PDA

View Full Version : Any of you have a pistol target range at home?

champ198
April 29, 2011, 10:41 AM
was wondering if you all had a range at your home and if you had pictures of it...thinking about doing something at the house and was looking to get some ideas on how to set it up and targets

nefprotector
April 29, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have a 100 acre backyard & no neighbors.

hogcowboy
April 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
Same here. Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.

Vince44
April 29, 2011, 12:43 PM
Always wanted my own range, but that's going to have to wait until I retire and move.

PawPaw
April 29, 2011, 01:22 PM
I've got a 100 yard range on family land five miles from my house.

I had a 300 yard range on my land, but lost that piece of property during a divorce and the subsequent financial dynamic.

mnero
April 29, 2011, 02:43 PM
No:(on the bright side; if I did I would be broke as a stone from all the money I would have spent on ammo:D

45Gunner
April 29, 2011, 04:30 PM
Sometime ago which seems like another lifetime, I had a horse ranch. And on my ranch were horses, goats, chickens, ducks, geese, peacocks, dogs, and one barn cat.

The horses took up the majority of my time as they were the income producing members of the ranch. One day a week I had to ride "fence patrol" to shore up some of the fence line and do repairs to the electric fence. Another day during the week I had to ride the tractor to cut all the grass that the animals did not eat.

I was doing some repairs to a dog house one afternoon (the goats ate the shingles right off the roof) and realized that right beside my work area near the barn was a perfect area for a shooting range. It was an area away from where the animals roamed and all I needed was to move some dirt with the tractor and drop a few bales of hay to fortify the backstop. Viola!! Instant shooting range. So at the end of a long day of doing ranch chores (which are never ending), I could break out a couple of guns and fire away at any target I cared to put out. Even taught both my kids to shoot there.

That ranch has been sold some 30 years ago and now I live in the burbs. I don't miss the work that it took to maintain the ranch but I sure do miss walking out my door into my own shooting range.

Dwight55
April 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
Just imagine a picnic table on the front porch (right in front of your computer window too).

Seventy five yards away to the West is a dirt bank in which to shoot.

That's my set up, . . . plus I can go 130 yds farther east and shoot as far away as 200 yds.

Just my little 10 acres in the boonies. I shoot whatever target I find to put out there, . . . am rather partial to paper, . . . easier to clean up after. We also use a lot of "dirty bird" targets, . . . I hate to walk down there to see where I shot, . . . "dirty birds" let you know out to about 35 yds.

May God bless,
Dwight

highvel
April 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
My pistol range is my back deck with a stack of logs at the wood line. I dont think a picture of my wood pile would help:D

Jbar4Ranch
April 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
Three benches, two of which are on 100 yard ranges, one with butts at 15, 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards, a three stage CAS range, a couple of simple foot tripped traps for clays, a 500 yard range with ranging stakes at 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, and 450 yards, then an 8' x 8' target butt at the 500 yard line. I need to cut a handful of trees and lase off a thousand yard range one of these days.

The 500 yard range - my house at upper left. The bench is an old X-ray table with a couple wings welded on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/500-3.jpg

A little closer - I had just shot a 3 round group with black powder loads from the .45-70 Sharps above that measured 3 3/8", center to center. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/500-2.jpg

Some of the CAS targets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/RangePanorama.jpg

Every now and then, ya gotta run some of these things off before you can shoot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Elk011.jpg

Sleuth
May 4, 2011, 03:37 PM
200 yard range 25 yards from my front door. I just put in another berm and measured off firing points at 100/200/300/400/500 in the flat below the hacienda. If I put the target on the adjacent State land, I can get 1,000 yards.

It's living the dream!

Jbar4, that's a heck of a group. Will you tell me what your load is (I assume all responsibility for use, etc. etc.)? If you prefer, you can PM me.

Jbar4Ranch
May 4, 2011, 10:48 PM
Flash holes opened up to 3/32", cases fire formed and indexed, 65 grains volume Swiss 1 1/2 pre-compressed (I'd have to look up the compression), a cast 530 grain Postell bullet (Lyman) seated to the top of the upper grease groove with a mixture of soy wax & vegetable shortening for lube.

8shot357
May 5, 2011, 05:38 AM
In my back yard I have a ten round range in my back yard, but in Vegas when we hear the cop sirens we walk indoors.

That's what I get for shoot bottle rocket at (In the general direction) those neighbors dogs for barking just about 24/7.

Sleuth
May 5, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks Jbar4, I'm working up some smokless loads for my replica Sharps.

Jimmy10mm
May 5, 2011, 11:47 AM
Buddy of mine a few hours north of me has a range on his property. I can only wish. :p

aarondhgraham
May 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
Well, hate is perhaps too strong a word.

I have serious green-eyed envy for you all.

I do have a rather nice air rifle/pistol setup in my yard,,,
Now if I could just get the neighbors to quit calling the county sheriff when I go out to play.

The last time one pulled up in my yard he greeted me by name,,,
I asked him how long they were gonna keep doing this,,,
He said that when they call he had to respond,,,
What a waste of time and energy.

Fortunately my rifle/pistol club is only 40 minutes away,,,
It's open sunup to sundown 7 days a week,,,
And we are all range-masters.

Not as good as having your own,,,
But as close as I can get.

Again my friends,,,
Serious envy abounds.

Aarond

Mobuck
May 5, 2011, 08:10 PM
I've got a slanted steel plate backstop for up to 9mm/38sp in the yard plus 25 and 100 yard railroad tie backstops with dead solid bench for load accuracy testing just outside the yard gate suitable for most any rifle round. Also have 1/4 mile(440 yards) target stand from that bench. Up the drive 150 yards I have two steel shooting benches facing 150 and 300 meter steel swingers suitable for up to 30/06 fmj (7mm/300 mag soft point)plus a large target stand for testing wind drift and bullet drop@300 meters. If I want to go longer, that's just a matter of clipping a path and setting target supports at the right distance out to 1/2 mile.

Eagle Eye
May 5, 2011, 08:33 PM
I grew up with a 20 yard "range" in my basement -- in city limits! I learned to shoot there and got my BSA Marksmanship Merit Badge. Ahh.....the good ole days!:cool:

shortwave
May 5, 2011, 10:13 PM
150 yd range about 75yds from house deck. If I shoot from the deck, I can get 225yds. but the Mrs. gets a bit upset due to noise so I only shoot from deck when she's gone.:rolleyes:

Also an open, 75yd. combat course set up on back in the woods which includes a zip-line acrossed a ravine. The boys set the z-line up and have a blast shooting targets set up at various locations while traveling acrossed the ravine.
Last winter the guys would get in the ravine and throw snowballs up passed the guy on the z-line. The guy on the line would shoot the snowballs with our Taurus Judges. Talk about fun!:D. When it was my turn on the line, they all got their heads together and threw the snowballs at me rather than around me.:rolleyes: