PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS wont cycle.

Nick9130White
May 4, 2011, 09:39 AM
I took it to the range the weekend after last and first 30 rounds cycled just fine, then I turned it to single shot and shot about 10 rounds then I put it back to semi. But it started acting like it was on single shot. The knob was to the right, so it wasn't on single shot.

But when I took it home from the range I field stripped it and when I took out the gas piston it was DRENCHED in cosmoline. I guess I forgot to clean off the cosmoline off that, but it was a PITA to break it free from the cosmoline. Could that be why it wasn't cycling?

Shooter4Life
May 4, 2011, 09:57 AM
That is definately why it wouldn't cycle. Clean it up and it should cycle fine as long as there is no damage to the gas piston or tube. That stuff causes all kinds of problems for moving parts if not completely removed.

Its always a good idea, before shooting a rifle that is new to you, to completely disassemble and inscpect and clean all parts before use. If you havn't done so already, you should remove the trigger assy, reciever cover, bolt, op rod, gas piston and tube, and gas valve and clean and inspect. Be sure there are no grooves or pits in either the gas valve, tube, or piston. If any of these 3 componants are damaged, it will not cycle correctly. Hope this helps and happy shooting!!!

Nick9130White
May 4, 2011, 10:08 AM
Oh ok good, thank you!

I dissaeesmbled the whole thing when I first got it to clean off the cosmoline. I don't even know why I didn't clean the piston.

kx592
May 4, 2011, 10:31 AM
Make sure you take that bolt apart and clean that junk off the firing pin and from inside the bolt to keep the firing pin free, you might get a nice surprise once in awhile otherwise.

Shooter4Life
May 4, 2011, 10:42 AM
You make an excellent point, one that I apolagize for forgetting to mention. The firing pin and chamber should be inspected for cosmolene as well. If there is any remaining there, it could and has in the past, cause the firing pin to hang in the forward position, causing runaway full auto fire. This can be very dangerous when not expecting it. The factory firing pin on most SKS models is floating with no spring to return the pin to the rearward position. There is an upgraded spring loaded pin available from here

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

I highly recomend this upgrade to maintain safe firing conditions.

Cuc Tu
May 4, 2011, 12:28 PM
I'll have to check the documentation, is the firing pin / slam fire ever mentioned? If not, it sounds like a disaster and lawsuit waiting to happen.

I am so glad I took the entire rifle apart (and bolt) and soaked/scrubbed in kerosene to remove all that goo...

My firing pin was heavly gooed and stuck forward. I'm positive it was an accident waiting to happen.

ohen cepel
May 4, 2011, 12:59 PM
I think trying to sue Yugoslavia may be tough:)

Also, check your grenade gas shut off at the end of the rifle. If it is set for launching then it's not going to cycle either.