the Negev I got a touch of dysentery. Ran out of camp, laid my M16 against a rock, dug for some paper, turned around and dropped-trou, and then shat on my trusty weapon. Easy to clean the stock, but I had to replace the sling.

aarondhgraham
May 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
A guy went to the porta-potty at our range with a nice 1911 on his belt,,,
About 30 seconds after he closed the door we all heard a very loud "Oh S___!"

Everyone there was trying to be sympathetic,,,
But I (and others) could not help but chuckle a bit,,,
He finally fished it out of the muck with a long handled shovel.

He hosed it down on the spot and left to go home and clean it.

On a serious note though,,,
He did something I wouldn't have thought of,,,
He got a one gallon milk jug to keep the pistol in water on the way home.

A gunsmith who was there said,,,
That with him keeping the metal under water,,,
It retarded any instantaneous formation of rust on the metal.

On another day at the range,,,
A lady stopped her male dog just in time,,,
He was in the process of lifting his leg on the rifle rack.

Aarond

egor20
May 6, 2011, 04:11 PM
He was in the process of lifting his leg on the rifle rack.

"Dead dog walking" :D:D:D:D:D

chadstrickland
May 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
Blood
brain
hair ( normally mixed with the above )
Dropped my 1911 in a cow patty..( fresh I might add it was still warm..cold winter time and my pistol had steam coming off of
I was outside skinning a deer and laid my pistol on a low table next to me ( it had some bllod and hair on it )..and when I finished skinning the deer and looked down it was gone..I figured my mom had taken it inside to clean it or somthing..NEXT DAY I had forgotten about my pistol and was in trouble for not taking the guts off and when I did and go dump them..my trusty 45 fell out of the bucket and onto the ground....apparently my dog had put it in there as he often does with spare bits of meat that he don't eat...I had to crawl down in a place I wont even attempt to describe to retrieve my gun and then had to clean the dried blood and meat and gunk off my pistol...it smelled awful
laid my rifle against a fence to cross it one day and a friend of mine had to **** and did so on my rifle..on accident was what he said..although I am not so sure
Was in a boat shooting turtles off a log when a bird managed to poop on my gun..it landed on my forward grip

Edited for saying bad word again

kozak6
May 6, 2011, 04:48 PM
I found a short and curly in my CZ-52 (it wasn't mine).

Avenger
May 6, 2011, 04:49 PM
Marshmallow remnants from a Mosin bayonet...the actual marshmallow was no longer around. :D

Old Grump
May 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
Oatmeal and tiny scraps of paper. Still trying to figure that one out.

TXAZ
May 6, 2011, 05:00 PM
'who stuffed the peanut butter and jelly sandwich into the action ?'

That's good. Wonder if there's some real use for it :)

hardworker
May 6, 2011, 05:54 PM
I shot a rabbit with my 22 mag once. My buddy went out and picked it up and when he got back swung the rabbit by the hind legs and hit me with it a couple of times, got rabbit blood all over the bolt of the rifle. I cleaned most of it off, but it was only a marlin 22 mag so I figure whatever I couldn't get with my shirt is just character.

Glenn Dee
May 6, 2011, 06:17 PM
Pigeon poop.

Tom Servo
May 6, 2011, 09:44 PM
The action clogged with face powder was a good cautionary tale about purse carry.

The leaves that were jammed in a hunter's rifle a year previously were a lesson in cleaning a gun after a hunt, whether or not an animal was taken.

Red wine does not do good things to steel, especially when it soaks through the leather holster in which the gun was being stored.

Baby oil is not an acceptable lubricant or rust inhibitor. We won't go into detail on that one.

egor20
May 6, 2011, 09:53 PM
Horse Pie "fight"

I didn't start it................

Honest Guv :D:D

Really a PITA to get it out of a pump shotgun and a 1911 type pistol

The Mrs. was NOT amused:mad::D:D

Wildalaska
May 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
Well.......:eek:

WildthisisafamilyboardsothoseofyouwhowantthestoryneedtopmmeseniormembersonlyAlaska ™©2002-2011

ljnowell
May 6, 2011, 11:42 PM
I once cleaned my best friends hair, blood, tissue, etc. from the muzzle end of an XD45.

