PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine new or vintage

Teammiller
April 20, 2011, 04:07 AM
Sorry had a typo in my last post. I saw 2 vintage m1 .30 carbine for around 800 bucks and a brand new model for the same price.. I was wondering if these are cool guns to shoot and which way to go new or used

Sport45
April 20, 2011, 04:15 AM
I'm fond of the USGI models. They're fun to shoot, but the ammo is not cheap, not powerful, and they're not terribly accurate.

What are you looking for in a rifle?

Teammiller
April 20, 2011, 04:19 AM
Something light short and semiautomatic... Is the ruger mini 14 in the .223 I think, a better round? Much cooler looking anyway.. Do u have any other rifle suggestions?

kraigwy
April 20, 2011, 07:45 AM
They're fun to shoot, but the ammo is not cheap

Unless you get it from CMP, 500 rounds for $200. Good accurate ammo, non-corrosive, and re-loadable brass.

Go with the USGI, more reliable, and if you so choose, you can shoot it in CMP-GSM Carbine Matches.

carprivershooter
April 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have a vintage and a new m1 carbine. Fun to shoot, yes, yes they are. I Think they they can be accurate, I reload for mine, and at 50 and a 100 yds i can get 2-3in groups with iron sights. Low recoil. with some load development you can use the carbine to hunt white tail deer. If you look real hard you might find a vintage rifle for $500.00. as you saw a new one at $800.00 I have a bum shoulder so shooting a low recoil rifle for me is fun.

tAKticool
April 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
How much would a '70sish M1 Carbine that was fired a few handfuls and stored away for 20 years ? Jussssst wondering that's all just wondering

COSteve
April 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
Well, it's not a USGI M1 Carbine because they stopped making them in August 1945 so it's one of the less desirable commercial versions.

starbuck125
April 20, 2011, 08:57 PM
this is one of many rifles that i want to own someday.:D

tAKticool
April 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
The box had a price sticker fromKmArt on the box -- I'll try t get more info plz and thx for all the help

the rifleer
April 20, 2011, 09:52 PM
If you just want a fun small semi auto, mini 14 is your best bet. The m1 carbine is fantastic, but you need to seriously consider the ammo cost. The .223 is cheaper, much easier to find, more accurate, and probably more powerful.

If you want a piece of history, get the m1 carbine. If you want something neat and fun to shoot, get the mini 14. I have shot both and love both. They are both light and fun to shoot. The m1 is the one I prefer, but If I was to buy one I would get the mini 14 due to ammo cost/availability.

gak
April 20, 2011, 09:53 PM
Get the vintage if you find a nice one in your budget. Original/GIs that came back immediately after the war(s) - or never left our soil is preferable, generally. Some "imports" (or more accurately re-imports, USGIs that were given to foreign governments - that have come back) can actually be fine guns. It's just that their history - use, possible mis-use/abuse and iffy storage conditions - is often more of an unknown factor and therefore purchase *can* be more of a ****shoot. They are usually cheaper, and I'd take a nice one of these - usually marked "Blue Sky" on the barrel, denoting the in-take arsenal back in the U.S. - over a new commercial one. JMO. Consider each on a case-by-case basis, on its own merit. Regardless of source, among rifle or "carbine-type" choices, the M1 .30 Carbine is an excellent--in some ways the best--close-in home defense round/weapon especially loaded with modern SP ammo.

Other "close-in" pistol-caliber carbine choices to consider would include the Beretta CX series (9mm, .40 and .45), and discontinued Marlin Camp carbine (45 and IIRC 9mm)) Ruger PC series (9mm amd .40). None has the range of the .223 (AR 15) or .30 Carbine for that matter, but you can't argue their handiness factor (either) and magazines interchangeable with some pistols.

madcratebuilder
April 21, 2011, 07:23 AM
I would avoid any of the commercial M1 carbines. The prices on GI carbines is skyrocketing, if you can find something for under $600 you better grab it.

