PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P95??

fortkevin2
April 22, 2011, 04:25 PM
I will be picking up a Ruger P95 chambered in 9mm later next week. It's DA/SA has a decocker and is stainless. Comes with two mags and box. Looks like new. $250 + Tax. Seemed like a great deal to me.

What can you tell me about them? Pros? Cons? What do you recommend holster wise? This will be a range toy not a CHP firearm. Thanks!!

jimdandy13
April 22, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I looked at Glocks but the cost drove me away. Because I have a Ruger Model I 22, from 1950 something that still works perfectly, Ruger was on my short list and now the P95 is in my arsenal.

Mine is black and polymer, not stainless like yours . I bought it new for $310 a year and half ago. I like it because I have a big paw and it fits nice. It is also not a concealed carry. I think it's too big and has lots of things to catch material, etc. Since day one I have put at least 1000 rounds through it without a single jam or miss fire.

The only problem I had was my own fault. Cleaning it, i put the slide back on and got it jammed because the barrel wasn't in the right position. Again, dumb on my part. It had to go to a smith and be taken completely apart.

The sights are nice and it's accurate. I think you'll like it.

dpetreikis
April 22, 2011, 04:35 PM
P95s are great guns for the money, $250 for one in excellent condition is pretty good. They're virtually indestructible and almost always dead reliable, too. They seem bigger than they actually are. I've owned 2 of them and might pick up another, should a good deal come my way. I carried mine IWB with a cheap Uncle Mike's holster, if I remember correctly, would've been more comfortable with an OWB rig though. As far as holsters, if yours is to be strictly a range toy and never carried, why bother with a holster at all? I'd use the money for ammo instead, take my new toy to the range and have fun!

Fiv3
April 22, 2011, 05:31 PM
My buddy picked one up a few months ago, and he loves it. I shoot a P-89 which is a bit blockier and bigger, but we have a good time taking our Ruger 9's out for a walk from time to time:)

Single Six
April 22, 2011, 05:47 PM
If, after you've inspected the gun, it looks like it's in good shape...scoop it up. The lower-than-usual price would make me want to really check it out thoroughly, but if it looks okay, I'd get it. Ruger makes super-tough guns and they are ultra-reliable to boot. If all you want it for is range work, I'd go with one of those Uncle Mike's nylon jobs for a holster. Have fun!

Kreyzhorse
April 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
If it checks out, that's a very good price on a very good gun. The P95 isn't sexy, but it's reliable and accurate and well made and should last you a lifetime.

Shane Tuttle
April 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
I bought the exact model/finish as you did. I put it through the wringer with several different brands of factory ammo and multitudes of different reloads. It was very reliable and forgiving. It was one of the softest shooting 9mm handguns I've ever shot. It made me a believer in polymer firearms.

The drawback for me is the decocker. I'm in habit to slingshot and it really gets in the way. It's a bit bulky for carry (though you're using it for range purposes). It's combat accurate, but not that's it. The sights are fair in the ease of use department. Investing in a $10 slip-on Hogue grip helped with sweaty hands. Trigger is pretty gritty. But it's a $250 firearm, not a $500 one. If you keep that in mind, you're going to have no disappointments. Ruger's CS is outstanding if ever the unfortunate need arises.

thinktwice
April 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. I had one a while back, and wish I still had it. Like someone said they are not pretty (but neither is Glock) but they are very reliable and will last a lifetime.

Mosin44az
April 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
My decocker P95 was my first pistol, and in terms of reliability, the best I've ever owned. 3500 rounds U.S.-spec. ammo with no malfs.....

Main flaw for me was it was a bit big for my hand on the DA pull. Handled recoil comfortably, shot well, the trigger smoothed out over time. Slide action is oddly slow, but it gets the job done! I added a Pachmayr slip-on to aid with grip. Night sights from PT . A great gun at a great price, as far as I'm concerned.

I even prefer the decocker to the safety you have to push up again. Don't know if they still offer the decocker-only model.

Amin Parker
April 23, 2011, 06:31 AM
Thats a very very good gun. One of the sleepers in the pistol world.

shoota40
April 23, 2011, 11:04 PM
they r great guns, ive had mine a few months now n its a shooter, easy on recoil , trigger way better than glock. this gun is as good as most guns at twice ur price!

Pops 1
April 24, 2011, 07:21 AM
More bang for your bucks.

jmortimer
April 24, 2011, 09:22 AM
All the Ruger semi-autos are great guns and I agree the P Series are sleepers. They are a great deal and as reliable as semi-autos get.

ESI Agent
April 24, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have two P95 had three, wished I still had my first generation but sold it. It had 19650 thru it when the extractor broke. Sent it back to Ruger, they fixed it for free. Its a great gun that will do the same thing the higher priced guns will do, but do it for alot less. It's durable/reliable and made in the U.S.:cool:

WESHOOT2
April 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
A friend made USPSA A Class in Production using his.

(Then he bought a S&W M&P, tweaked it, and is now Master).