PDA

View Full Version : Well, picked up my FIRST C&R Mil-Surp. Sako M39

kristop64089
April 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
After hem-hawwing on it for the last year, I decided to jump into the world of Mil-Surps by getting a 1943 Sako M39.

I have been looking at Mosins for so long that I was sick of it. I could never find the "right" gun. I really wanted an M44, but the prices are getting pretty high for me. I looked 91's till I was blue in the face, but just couldn't swallow the pill.

FINALLY I saw a local guy had one for sale, as well as another gun I was interested in, so I made my move.

First things first, I went to cleaning it. he had shot it, and spoke highly of its accuracy. The metal was still full of cosmoline, so I spent the better part of 6 hours swabbing her down. The wood is war-time and rough, but I don't notice any repairs. It's definitely seen some use though (which I like, it has HISTORY). Once I had the barrel cleaned, I took a look. What I see is:
- Bore is Bright
- Rifling is stong
- Grooves have some blemishes.

I was a little disappointed to see it. The bore isn't bad, but not pristine(I'd say GOOD). I had my reservations initially, because it's to hard to gauge with a pen light and a dirty barrel. On a 70 year old gun, there is no telling what the cleaning regimen has been.

The receiver is a 1907 Tula(IIRC), and looks great! The trigger is excellent for a Mil-Surp.

All in all, I am happy, as these things are impossible to find locally. He was asking $350 for it and some ammo. I felt that that was a little high, but by the time I transfer one, I'd be in the ball park.

So, a couple questions:
- What is the best way to bleed the cosmoline out of the stock, that does not require my oven?
- What is considered a "Bad Bore"
- Is there a pill I can take to curb my urge for an M44 and 91/30?;)

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm looking forward to it, as I heard these are incredible rifles.

p99guy
April 25, 2011, 04:52 PM
set it out in the sun, use blow drier
pitted!
Nope you have mosinitis...no pill, no cure...you can only treat the symtoms by buying more mosins or milsurps ;)

the finns redesigned the trigger...thats why they are a bit better.
they also improved the magazine.

pat burns(patricia) at gunsnammo.com has some beautiful M39s and others for sale all the time...polish M44's, east german marked 91/30 etc

welcome to the milsurp crew!

saands
April 25, 2011, 05:12 PM
The prescription that I normally make to cure the desire for an M44 or a 91/30 is usually a Finnish M-N ... I'm sorry to say that you won't likely be happy with the other ones, now that you have a Finn ... my guess is that all it will take is a purchase of one M-44 and you'll be cured. That being said, you will likely shift your sights onto more of the Finnish variety, though, so you won't have saved any $$$ :eek:

Saands

kristop64089
April 25, 2011, 05:44 PM
On the pitting:
- How bad does it hurt value or collect-ability?
- Is it uncommon in the Finns?

As far as the M44 goes, I know where I can pick one up for around $130, and I am tempted, but it's about 1-1/2 hours away.

I'll add that the bluing is STRONG on this one. I was surprised on such an old gun. I considered having one shipped in(after reading P99s prior threads) But decided on taking this one locally. I figure any M39 is better than none.

saands
April 25, 2011, 05:53 PM
I don't think that a little pitting is uncommon in any milsurp rifle ... obviously the more "unissued" the metal looks, the higher the value ... but for a monetization of the value I would suggest looking at the listings that Pat Burns has on her site ... there you can probably see that a frosty bore gets you a discount of X dollars off of a comparable rifle with a bright bore.

As long as it shoots well, I wouldn't be concerned about the pits at all!

Saands

tobnpr
April 25, 2011, 05:53 PM
For the cosmo on the stock, try putting it in a black plastic bag (Contractor bag) on a bed of newspapers. Seal it up, and place it on the dash of your car/truck in the sun, windows closed...

Is your concern about the bore related to value, or shooting?

I can't comment on value- as I own a couple of 91/30's (one action used for a LR custom rifle) and shoot them.
If you're going to shoot it, you should slug the bore to determine your bore/groove diameters.

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/

kristop64089
April 25, 2011, 06:55 PM
I have seen that method of cleaning mentioned quite often. That's probably how I'll do it.

As far as the pitting question:
It's mostly towards the collectable worth. I know as Mosins go, these are the ones to have, and I'm glad to have it. The pitting is minor, and truthfully, I need to clean the barrel better, to be more concise.

I'm slightly neurotic when it comes to my worldly possessions. I try to keep everything in excellent condition. I bought it to shoot it, and that's what I'll do. With a light in the chamber, the bore shines.

My concern with the pitting is minimal at best, and is more of a "curiosity" question, as this is one of my first Mil-Surps.(I lied in the title. I forgot I have had a few SKS's and an Enfield Jungle Carbine that had a dark bore but shot GREAT!)

p99guy
April 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
Now just find you a good Polish M44 to satisfy the folding bayonet itch :)