P5 Guy
April 21, 2011, 07:52 PM
.30 Carbiine 110 gr bullet at about 1900 fps from the 16 inch barrel,under powered?
What would a 110gr 357 mag be from the same length barrel?
FMJ is the disadvantage.

chris in va
April 21, 2011, 09:50 PM
I don't know about now, but last May the Camp Perry CMP store had M1 Carbines for ~$450. Gotta act quick though, some dealer came in early and bought all nine when I was there to get my M1 Garand.

kraigwy
April 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
I don't know about now, but last May the Camp Perry CMP store had M1 Carbines for ~$450. Gotta act quick though, some dealer came in early and bought all nine when I was there to get my M1 Garand.

They sold out last summer. The only carbines they have now are the special acution pieces and they are a bit pricy.

Sport45
April 22, 2011, 12:26 AM
30 Carbiine 110 gr bullet at about 1900 fps from the 16 inch barrel,under powered?
What would a 110gr 357 mag be from the same length barrel?

These guys (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html) show 125gr JHP at 2100fps and a 130gr Hydrashok at 2000 fps from a 16" Winchester '94. I'm not sure why the 110gr would have clocked in at less than 1800fps.

The M1 Carbine did great at what it was supposed to do. But It's not a tack driver, it's not powerful, at at $20 a box for ammo I don't think they're cheap to shoot. Mine seems to like the steel cased stuff that I bought for $13 a box earlier this year.

My opinion of the power and accuracy doesn't keep me from liking them. :)

BerdanSS
April 22, 2011, 01:01 AM
The M1 carbine is one of my top five "fun to shoot guns''. Don't really know what it is about those little buggers, but they are just plain fun to blast pop cans @ 50-75 yards with. The down side being like most others have said, is the cost of the .30 carbine round. Back when I first got the chance to shoot one (and I got to shoot it a LOT) new production brass cased .30 carbine was around $12 for a fifty round box.

Unless you reload or have a lot of the .30 carbine laying around, .223 will most likely be cheaper to shoot in the long run. But what is more important to you? M1--Less shooting for your $$ and more fun, or other carbines--more shooting for your $$ and less fun? Realistically speaking...is the M1 a tack driver? No, it isn't..it was never intended to be. But if you practice enough with it, a mini-14 wont do much better at the range most people shoot either of these carbines anyhow.

And while the mini-14 is a fun little "plinker" carbine also (Not much more than a plinker rifle in my opinion) the accuracy is mediocre at best, for the same price...I'd rather own a piece of American History. That and I think the M1 Carbine is about, if not the coolest looking little carbine ever made. Much better looking than the mini-14 (in my opinion). If your gonna shell out the cash for a mini-14 and shoot .223, you may as well just build a decent AR-15 and have a versatile, modular tack driver.

gak
April 22, 2011, 12:32 PM
My two un-messed-with (one in family hands since '45) Inlands are very accurate out to--and including--100, and that's not only all they need to be but as far as my peepers will take me with iron sights anyway. They're also hell on old car doors and fenders in the river bottom (back in the day) and, from what I've heard, very effective SD/HD with modern SPs. One of mine has that role with confidence, but thankfully not had to be tested.

tAKticool
April 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
CAPT Stuart,

Could I trouble you for a few Mins of your time? I'm hoping to get some PMs about your expertise : I overheard a few cHaps vigorously disscu issuing said M1 carbine. One of them had (has?$ ) a former ? LEO who bought hisself kmarts finest M1Carbine. Never almost never saw any use. I'm told it might not have a handful of mGz thru it. Atory goes thT it was never used anyway so it was packed up awful tight , super snugglesafe and sound .... And ther it sat protected by layers upon layers of smurfberru magic ... How much would such a smurfcarbine be Worth , dare you smurf a guess on my smurfs behind?

kraigwy
April 22, 2011, 04:33 PM
I don't know what "smurfs" are.

I only deal with USGI Carbines. The value of, depends on if one is a collector or shooter. I'm a shooter so don't keep up with the collector series.

As far as commercial Carbines they are not authorized in CMP match's so they are of no use to me, I don't know what they are worth. I suppose like anything else it's what the market will bare.