Uncle Buck
May 7, 2011, 08:32 AM
I have a barn gun (.22 LR) that I had to clean a mud daubers nest out of.

Those little buggers can plug up anything.

carpfisher
May 7, 2011, 10:19 AM
Had my match .22 laid out on the open case on the floor in the "man cave".
Apparently the stupidbeagle (1 word) decided it was too cold out and used the case/rifle as a urinal, more than once.

Dog urine pits steel, removes blue, and stains a nice blond beech black. Wood was realtively easy to fix. Re-blue the steel but the pitting it there forever. Couldn't kill the beagle as it belongs to the preteen daughter, but it was close

ArizonaTRex
May 7, 2011, 10:40 PM
Had a pump hairspray bottle leak,all thru the bag and completely soak my 1911. It had dried prefectly clear and locked up the action solid. Really solid. Brief moment of panic when I discovered I couldn't cycle the slide....:eek:
Thought it was a mechanical problem until that extra shine caught my attention! Hot water and a complete cleaning fixed it.
Glad I make it a practice to check function only my ccw and bug daily.
And I use grease now on the slide instead of oil!

Kreyzhorse
May 8, 2011, 06:45 AM
Years ago one of my dogs managed to drag my shotgun out from under my bed.

One of them then managed to puke on it.

Never could figure out if it was an accident, or if it was an editorial statement of some kind.

That's pretty funny Mike. :)

I must live a charmed live as other than mud and blood, I've never had to clean any thing odd off my guns.

cornbush
May 8, 2011, 08:36 AM
Ken wins hands down................:eek::D:D

SPEMack618
May 8, 2011, 11:27 AM
Bright pink nail polish....just the other night.

Sitting in the FratCastle, got the Glock broken down on my cleaning towel, the Lady Friend is sprawled out on the couch with me, painting her finger nails, sits down the polish, no cap, I absently mindledly reach across the table for the remote with predictable results.

mbquimby
May 8, 2011, 11:43 AM
Burnt skin.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Stevie-Ray
May 8, 2011, 12:47 PM
I set one of my just cleaned pistols on the bed, after a rear deck marathon cleaning, because it was just too hot outside to leave an all-steel handgun in the sun. When I had finished the next one, I was dismayed to see my cat had puked on the previous one. He was nowhere to be found-good thing. Worst though, was an outside shoot, firing my bolt action .22, guano splatted right on the receiver getting into everything including my right hand and even speckling my face. The seagull made a turn and flew back over me squawking it's triumphant haha haha.:mad: It was all I could do not to fire in the air-had it been a shotgun, I'm still not sure.

4V50 Gary
May 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
I removed the sideplate of a S&W M19 revolver and found a white feather.:rolleyes: I really gave the user a lot of flak for that.

Yung.gunr
May 9, 2011, 10:35 PM
Went out of town with the wife this weekend and my spare mag and PD ammo got thrown in a bag with some "other" things. With all the jostling around in the trunk the cap for the sex lube broke off. When we talk about lubricating our guns I don't think that's what we have in mind. Let the jokes ensue regarding the ammo and magazine getting a good dousing of sex lube.:D

Dre_sa
May 10, 2011, 12:50 AM
Back in high school, while on the shooting team, we were getting ready for a practice session when one of the teachers comes into the armory. It was strange to see this particular teacher there, as she had nothing to do with shooting.
Anyway, she walked up to my friend and I, asking if we could clean her gun for her. Of course, we said yes. She then pulled out a beat up Rossi revolver in .38. We stuck it in the safe to be looked at after the practice.

When we got back, we put away our rifles and gear, took stock of the ammunition, and pulled the .38 out. It was covered in peanut butter and some sort of jam. it had obviously been there for a while, as it was all crusty and covered in lint and other stuff that we chose not to identify.

well we stripped that pistol bare and gave it what must have been the first real cleaning of its life.