PDA

View Full Version : Sears roebuck Ted Williams model 100 30-30

Rancho
April 24, 2011, 07:30 PM
ok so I was handed this rifle and I am wondering if anyone has any clue about it's age and worth.
Sears roebuck Ted Williams model 100 30-30 ser#273.532140
V115356

thanks in advance

kozak6
April 24, 2011, 08:07 PM
Is it a lever action? Sounds like it's a relabeled Winchester 94.

Not sure about age. Price depends a great deal on condition.

Rancho
April 24, 2011, 08:10 PM
it's a lever action and yes it's identical to the winchester the conditions is close to excellent..

T. O'Heir
April 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
Ted Williams Model 100 is indeed a Winchester Model 94. It's value depends entirely on the condition. Worth roughly $300.

John Paty
April 24, 2011, 10:26 PM
It's a "post-64" New Model 94. This limits its collector value, which is reduced even more by being marked "Ted Williams" instead of Winchester. In like-new condition it might bring $300. I have one of these that belonged to my late Father-in law. Besides the sentimental value, it's just too handy to get rid of.

Rancho
April 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it. apparently my Brother-inlaw wants to keep it which is great , because he'll put it in his cabin for safe keeping and it's a great gun in excellent condition the stock has maybe one scratch on it and not one bit of pitting or rust..

jdscholer
April 25, 2011, 09:31 AM
This harkens back to the day when large department stores such as Sears, Wards, JCPenney, etc., promoted their own brand name logos on sporting goods and guns.
As I recall, Ted Williams was the J. C. Penny brand.
Cabelas kind of does the same thing with scopes, bows, and other stuff. jd

Hawg
April 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
Ted Williams was a Sears brand along with Ranger and J.C. Higgins. I think Penny's were marked Penny's. Revelation was a Western Auto brand.

BrittB
April 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
Those were the days my friend, good times!

Rancho
April 26, 2011, 07:42 AM
absolutely , the sears roebuck co. used the Ted Williams name for a whole array of outdoor sporting stuff. I actually just sold a boat with a Ted Williams 5hp motor.. I remember buying it and saying wow that thing is as old as I am and of course it was , it's a 1968..
I really wish my brother-in-law wanted to sell me the rifle it's in mint condition.

smoakingun
April 26, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have the same rifle, just to add my two cents, even though it is a rebadged winchester, the parts are not completely interchangeable

John Paty
April 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
As far as the age of the rifle, it would have been made between 1964 and 1980.

BrittB
April 28, 2011, 09:22 PM
About what year did they go from being JC Higgins to Ted Williams? I have a JC Higgins Model 20 12 gauge of unknown year and I have a 1961 JC Higgins Mainliner Bicycle so it must have after 61 anyway.

Rancho
April 30, 2011, 08:39 AM
not too sure but JC Higgins was a manufacturer that made rifles for many brand lines including Marlin.
The Ted Williams line was just a marketing brand through sears. They branded many sporting goods with Ted's name from 64 til around 1980 apparently.

BrittB
April 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
JC Higgins was a brand name invented by Sears to market it's sporting goods line. The gun products were made by other companies like High Standard, Winchester, and Remington.

PetahW
May 1, 2011, 01:09 PM
Sears & Roebuck's "lower" entry grade guns were usually branded "Sears".

The next step up, were the "J.C.Higgins" marked guns.

The "top-of-the-line" @ Sears were marketed as "Ted Williams".

The lowest grades usually had uncheckered non-walnut stocks; the Higgin's were sometimes checkered non-walnut; and the T.W.'s had pressed-checkered walnut stocks.

The various makers, who stamped their guns for Sears, was: Antonio Zoli, Boito, CBC, Cooey, FIE, High Standard, H&R, Ithaca, Laurona, Marlin, Mossberg, Sako, Savage (Stevens/Springfield), Voere, & Winchester.